Kimber 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by 6shootersandw, Aug 20, 2012.

1. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

I was just at my local gun shop and I noticed they had a Kimber 1911 and it looked like such a nice gun. Any reviews would be helpful. Thanks

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Too vague. Kimber makes many different models in 3 different sizes. It helps to be more specific in terms of what model you were looking at.

Kimber makes a good gun, but depending on your intended use for the weapon, the gun you looked at may or may not be what you should be considering.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II. I had to have a gunsmith friend go through it and do a reliability tune on it before I could trust it to carry. Kimber makes a great pistol, but their QC can sometimes be spotty. If I had it to do over, I'd buy a Colt Lightweight Commander. I just can't afford one and I'm used to the Kimber now.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  4. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I carry the Kimber Super Ultra Carry + and LOVE it. Accurate as can be, very little recoil and holds 9 rounds of .45 ACP.

5. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

I got rid of everything I had to get into 2 Kimbers. A full size Custom II and a Crimson Ultra Carry.

Alot of talk about out of the box 500 round break in and what not. Both my kimbers were just amazing right out of box. I have about 200 rounds through the Custom II and about 50 through my Ultra carry. I carry both with full trust.

Kimber, you wont regret it.

6. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

Custom II Target was the one I saw

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

The Custom 2s are Kimber's base models in terms of pricing. They are good guns if you're looking to get the Kimber name for as little money as possible. The Target indicates that the gun will have an adjustable rear target sight. Good for accuracy shooting and range trips. Not the ideal gun if you are looking for something for home or self defense though.

8. rock185

rock185 Member

Hello 6shooter, I have owned four Stainless Target IIs and an Eclipse, all full sized stainless Kimbers. Mine were all very good quality production pistols and, IMHO, well worth the asking price...ymmv

9. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

My experience with Kimber has been great. I have heard nothing but praise about the quality of their guns. Praise about the accuracy, look, feel, shooting etc. However I've heard that if you do have to have anything done their customer service is poor. I haven't had a single issue with my Kimber so I am not speaking first hand but have heard this several times.

10. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

image-3794563780.jpg

My custom 2 is a reliable performer. I Carry it in cooler weather with out any doubts.

11. bleak23

bleak23 New Member

Hi, I have two Kimbers.

Custom CDP II
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/cdp-ii/custom-cdp-ii

Ultra TLE II
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/ultra-carry-ii/ultra-tle-ii

The Custom CDP II was accurate right out of box. It is like I can make a group about 1.5" almost every time I shoot. Once when I was shooting, the guy next to me was looking on. He said something like, "man that is scary." I was so damn proud.

The Ultra TLE II isn't quite as "scary," but it gets reasonable groups and looks really cool. It is a great size for my hand. Neither gun has ever FTF or FTE.

One of my goals this month is to take some good pictures and post them here. I just got Adobe Lightroom on my Mac, so it shouldn't be too hard.

12. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I have a Ultra CDP II and love it. The Kimbers are pretty, they shoot well, mine is a carry piece so it is showing some wear, also my first 1911.

The bad side of Kimber is the 1 year warranty, customer service was fine for me but others have had a hard time, 500 round break in is mandatory, QC like several others is hit and miss somewhat, stock Kimber mags suck for the most part.

Attached Files:

13. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I'll also chime in with two thumbs up for kimber. I own the grand raptor 2 and the custom agis 2 and have never had any issues with either. Both are extremely reliable and accurate. I've never had to deal with kimber's cs as mine have alway been flawless so I can't speak on that. Best of luck with whatever you decide on

14. billt

billt New Member

I've been running a box stock Kimber full sized Stainless II for a few years now. No problems at all. I would rank Kimber on the same level as most 1911 manufacturers out there.

15. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

I would trade both my Custom II and my Crimson Ultra Carry for a Grand Raptor! When I bought my Kimber Ultra I was looking for a Ultra Raptor. And when I was approached to trade my SIG for a Kimber trade, I wanted the Grand Raptor but settled on the Custom II.

Dude, post pics of that Raptor!!

16. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

The Ultra Raptor is one beautiful firearm! Hope you get to own one one day.

This is my Grand Raptor. I switched out the stock plastic mainspring housing for the Ed Brown. Sorry for the picture quality.

image-2345392640.jpg

image-2826733708.jpg

This is my custom Agis. Again I switched out the mainspring housing for the ED Brown, changed out the solid trigger for a two hole and changed the grips for a pair of Esmeralda custom grips. Again, sorry for the pic quality. These pictures absolutely do not do the grips justice!

image-1760200160.jpg

image-3794249076.jpg

image-743281131.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  17. elmerfudge

elmerfudge New Member

Just put rounds 275 - 420 thru my two week old Super Ultra Carry. The 230gr. Blazer Brass FMJ still have about 5% fail to feed. White box Winchester had one F-T-F out of 50 today. I shot 20 Hornaday 200 gr. XTP with zero problems. Gaining confidence in the piece. Another 100-150 rds. and it'll probably be my everyday carry loaded with the Hornadays.

This baby is sweet but it's true about 500 or so rds. to break it in. Not an out-of-the-box carry piece.

Good thing I work at a firing range for the ammo discounts. :eek:

18. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

I have never had any problems with mine that relate to Kimber's quality.

never had a fail to feed either, but I also had the feed ramp polished first thing.

the only issues I've had with mine stem from a custom trigger job where the guy went a little bit TOO far with it, and my hammer fell to half cock while half way through a magazine. But, again, that's from the custom trigger work, which he re-did for free and fixed it.

I love mine. I have about $2000 invested into it right now, with custom trigger, hammer, trigger job, ambidextrious safety, extended/beveled mag well, checkered the front strap, and I'm sure there's some other detail work that I'm forgetting.

had it for about 8 years and still happy with it. I'd never carry THIS one because of the work I've done to it for IPSC/IDPA type shooting, but a box stock one that's not modified, I would have no problem carrying.

[​IMG]

19. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

That's a nice looking kimber you have there

20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I also carry a Kimber Pro II. Mines been trustworth since it was new but I bought it 9 years ago and I agree with CA357 that QA has slipped in recent years.

Given the resurgence of Colt and the better warranty for nearly the same money, were I looking for a 1911 today, I would go Colt.

Just my .02 Cents.

Tack