Kimber Pro recoil spring

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by rugerjazzkohai, Feb 5, 2012.

1. rugerjazzkohai

rugerjazzkohai New Member

Range day and my Kimber Pro Raptor II pooped out on me. Recoil spring issue. I purchased it new in December 2011 and proudly it fed thru over 1200 rounds, but now noticeably, it almost slides forward 98% and I have to push it the final 2. AFTER each shot almost. I know the manual says to replace the spring around 800 rounds and it's an easy fix, but I'm curious...does anyone else have a 4 inch 1911 (any brand other than Kimber) that doesn't need to be changed out as often? I have a 5 inch 1911 by RIA that has well over 2-3k rounds but haven't changed it yet nor had an issue. Thanks all.

2. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

I was really shocked when my 4" Kimber needed a new recoil spring at around 800rds. When removed it was really strange looking, I thought the new replacement was the wrong spring Kimber had sent.

The I found was nothing new to the 4" Kimbers. I soon traded my 4" off and sure don't miss fighting them springs on.

3. rugerjazzkohai

rugerjazzkohai New Member

Thank u rifleshooter. Luckily I found a takedown tool on eBay that makes the exchange of springs easier. I think it's a sales ploy to generate more money.