Kimber or Ruger

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by mrb1982, May 31, 2011.

1. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I am fairly new to shooting handguns but have a hankering to get a 1911. Although I obviously like some of the higher end guns, I think it would be wise to start out with something a little bit less. What has caught my eye is the Kimber Custom series and the new Ruger SR1911. I've read a fair amount in some searches that I have done on here. Just kinda curious on any other input. Personally at this point I am leaning toward something like a Kimber Custom or TLE. Any opinion/factual input would be great. Thanks.

2. KMO

KMO New Member

Ruger, Hands Down

You will not be disappointed if you go with the Ruger. The SR1911 is going to cut into the sales of so-called "higher end" 1911's because Ruger is offering a comparable pistol at a much more reasonable price. The fit, finish, & performance are outstanding. And, since it's made where the good stuff is, don't forget the dead rattlesnake grips...

[​IMG]

3. towboater

towboater Active Member

4. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i would go with the ruger.

5. DinkyDauDon

DinkyDauDon New Member

For your first 1911 you can't go wrong picking the Ruger. Shoot the heck out of it then figure out what you want different for your second one...thrust me, there will be a second!

[​IMG]

6. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

lol well said hahahaha

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Get a Kimber!

I'll wait on a Ruger. While everything I have heard about them has been good so far, they haven't had them out long enough to really tell.

I wonder how many SR1911's have been sold?

I can tell you how many Kimber's.......50,000-60,000 a year for quite some time. You hear a few complaints about Kimber, but not bad at all if you compare the numbers!

8. B1911

B1911 New Member

Would it be wrong to suggest a Springfield Armory? Maybe the Mil-Spec, Range Officer, or Loaded? If you've already narrowed down to the Ruger or Kimber, then that's cool -- I just have no direct experience with them.

9. relichound

relichound New Member

10. relichound

relichound New Member

no kidding you got more .45s than an armory lol like the custom grips with initials btw

11. utf59

utf59 New Member

I've seen too many negative reports about Kimber for me to give them my money, especially when there are so many other 1911 manufacturers selling around the same price point.

I fondled one of the Rugers in the shop and loved it, but I haven't had the chance to shoot one. My only concerns with Ruger are: 1) their new models frequently have bugs and 2) their "improved" internal extractor. I don't know what they mean by "improved." If that means that only the Ruger extractor will fit it, then I wouldn't be thrilled. If the extractor on another brand of 1911 doesn't perform, you can always replace it with a Wilson or some other after-market part; but if you can only use their extractor and it sucks, you're stuck.

12. DinkyDauDon

DinkyDauDon New Member

I've got three Kimbers...only problem I ever had was with the first one, it didn't like the mag that came with it, got the Kim-Pros and the problem went away. The other two came with the Kim-Pros...NO PROBLEMS! Shot the heck out of my Ruger and I think it is outstanding, currently in the shop getting ambi-safety installed, that and my custom monogramed grips are the only changes I will make to it.

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Check the numbers. How many Kimber 1911's do they put out in a year comparatively? Ofcourse you are going to read bad reviews. They have many many more customers!!

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Dinky Dau

Now those are some fine 1911 style pistols. Are they all 45s? If you are running out of room in your gun safe I will be glad to store some of them for you. Seriously those are some fine pieces you have there! And KIM's picture of the New Ruger is also impressive. I have never held one or checked them out at the present time. Looks good!

15. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I really like the ruger also. The only real negative thing I have heard about it is it being cast vs forged. I don't think for the amount of shooting I will be doing with it that it would be a problem for me, but is something kinda at the back of my mind I guess.

16. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Just the frame of the Ruger is cast-the slide is machined. I wouldn't even give the fact that the frame is cast a second thought. After all, Ruger pioneered the mass casting process (investment cast lost wax process) for firearms. I've never heard of a casting part from Ruger failing with 1st hand experience. Having said all that there's nothing wrong with Kimbers.

17. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Apparently you haven't read my review :D http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f76/kimber-america-kimber-stainless-tle-ii-41042/

Exactly, it is the same reason people see so many Glock problems. There are simply more of them!

18. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Another VERY happy multiple Kimber owner (not just 1911s but rifles too). BUT I would not hesitate to buy a Ruger 1911. You should check out the Springfield Armory Loaded too. A lot f gun for the money.

19. DinkyDauDon

DinkyDauDon New Member

All .45acp...plenty of room left in the vault...have a second Fusion on order should be coming around the end of August.

20. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

would it be safe to say that there isn't just one specific good brand out there, that there are multiple makers with great weapons. Like this Ruger, I really really like the way it looks, and it has a fairly tempting price tag on it. You guys are doing a fair job of talking me into one. hahahaha