Killing coyotes with a pellet gun?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by HotFudge, Oct 9, 2011.

1. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

I got a .17 caliber Gamo pellet gun that I use for varmits in the woods around the mountain I live on, the biggest thing I ever killed with it was a skunk that was unlucky enough to eat out of my garbage. But anyway, there are more and more coyotes that are being seen around here, and I was wondering if I could bring one down with my pellet gun if the situation ever arises.

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

It would take a very close very accurate/lucky shot w a pellet rifle. You wld b better off to get you a 17hmr or 22 mag for that if they are with in 125 yards or so. That and ammo for them is fairly cheap. My question for you is whether or not you shoot anything else besides a pellet rifle

3. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

You wouldn't catch me trying to kill a coyote with a pellet gun. Sounds like a pretty bad idea all together. Do you have any other firearms available?

4. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

The pellet gun is the only thing I got. I've had close family in this state for about 9 generations, they've fought in the Civil War, Spanish-American War, The Battle of Blair Mountain, WWI, WWII, and Central America, but somewhere along the way, my family has gotten a little wary of firearms.

But anyway, I'm buying a .22 and a 12 gauge once I get a good bit of money to throw away. I was just wondering if I could cap one in the mean time if I ever see one scrounging around my backyard or anything.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A Gamo .177 would not be a great choice. A .25 Marauder would do quite well up to 50 yards.

6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Even with a headshot the animal would probably still take off and live,go buy a New England Arms single shot 12 gauge for $150 and wait till they get within 20 yards.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

A pellet gun would be perfectly fine....

To pop them in the butt and make them scoot on out of your front yard. But no more than that.

.17HMR and .22 mag would be the smallest thing I would shoot them with. I would prefer .223 or .308 though. Or anything in between. And of course there's no such thing as overkill, unless your harvesting meat and hide.

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

There's NO WAY I'd try to kill a coyote with a .177 pellet rifle!!!!!! If you try it all you're going to do is educate it and possibly cripple it. Save your money and get them with a "real" firearm.

9. Markd51

Markd51 New Member

I agree, it would be very inhumane with a pellet gun. Some coyotes are quite large, and they are a tough animal.

Like all God's creatures, they serve a purpose, but I can understand if they are becoming a nuisance around your property.

A nice slingshot might be a good way to send them packing.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I didnt say the 17 or 22 mag wld be perfect, just that they would work alot better. Plus they are fairly cheap to shoot and depending on ammo good for small game hunting. I agree a 223 or bigger is the best option given the info he has given us. If you want a good cheap gun you mite look into a rossi handi rifle combo. It comes with 22, 410, and 223 barrels I think. Im not sure on the 223 though, it mite be a 243, if it is thats even better for yotes plus its a pretty decent cartridge for deer also

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the .17 or .22 mag. I just wouldn't use something like a 22 short or a 6mm (the one almost equivalent to .22 short)

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya I wouldnt either but then again varmint hunting is something I have done alot of and ya iv made some bad choices when it came to what to use and how far to use it. Luckily the vast majority of them mistakes iv been able to salvage.

13. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Are you kidding me? 6mm is extremely adequate for coyote.

A pellet gun is inhumane, and likely unlawful.

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

He is not talking bout the 6mm that is equivalent to a 243 but a wildcat round that they call a 6mm SS I think it is.

15. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Gut Shot........

Are you kidding, I've tried a .177 pellet on tree rats and some were head shots at 25 feet and it didn't phase the little basterds......:eek:

16. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

I mean, I never planned on actively going after one, or even shooting at one if I see it passing through. But if there ever was one staying around the neighborhood, digging in garbage and terrorizing pets and small kids, I was wondering if I could possibly shoot one without pissing it off or wounding it and kill it in 2 months after infection.

If I ever actively go after 'em I'd probably get a Mini-14 chambered for 6.8 or .223

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  17. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

Mine's brought 'em down pretty regularly with body shots out to just under 30 yards. Even killed one that was in a drey accidentally.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah I'm talking the german rifle my great uncle brought home. The only thing he could find to shoot through it were .22 short subsonic.

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Depends on the rifle and pellets usually. Back when I had my 17 hmr I bought 3 full cases of ammo at the bass pro outlet store that were loaded w lead air rifle pellets. They made killing tree rats very easy w/o the big hole associated w a 17hmr. Sadly I cant find them anymore and I sold the gun to my uncle cuz my 22 mag is cheaper and hits harder

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If you or him still have the gun you can get 6 mm ss or 6 mm short whelan occassionally at bass pro. Its a rare round though. The gun would be worth quite a bit 2. Just curious but do you know the brand/model of the gun?