Kimber problem

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by 1911Shooter, Oct 27, 2012.

1. 1911Shooter

1911Shooter New Member

Hello all! I have a Kimber ultra raptor II. After cleaning it today I did my usual safety check and low and behold, epic fail. Put the safety on, pulled the trigger and that was fine however as I disengaged the safety it dropped to half cock. The weapon did this repeatedly so I broke it down to check the sear which looked good. I did the same check with just the frame without fail. I put the slide back on and back to fail. It only fails with the slide in place. This weapon only has 300 rounds through it.. Thanks for any help

2. rock185

rock185 Member

Hello 1911Shooter, I'll give this a shot. From a distance, this sounds like what Colt would call "scant safety". This is a situation where the thumb safety, in the safe position, allows the sear to move slightly when the safety is on and the trigger pulled. The sear has moved slightly from under the hammer's full-cock notch, to a point where the hammer fallls when the safety lever is pushed down to the fire position, allowing the sear to move rhat last little bit from underneath the hammer's full cock notch.

When you do the same check with the slide removed, the thumb safety can move up more than when the slide is installed. That is, the safety is not stopped by the V-notch in the slide. The lug of the thumb safety can then move just a little further, stopping the sear from moving and the hammer falling when the safety is pushed down to the fire position. This is why the thumb safety is always fitted with the slide mounted normally on the frame. This is a very unsafe condition. Whether or not I am right on this, it definitely needs to go back to the manufacturer for warranty repair. I would strongly suggest that the gun not be loaded or fired until this defect is repaired...ymmv

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I wouldn't send it to the factory just yet. Go to a quality gun shop and have a 1911 gunsmith look it over. I have a Kimber TLE II. Love it.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Carefully look at the parts involved and how they line up. I think you can figure it out. If not, bring it to a smith or send to manufacturer depending on which is cheaper. If it worked before you took it apart it is likely something minor you are missing. The gun is unsafe at this point.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

How many rounds have you shot through it?
    Get your Kuhnhausen book out and measure the length of the disconnector or see if the disconnector is worn.

If the slide does not push the disconnector down far enough, it still could have contact with the sear.

6. 1911Shooter

1911Shooter New Member

Alright I have pulled it apart a few times now and can't find the problem though I do suspect it is in the safety. Next stop will be the gunsmith to see if I am overlooking something. I will keep ya'all posted and thanks for your help!

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

If it's under a year old, call Kimber. It's not just a crappy finish job, it's a safety issue. It's their responsibility to fix it.
    This is why you buy stuff new, because they have to fix it under warranty if it screws up.

8. 1911Shooter

1911Shooter New Member

Ok so gunsmith says that the Kimber ambi safety appears to have worn and looks like it was filed to fit wrong at the factory

9. 1911Shooter

1911Shooter New Member

I am having the Kimber ambi changed to a Wilson single side with the wide lever and this should fix the problem. Luck of the MiM batch I guess. Still love my Kimber.

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

You're nicer than I would be. 300 rds isn't even enough for Kimber Corp. to consider it properly broken in. Yet one of their top of the range Ultra (Pricey) Raptors has a failure of a key safety feature due to poor workmanship? I'd be a bit PO'd.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  11. 1911Shooter

1911Shooter New Member

Don't get me wrong.... I am not happy about it lol, however I also know better than to replace a POS part with another just like it. Otherwise I would just send it back to them for repairs. Wilson makes a good product so Instead of paying for shipping and waiting who knows how long to get back a weapon with the same parts I am just cutting to the chase and keeping my piece of mind by putting a good safety in. :-/ you are very right though, a weapon that costs as much as a Kimber should be right from the get go. Colt or SA next time!

12. rock185

rock185 Member

!911, I concur with what your gunsmith found. An improperly fitted safety causes the scant safety situation I described. I have handled new guns in gunshops, including Colts BTW, that display this defect from the factory. Safties,even Kimber MIM, don't wear to an unsafe condition within a few hundred, or a few thousands, of rounds. However, thumb safeties are NOT drop as some seem to believe, and an extra file stroke or two during fitting, at the factory or otherwise, requires starting over with a new safety. Yours was apparently fitted wrong at the factory. This is a serious and unacceptable safety issue, no matter how expensive, or inexpesive, the gun is. The 1911 armorers schools go through quite a few new, unfitted, safeties in teaching students how to fit them correctly. The Wilson safeties are a good choice, IMHO. They also require fitting of course, but I've had no issues in fitting or durability in use...ymmv

13. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

It's a Kimber what did you expect. Sell it and get a real gun.

14. 1911Shooter

1911Shooter New Member

Thanks Rock! And you were very right about the scant issue. I am very thankful for everyone's input!

15. cuba

cuba New Member

You need a new safety there is to much of a gap between the sear and the sear engagement area of the safety lug.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

You change the safety, you void the paltry 1 yr warranty.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  17. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

I think I'd have put in a Wilson safety too. A buddy of mine had his fairly new Kimber go off when he dropped it(the thumb safety was on too). He called Kimber and they built him a new pistol, however, I would have demanded my money back.......what's to say they won't build his new pistol wrong?

18. 1911Shooter

1911Shooter New Member

Lol I would hope not.. But one never knows.. I did have the Wilson installed and the weapon is working like a Swiss watch now. I am happy that I went with the Wilson parts even if it voids kimbers "warranty".

19. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

My gun dealer has an older Kimber, one of the so called "Series 1" guns. The thing is built like a tank and is fit wonderfully. It kind of upsets me-the direction Kimber went. Nevertheless, there are still many people who love them, they shoot pretty well still, and I hope that yours brings you many years of great shooting!

20. rustyruger

rustyruger New Member

A Real Gun.....

You mean a wheel gun?.....heee....heee.:D