Kimber owners. I have an ammo question.

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by DarinCraft, Dec 27, 2010.

1. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Since CA has decided its new effort to fight crime is to limit good citizens I am forced to order bulk ammo for my Kimber Custom II without the convenience of trying out several brands before I order.

So my question is. If you own a Kimber what ammo (brand, grain and type please) works the best in your gun? I was looking at Speer Lawman, but looking at reviews for brands like Magtech, or Prvi Partizan are good as well.

Please help and thanks
    Darin

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

What model do you have? My Kimber Pro Carry eats anything I throw at it. If I had to pick a brand I would stay with Federal because I like their brass for reloading and I carry HSTs daily.

3. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

thanks Spitty, it's a Custom II

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

My pro carry 45 ran everything without a hitch, as long as it wasn't a chip McCormick magazine.

My stainless target II 10mm only hitched on light loads during the breakin.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Been a while since I had a Kimber but I put lots of different ammo thru them. The Speer Lawman is good stuff, Magtech is OK but seems a bit dirtier than most, and I've shot a bunch of Prvi Partisan. Now I'm referring of course to 230gr ball ammo. As far as defensive ammo, that's a much tougher selection and requires some testing with your gun...

6. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Kimber Ultra Carry II

My wifes gun had major problems with Remington in the green and yellow box. It would however to very well with Winchester in the white box. Both 230 gr. Both round ball. Hers was with a ramped barrel, mine is not and it takes anything I throw at it. I know nothing about the two choices you mention.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Use good mags, and after a break in they should eat anything.

8. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Once again your guys' advice helps a ton. Thanks, I think I'll order the Speer FMJ since its the cheapest with the best reviews and is NGIB approved.

As far as the mags are concerned, I haven't bought any because I'm really torn between two brands...Trips and the WC 47d's. It seems that some guns like Trip and an equal amount like Wilson.

9. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Darin, I have a Custom II as well and I will say that mine digested every round of Speer ammo that I put through it, but it did not group extremely well. As far as factory loaded stuff, my pistol seemed to have an affinity for good ol Blazer, the brass and aluminum cased stuff. I have since gone to handloading for it, but in a pinch, Blazer works great, and is cheap cheap.

I use a Wilson Combat magazine in it tooo, and it's the only one I use. The KimPro Tac Mag is ok, but my Wilson is my go to.

10. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Thanks Squirrel that is great info. I'll look at the Blazer brass. Whatever I get it needs to be brass cased so I can reload whenever I get off my butt and start that new venture.

11. Squirrel_Slayer

When you do, CCI large pistol primers, 6.2 grains of Herco, and regular 230 grain FMJ ball ammo, and your Kimber will be as happy as a clam. You can go one or two tenths of a grain higher with the powder if you want, but it's really not needed.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

For carry and HD I have it loaded with Speer Gold Dot 185gr ammo. I have shot all sorts of stuff from the really light reloads I use for target practice to the full boar 230gr SD ammo. Nothing has ever failed to feed on me.

13. Squirrel_Slayer

Don't know why, but my Kimber HATES 185's! It's not that they won't feed, I just can't hit the broad side of a barn with them.

14. spittinfire

The only reason my Kimber doesn't like 185s is because I don't. I've put hundreds of them thru it but I prefer a heavier bullet.

15. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

I was looking at ballistics info for the 230 and the 185. Even though I understand what I was reading about as well as a cheerleader understands Quantum Physics:eek:, it looked like the 230 and the 185 were a toss. So the price told me to get the 230's....:D

Squirrel, do you have ESP?..I swear you answered that before I even knew I wanted to ask it...lol

Thanks guys
    Darin

16. spittinfire

If you want a reciepe I put 5.6grs of Universal under a 230gr slug. My Kimber loves them.