Kids Perspectives Trump Ours

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vikingdad, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Awhile ago there was a thread about a recent Cheerios commercial where a biracial family was depicted. I can't find the thread right now but I ran across this video of a bunch of kids who are shown the commercial and then asked questions about it. Their responses inspire me. If only we could all see race through the eyes of these kids.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VifdBFp5pnw[/ame]

2. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

It takes BOTH side to grow up and grow healthy attitudes. With entitlement slants that currently exist today, it may take another generation to sort this out.

We're not there yet... :(

3. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I would be interested in hearing a LEO's impressions of that video. It's my opinion that four of those kids are either outright lying, or they have enough doubt about the situation to know their honest opinion may not be welcome.

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Any of the resident LEO's care to comment?

I think that perhaps you are overanalyzing kids. The sort of kid that you describe is a very rare individual, one who would manipulate their answers in that way. I certainly cannot believe that such a large percentage of such a small group would fit into that category you describe. Yes, kids certainly do get uncomfortable with hearing uncomfortable questions and that shows in their mannerisms. I see that in some of these kids.

I am quite aware that they probably cherry-picked those kids after a long and grueling interview process, or perhaps they took video of thousands of kids and weeded out the bigoted ones and this handful was all that made the cut. In any case I found the responses of those few children to be inspiring.

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yes, this is true in large part, but it is also this attitude that perpetuates the problem as much as the entitlements. Larry Elder does a good job of explaining "the real problem" here in his interview with Piers Morgan. Pay attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywauUc-ZhbA

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I notice with my daughter, that she asks questions that challenge discrimination based on skin color. She will ask, "Why wouldn't someone play with that kid just because their skin is a diferent color? It's like saying I won't play with a kid with blue eyes, because mine are green, or I can't play with the redhaired girls, because my hair is blonde." Or "Daddy, why won't some parents let their kids play with the darker kids down the street, they're really nice?" Or she has said " Daddy I notice you have friends in the navy that are lot's of colors, why do some people not like that idea?"

Her observations and questioning attitude, have given me a lot of opportunities to talk about judging people based on behavior or actions, and how they treat you as the best way to figure out who your real friends are. I have told her if I judged people only on their skin color I would have missed out on some really great friends.

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That is a clear sign of good parenting and no small measure of intelligence on your daughter's part.

8. SSGN_Doc

For a 10 year old she amazes me sometimes with how wise some of her questions can be.

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You are sure she isn't just pulling one over on you? :p

I'm telling you, nearly all kids have not developed the ability to deceive as was earlier suggested. I think that Doc3402 may have a jaundiced view of children or something.

10. SSGN_Doc

They may not ahve a highly developed ability to pull of smooth deception, but lying is definitely a possibility.

"Who spilled milk on the carpet?"

"I don't know. Maybe the dog."

While the adult knows it's not likely the dog got the milk out of the frideg, poured a glass and took it into the living room and spilled it.

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Oh I agree there. I wasn't trying to imply that kids don't lie. But it seems to me that their tendency would be to lie in order to avoid punishment, not to lie because they were asked questions about race. If they don't have any skin in the game they will be truthful in their answers.

12. tri70

tri70 New Member

The gov is part of the problem in schools, special test in a different room. No consequences for failing or bad behavior. It's not always the parents, sometimes just the school of hard knocks.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

It is far more complicated than that. But that is one small element in it.

14. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Generations of hate is not so easy to overcome.

I think compassion is the key to this.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

All it takes is one child deciding at some point that hatred just is not worth the effort. It can be overcome just that easily. It takes a strong person of immense character though.

I can say with some authority though that racial hatred is borne in ignorance and grows from there. When a racist has the opportunity to interact with the people whom he hates they will disregard the ones who do not perpetuate their own myths about that particular race and hold up the ones who do while shouting from the rooftops "SEE? SEE? These people are ALL worthy of my hatred!!!

But they fail to see that they are feeding their own hatred. People can sense when another person approaches them with preconceived notions. I know I can. When most people sense this they tend to fall back into that stereotype that makes them into the person (like Rachael Shantel) people tend to hold up as an example of a "typical" (insert racist term here.

In the case of the Cheerios commercial there is none of that present. 100% of the racial undertones that people have been screaming about are internal within that person. If you listen to an audio recording of the commercial all racial undertones disappear.

To go one step further, if you see a racist agenda at work here, then you are a racist. It is that simple.

16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

It's not about what you look like, it's how you act.