Kimber 4" vs 5"

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by rmruder, Jun 27, 2009.

1. rmruder

rmruder New Member

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to purchase my first 1911. I have been shooting M&Ps for a while but really want the trigger of a 1911! I am looking at the Eclipse Target II and am looking for opinions on the 4" barrel vs. the 5". Is there much difference in accuracy? I assume the longer sight picture would be an advantage but how much? My M&P .40 has a 4 1/4" and my .45 has a 4 1/2". Can't tell much of a difference.......

Rick

2. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable member will chime in here but From what Ive noticed between my 3" and 5" is muzzle flip. The 3" is much more drastic than the 5". Plus the 5" as you mentioned has a slightly larger sight radius. I would say it really depends on what yer getting it for, ccw, home defense, target shooting ect.. If you re really only getting it to have one and target shoot on occasion than I would prob go for the 5". If you're getting it for ccw then I would prob go for the 4" if not a 3" . But then again its always better to have that extra two inches if you run out of ammo and have to bludgeon someone with it :eek:

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I much prefer the shorter sight radius of the Compact. It allows for quicker target acquisition and easier pointability.

When I was shooting damn near every weekend, I was able to use my Compact to drop a magazine into a 8 or 10 inch steel at 50 yards in about 10 seconds. I'm not sure that the extra inch of barrel would have helped anything.

The bull barrel adds weight to the front end of the pistol, negating some of the muzzle flip associated with short barreled 1911s. Even in light of that, I added a set of Hogue Combats early on in my love affair. Recoil and muzzle flip isn't even an issue.

50 yard target:

[​IMG]

You can see the 3 distinct groupings from the 3 points in my breathing that I held my breath to take the shot.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  4. hawkman1

hawkman1 New Member

I would have to say that accuracy for handguns does not totally come from the length of the barrel, but more from the shooter and the quality of the gun. Every gun shoots differently and only practice and proper training would be able to improve accuracy.

The difference between the 4" and 5" would not be too different in accuracy. I would focus more on what the application for the gun will be. protection = 3", smaller for concealment. Target = 5", longer for "accuracy". If your going to use if for target and protection then go 4".

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Also note that the short barrel 1911s are usually more particular than full-size guns. They also tend to wear out springs much faster as well, the Kimber compact I had was rated for 500-700 rounds per spring change...

(Yup, it's been a long time since my last visit)

6. matt g

I'm on my original set of springs. They've got about 10k rds on them and the pistol still functions perfectly.

7. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

Now, I'm almost exclusively 4" or 4.25" barrels on my .45's. I notice NO loss of any accuracy of the weapon going from the 5" to the 4". Muzzle flip differences between the two is a non factor. I find the 5" to be much less comfortable in daily carry, so I got rid of them. I'm sure others will have differing opinions, but for me the 4-4.25 barrel range is wonderful all around.
    Good luck!
    Sarge

8. matt g

What's your take on the shortened sight radius? I find that it enhances pointability and quickens target acquisition.

9. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't notice much of a difference at all on anything but close double taps, and those are point shots anyway. As long as I see the 3 dots in a row over target, I know it's go time. Can't say as I'm any quicker or slower between 3" or 5" barrels.....:confused:
    Sarge

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Would there be much loss of velocity or energy when choosing a shorter barrel?

11. hawkman1

hawkman1 New Member

There will be some velocity difference between the 5" and the 4" but as I see it, a handgun is more of a short range weapon that is limited on its effective range. I don't know what that range is but, I don't see the velocity difference as being a major issue to be concerned with.

12. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

I don't have facts to spout here, but I don't think there would be a tremendous difference in a 4 or 5 inch barrel as far as ballistics go. I do know that they make .45 ammo specifically for a 3" barrel, so it must degrade some substantial amount below 4. I'm sure there are some reloaders around who can settle this with facts and quickly. :cool:
    Sarge

13. field

field New Member

the op said he wanted "the trigger" of a 1911, what exactly are 1911 triggers like?

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Like caressing the backside of the hottest woman on the planet. Butter. Clean. Crisp. No ridiculous take up. Trigger is linear and travels straight back, not a rocker motion like other triggers. The trigger breaks like a glass rod and there is almost zero overtravel. It's the greatest trigger design out there. :D

*yeah, I got a crappy signature line because I lost a sig bet to a sadist who likes Man Beards*

15. field

field New Member

wow yeah i just checked this kimber 1911 out at a gunshop the trigger pull is very short

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Can't describe it much better than that. The only bad thing about a 1911 trigger - is it makes all other triggers feel like crap by comparison.

The first time you shoot a 1911, you'll be amazed at how good a pistol shot you've become...

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I have an xd, not a 1911...the 1911 triggers are MUCH better. Even on the taurus pt1911ss my friend owns. :mad: