Kimber magazines

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by lonyaeger, Sep 3, 2009.

1. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Since Kimber only provides one magazine with their handguns, I find myself in need of a few more for my Tactical Custom II and for my Grand Raptor II. Anyone know anything about Kimber's reputation for magazines? Should I buy from them or go with Wilson Combat....or even someone else?

2. Hot Sauce NARC

Hot Sauce NARC New Member

My experience wilson combat has been excellent so far, although they are a bit expensive.

3. hawkman1

hawkman1 New Member

I own the tactical pro 2 from Kimber and also have noticed the same problem. In talking with another 1911 shooter of Kimbers, he recommended the Wilson Combat magazines also. But, since they are close to $50 a mag, I did not purchase with the limited amount of green ($) that I have. I purchased the Kimber 8 round magazines that are stainless for smoother operations. I have put about 100 rounds through each of them and have noticed no major issues. They have fed the rounds nicely in my gun, a little tight when started brand new but that was to be expected. I am sure that another will answer with more experience with stock Kimber mags though to assist in your decision.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I tend to shy away from OEM mags as they're made by the lowest bidder and quality is a hit or miss proposition. For carry mags I use Wilson 47d's and have been very satisfied. For range mags I find Chip McCormick's very reliable and a good value.

In my experience the vast majority of 1911 feed issues are mag related so you should never scrimp in this area. I have collected about 2 dozen 1911 mags that I trust and these are the only ones I use. When I pick up a new or used 1911, I throw the factory mags in a parts box and use my trusted stash...

5. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

Go with the Wilsons,,,,you will not be disapointed.

6. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

One friend of mine got a Chip McCormic mag with his target model, while the other got a G.I. style with his custom.

I would say go with a stainless CMC or Wilson, can't go wrong with either, I've been pleased with both.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Thanks alot. I'm not going to pay for the Wilsons. I haven't had any problems with the mags that came with any of my three Kimbers, but I'll go with one of your recommendations.

8. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

+ 1 to Wilson mags, I use the #47D 8rd mags in my Kimbers, except in my carry piece. I use the shorter ones there ;)

Also have had good luck with Chip McCormick Power Mags

Slo