Kimber or rock island

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by stone2, Mar 18, 2010.

1. stone2

stone2 New Member

I want a KIMBER but the ROCK ISLAND is more in my price range. Should I wait until i can get the KIMBER.I dont no anything about the ROCK ISLAND.

2. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

I'm not qualified to answer, but I saw a Rock Island at a shop by my place, and it looked nice. The price is really nice! :)

You can pick one up from Centerfire Systems for $420.

Rock Island 1911 .45ACP Tactical Handgun Part #AC-RI1911TAC

3. hiredhelp

hiredhelp New Member

Howdy.... The Kimbers that I have had the pleasure to fire work flawlessly (as they should). A couple years ago, I purchased two RIA 1911's and gave them to my daughters for Christmas. As a "Good" parent, I felt it was my duty to try them out before I wrapped them. Both of the RIA's (out of the box) were able to keep all of their rounds in a 2 1/2" group at 25 yards. I am a very poor shot but I was happy with the results. Unless you are going in for "Match Shooting", the RIA should do what ever you would need. They have never had any problems with them and our oldest has put well over a 1000 rounds through her 1911. JMHO

1911.....enough said!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

RIA will be a good starter and solid performing 1911. IMO, if that it is all you can afford at this time, it is better to have a 1911 now, than wait. Lots of things could happen in between that wait empty handed, while saving for that Kimber, and lots of range time could be had, if you had that RI.

I would get it, shoot it and shoot it a lot. Once you have the money, trade up or get the Kimber, or better yet, have two 1911's.

It is always better to work your way towards quality and appreciate any brand, while learning the basics of a fine pistol platform like the 1911. YMMV

Jack

5. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

I have both. The Kimber has OTB features that the RIA doesn't, bust cost twice as much. IMHO, you can't go wrong with the RIA if that is what your budget supports.

regards

Steve

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have 1911s ranging from a RIA GI to a Springer Legend TGO as well as a Kimber Gold Match. Nothing wrong with a Rock Island as an entry level 1911 - they're good guns. No, you wont have the fit and finish of a higher $$$ gun - but it will shoot well. My little RIA GI that I picked up cheap had a bit of slop in the trigger and the spur hammer bit me so $40 at Brownell's and the problems are gone. To see they shoot OK, look at this thread:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/little-ria-24326/

Attached Files:

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

8. crushreport

crushreport New Member

Have never owned either, but ya know what the man says ya get what ya pay for, but also buyer beware. I'm no help sorry:eek:

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I love my kimber.

[​IMG]

I need to take some new pictures. :)

10. user4

user4 New Member

No denying Kimber quality, but the Rock Island guns are AWESOME for the price.

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Quoted for truth. Yes, I have some higher-end 1911s but the RIAs are a great value and good shooters...

12. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

I have 9 Kimbers and 3 Rock Islands. The Rocks are great guns. Especially for the money. Absolutely reliable and very accurate. Centerfiresystems.com has great prices on them and are good to deal with.

13. byrdman

byrdman New Member

I have a Kimber Custom II and a Metro Arms i.e. Firestorm, American Classic II made in the Philippines as well and it just runs and runs. I believe it has a better trigger than the Kimber. I like it so much that I will probably trade or sell the Kimber. With the Firestorm I don't worry about scratching it or any thing. The Kimber I do. With the Rock if you put the dreaded IDIOT scratch in it who cares, if you are new to the 1911 its a good possibility. You can always spend more and move up later.

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Just gonna throw this in, while you are looking, check out the Springfield Armory 1911's. Just putting it out there. :D

15. kansas45

kansas45 Member

I've never owned a Kimber. I wore out a Springfield Mil-Spec. Great pistol. Instead of rebuilding it, I sold the Springer & bought a RIA GI. Good right out of the box, but I did a lot of work on it & now it is really good. Bought a RIA Tactical, but it couldn't keep up with my re-modeled GI & I traded it in on something else. Next came a RIA 38 Super, which I did the same work to as the GI, trigger, springs, hammer, beavertail & a mag well. I love that Super! Out of the box, the RIA is a good value in a 1911.

16. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

How did you wear out a SA Mil-Spec?

17. kansas45

kansas45 Member

I shot it...........A LOT! For years & years. A guy I know wanted it, so I sold it to him instead of rebuilding it. He did, & the thing is still running pretty good! :D