Killing a tree

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Zombiegirl, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

We had a tree cut down about 3 years agobut they left the stump. Little mini trees keep growing out of the sides and I am constantly trimming it. We also need the trunk dead because roots were starting to grow into our sewer line. Any easy suggestions to kill this stump?? I don't want to pay to have the stump taken out because there is landscaping and hostas around the tree. Thanks in advance for some tips!!

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Wrap a chain around it and yank it out.

I know, I know go ahead.

4. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I wasn't going to say a word.....

5. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I will look into this. I just want to be sure to not hurt the hostas I have planted around it. My cousin is going to make me a copper stake at work to hammer into the stump to see if that will work too.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

ZombieGirl, the key issue here are the hostas planted around the stump. anything that will kill the stump could possibly kill the hostas too. just wanted you to know that. but something you might try is regular plain ole table salt poured onto the stop of the stump. i have used this before and it works. but i never had to worry about other plants around the stump, so your situation is different than mine.

7. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I recommend to kill the hostas too!!! HAHA.

8. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

[​IMG]

I'm 100% serious about that. Around here, we will take a barrel, cut it in half so that we have a steel tube to contain the fire, then we will set the stump on fire and burn it out for good. Depending on where you live, you may not be able to do that (it also depends on how dry the surrounding ground is. You don't want a wildfire), but it works for us.

Depending on how close the hostas are to it, you may have to transplant them, or just plant new ones. (BTW I'm not good at keeping plants alive, but I can sure kill the hell out of them. :D You may want to get a second opinion about the hostas. ;))

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  9. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Did you drill holes in the stump and then pour the salt in? I've heard you can do that with fertilizer.

10. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I work hard on the yard. The hostas stay!!

11. Axxe55

yes i did. i forgot about that part, sorry. i just used a cordless drill and wood bit. then poured the salt into the top of it.

12. winds-of-change

Dig up the hostas and replant them. They are pretty darned rugged. And in a year or two they will fill out again. Are you going to have the hostas around an empty space if you kill the stump?

13. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

It's worth a try. Fire is not an option in our area.

14. Axxe55

ZombieGirl, Winds has a pretty good option there. dig them up, replant them elsewhere temporarily, remove the stump, then if you want them back in the same place replant them again.

15. winds-of-change

If the stump is very large, this wouldn't work. I have trees in my yard over 40 years old. If I were to take them down the stump would rip my vehicle in half before it came out of the ground.

16. winds-of-change

Get the largest caliber firearm you own and shoot the heck out of that stump.

17. Axxe55

but Winds, you have a small car! you need a big one ton dually with big tires!:eek::D just kidding you!

18. Axxe55

Winds, i have actually done that! it does work. slowly though!:D

19. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

OMG........you killed a tree!!!!! :D