Kimber can lick my taint!!!!! They SUCK!!! Again, 1911's are GHEY

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by spittinfire, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

So I bought a slightly used Kimber pro carry 2....blue, 150ish rounds thru it. I get it home, clean it, oil it, take it over to my parents, show it to my dad. We handle it as any normal person would when showed a new handgun. 12-14 hours later I open the FACTORY SUPPLIED CASE and I find a pistol covered in surface rust.

I called Kimber today.....want to know what they told me??? I stored the pistol in THE FACTORY SUPPLIED CASE and that the foam in the FACTORY SUPPLIED CASE draws the oil away from the metal and this is what caused the rust. So Kimber ships their products in a KNOWN RUST INDUCING FOAM but they BLAME YOU for the rust. KIMBER SUCKS!!!!!! Rust isn't covered under their warrenty so I could pay them $140 to put the same worthless blueing back on my gun. Gee...Thanks...let me go pi$$ up a rope while I'm at it.

I will call them again tomorrow in hopes that I will get an idiot less stupid then the man I spoke to today. If not.....Kimber will lose another costomer.

1911s do not have my support currently...what do they give me over an XD??? Someone please tell me. Don't come at me with that stupid thumb safety thing, bring a reasonable argument.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'm real sorry to hear about all the troubles you Kimber owners have had lately. Don't let Kimber's poor finish sour you on the finest platform ever made for the .45 round. I've owned nearly every .45 semi-auto platform in the past few years from a Glock 21, XD .45, Beretta PX4, Baby Eagle, Sig 220, Sig 245, and many others. Not one of these compares to the inherent pointability, accuracy, and just general feel of a 1911. Of the others listed, the only one I kept was an XD .45 Compact (and I have a Sig 220 in .22).

My only Kimber is a 13 year old 1st generation and it does not suffer from the problems you folks have had. For a quality forged-frame 1911, I'd highly recommend either a Colt or a Springfield. The Springer Mil-Spec (not the GI) is a great reasonably priced 1911. I recently picked up an almost new one for $500 - and a box of ammo was included...

[​IMG]

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, let's see....

You are completely pissed, you have just had some really bad customer service, and NOW you want us to convince you that a weapon that has been in the hands of professional soldiers for over a hundred years is for you?!? :eek:

Spittin - I couldn't convince you to pick up a 1911 over a stick to fight Cerberus himself at this point.

After a few days, let's revisit this conversation....

Good luck, and don't be afraid to go up the chain of command.

Sorry about your luck brother. I am with NGIB, I have the early generation stuff and never had these problems....

JD

4. spittinfire

JD, I agree 100%....but the worst part is, I haven't even fired this pistol! I'm planning to call Kimber back tomorrow and see if I can get someone with half a brain on the phone. I'll go from there...I have tomorrow off work so we'll see....

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

It's possible they are too obsessed with their 'spread the market' philosophy.

A few years ago, to be a Kimber Master dealer, you had to buy a certain number of 1911's a year. That was it.

Then Kimber decided to be Remington and incorporate hunting rifles and other things they were not "known" for...

Now, it would appear, they just aren't concerned with their 1911 market - as evidenced by what I have been hearing from you guys.

I sent them an e-mail asking if they wanted to come here and talk shop - I haven't heard anything..

I am really sorry you got a bad model, and possibly a company that doesn't care about it's customers.

I just hope this doesn't sour you on the 1911 forever....

Good luck man, don't be afraid to get up early and start calling.

JD

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like Kimber folks that's doing the bluing is forgetting the salts neutralizing step in the hot blue process. That would explain the unusual tendency for surface rust to form like that.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You know, I just read through the manual that came with my Kimber that I bought in 2004.

I can't see ANYWHERE in there that it says that the case they sent it to me in is NOT for long term storage of the weapon.

Now, if yours is the same manual, I would ask the good folks from Yonkers why their policy about the "foam" is not listed in the manual they provided with safety and care instructions....

For what it's worth Spittin'

JD

8. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I hope your doing something to stop further rusting.

9. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

wow that really sucks.. I have checked both my kimbers for any signs of rust and there is none!! My ultra carry is stainless so I wouldn't really expect to see any on there, but my TLE II is black. I have had it out shooting in the rain and didn't have time to oil it until the next day and still didn't see anything..

It does sound like they have piss pore customer service though :eek:

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Sounds like a small investment in some Brownells Gunkote bake on finish may be a good idea. Easy to apply, and very durable. Or some Cera Cote.

1911 platform is GTG, but I'm not a Kimber fan either.

11. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

AHHHHH!!!! All these recent posts bashing Kimber are making me VERY hesitant to buy a Kimber Ultra CDP... Now what to I buy that's available that costs the same that's just as good, that's American, that's the same weight and size?

Why Kimber? Why:confused:

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'll be sure and get the stainless. :D

Have any pictures of the rusted kimber?

13. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Just dump the Kimber in any way possible, and go with a different 1911.

I suggest either Colt or Springfield Armory.

14. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm still getting a kimber....in stainless. Have any pics of the rusted Kimbers?

There are WAY too many satisfied kimber customers out there.............and you like hi-points. :rolleyes: :D

15. spittinfire

No, I didn't take any pictures of the rust. I just immediately cleaned and oiled it. Then put slide and barrel in their own zip lock bag, covered them in oil, zipped shut and have been there since. My wife leaves for work in a few minutes, the phone calls will start then.

16. Jess

Jess New Member

just remember 98% of the population is idiots, and SOMEONE has to answer the phone. GOOD LUCK I hate piss poor customer service

17. orangello

orangello New Member

Don't forget some of the advantages you'll be abandoning if you leave the 1911 models behind: ammo-saving magazine size, external hammer to play with, Cali-friendly, time-proven quality. ;)

Relax spit, this will pass. I wonder, how cool would a Ceracoated 1911 be, maybe really cool.

18. spittinfire

Alright, I called Kimber this morning and I got an inteligent person on the phone. Told him my problem, we discussed rust and the time involved for it to grow, flash rusting etc....i'm not a metalergist but have worked with enough metal(gears, motors, fab work ect) to know that flash rusting only occurs on completely naked, low nickel steel and he agreed.
    He took the serial number and told me this gun left their shop in 2005 which makes it 4 years old. I explained I gotten it used but was concerned about the rusting as I wanted to carry it. He said due to it being used and as old as it is there is nothing he can do and I agreed. I didn't realize the weapon was 4 years old because it has been used very little and neither of us know how the weapon was cared for over the last 4 years. He said I could try a polish like flitz to remove the rust and prevent further rusting or I could ship the slide only to them and they would refinish it for $57.50.
    I'm going to go shoot the weapon today and then I will decide what to do. Any of you guys have some suggestions for a possible refinish? Anything I could possibly do myself? I don't want to spend $300 to finish the slide.

19. Caliche

Caliche New Member

Check out Robar (Click Here for the Link) for your refinishing. They aren't 60 bucks like Kimber quoted you, but they aren't $300 either. Also, for just a little bit more than the cost of just the slide they will do your internals and barrel. I'm more than pleased with the work they did for me and they were more than professional. When I get a carry piece, it will go to them for a full work over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.