Kimber/Meprolight sights

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by deadsp0t, Apr 11, 2013.

1. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Scored big time, my step dad just had these laying around.. Apparently they were found in a storage unit or foreclosed home..

image-2239417033.jpg

image-162864825.jpg

Think the paper inside says 'slant' and 'gen 3'
    They look identical to what's in my Ultra CDP..
    Guess I have a back up set.. ;)

2. BUCSFAN99

BUCSFAN99 New Member

3. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I considered selling them, but I think I may be best served by just stashing them away being my CDP is my EDC..?

4. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Does anyone have any thoughts on their durability while on the gun or their shelf life in the box? How to store them properly?

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Tritium has approximately a 11 year lifespan. The sights are plent durable assuming you don't drop your gun sights first onto concrete.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

How old are they now?
    How many years before you expect to need them?
    Now factor in the 11ish year lifespan.

If you don't have a near term use for them, you are better served selling to someone who does.

7. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Cool, ya I don't see myself having a need for them in the short term . I have no idea how old they are.. Guess I'll post them up here for a bit before I eBay them.. Pm if interested

8. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I thought Tritium had a 11 year HALFLIFE meaning that in 11 years the sights would be half as bright. Right?

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

True enough.
    At full strength they don't exactly light up a room (IMHO anyway.) So if they are half as bright at the 11 to 12 year mark, does one still consider them serviceable as "Night Sights?"

10. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

IDK, but mine shine very bright sitting on my nightstand.

11. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Mine do too, and my gun is a series one CDP
    :confused:

12. BUCSFAN99

BUCSFAN99 New Member

I say sell them or work some sort of trade credit toward a set of Crimson Trace. Maybe the rosewood ones so your CDP will still resemble a stock CDP. I know a lot of folks that think that the CT grips are more of a novelty but I believe they are more of a deterrent. I know that if someone pulled a gun on me and I saw a red dot on my chest I'd be backing away pretty quick.

13. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

If someone pulled a gun on me I would be backing away very quickly too. I doubt I would have time to look down at my chest. In fact I wouldn;t even want to take my eyes off the guy.

But I agree whole heartily that if you don't need them then trading for a set of CT grips would be a good deal.

14. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Sounds like a good idea. I like the stock look and regardless of what some say..