Kimber solo 9mm vs springfield armory 9mm subcompact

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by schnelting21, Feb 4, 2012.

1. schnelting21

schnelting21 New Member

I'm trying to figure out which one I want but not for sure.. I'm gonna use it as a ccw... What do yall think I should go with need opinions on both guns...

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Which Springfield are you referring to? XD? XDm? EMP?

3. schnelting21

schnelting21 New Member

4. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I'm a fan of Kimber...own 2 1911's. That said, the solo is brand new...some problems as I understand that are still being worked out. The XD9 sub is proven, and half the cost.

For your purposes, I'd go with the SAXD. I have one of them also, and have zero complaints.

5. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

The solo has the long steady DAO pull of a revolver while the SA or at least the XDM,line has a short reset trigger. Two different animals and both have their champions.

Go to a range and get the opportunity to fire both. (best way to avoid buyers remorse) Kahr & Ruger are also viable alternatives. I've seen PM 9 on sale recently for under $600 @ Gunsamerica.

Do you need an external safety ? Night sights ? Is weight or capacity an issue ? Is this decision budget driven? ( X < $500 or $1000 etc.)

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Springfield for sure!

7. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

If the choice is between the Kimber or a Springfield I would get the Springfield hands down. Don't forget to take customer service and warranty into account when buying a gun. Springfield has a great warranty (lifetime) and stands behind their product with great customer service.
    From what I have read on numerous forums Kimbers customer service is not that great and they only give you a one year warranty on their gun. If you have a problem after that it is on you. This would make a HUGE difference for me.

8. schnelting21

schnelting21 New Member

I want a external safety cuz I have a son... And it's for conceal and carry I have a budget of 900

9. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Not discounting what you say, but I've never used customer service or warranty for ANY gun I own. And I own MANY guns. Never even considered to ask about a warranty.

I own two Kimbers, as well as a SAXD. They are all fine weapons.

I do understand however, that others feel differently and I understand and respect y'alls POV...

10. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

First of all, you are comparing apples and oranges. The new Solo is meant to be a pocket gun. The XD subcompact is definitely NOT a pocket gun. Bigger. Bulkier. Heavier.

Having said that, I've never fired a Solo, but I'd have two concerns which would make me choose the Springfield. One, Kimber has a reputation for spotty quality control of late, which Springfield does not. Also, Gun Tests Magazine gave the Solo a relatively low grade. One thing they didn't like was the comfort level, or lack of therein. They complained of harsh recoil, magnified by an uncomfortable grip. One tester refused to continue after the gun made his hand bleed. By comparison, my Kahr CM9, which is the same size as the solo, is very comfortable to shoot. I can put a box of 50 rounds through my Kahr, non stop, and not even have a sore hand.

But again, they are very different guns, designed for a different purpose. Keep that in mind.

11. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Oh, and I just noticed you said you want an external safety, which the Springfield does not have. Nor does my Kahr.

12. schnelting21

schnelting21 New Member

I know it don't have a safety but i like the fact that it's got the grip and the trigger safety.. Compared to the Kimber it has no safety features that I'm aware of.. Plus the more rounds compared to the solo...

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

You can get the M&P with an external thumb safety

14. schnelting21

schnelting21 New Member

But how much does the M&P cost

15. wbaker

wbaker New Member

Kel-tech p-11 good price good ccw

16. schnelting21

schnelting21 New Member

Yea I'm just looking for a good gun for under 900 that has alot of rounds and is good for ccw

17. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I think the model with the external safety are right at $600

18. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Isn't the Solo the one that requires Kimber recommended ammo? If not please correct me. I've read/heard (FWIW) that they are extremely hit or miss as reliability goes.
    I own a XD40SC, it simply just works.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  19. schnelting21

schnelting21 New Member

I never heard about the kimber solo having to us kimber ammo... I know it has to have high quality ammo

20. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I wouldnt think that kimber would recommend certain ammo, then they would have to add another excuse to feed their customers when the gun didnt function properly