Kid builds portable coil gun

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by zhuk, Oct 21, 2009.

1. zhuk

zhuk New Member

In case no one has seen this...pretty nifty bit of engineering by a woodwork student. The vid footage is fairly impressive for what it is :D

Where Bolt-Action, Electromagnetic Coil Guns Are Made

By Adrian Covert on June 18, 2009 at 2:00 PM

[​IMG]

I don’t know what kind of school this kid goes to, but I doubt my shop teacher would have allowed me to build an electromagnetic coil gun that can send a round through a soda can.

Aside from the electromagnetics (in a linear electric motor config) and bolt-action which supports a six-round magazine clip, this gun makes use of a multimeter, a few custom switches to turn the weapon on and off, some PVC piping, a scope, and presumably, a battery pack. My favourite part are the fold-down wood legs for those moments when hitting a can with extreme accuracy is imperative.

The actual power of this sniper rifle-inspired gun isn’t overwhelming, as it seems on par with (or maybe a bit more powerful than, a bb gun). But the use of electronics and the clever use of wood through out the design give it a DIY allure that I just can’t resist. But check out TechEBlog’s vid for your self. It’s pretty cool.

TechEBlog Student Builds Bolt-Action, Portable Coil Gun in Woodshop

Of course in Australia, he'd probably be arrested lol

2. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

It seems that only a small portion is made of wood. Now, if the whole rifle excluding meter and switchs was made of wood, then I would be impressed.

3. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Well I am insanely easily impressed :eek:

4. bkt

bkt New Member

I'm guessing this didn't happen in either New York or California, where adults have learned to wet themselves whenever the word "gun" is used.

Really neat! I love this kind of stuff -- ingenuity and hands-on skill seem to be waning, and it's great to see it's not dead.

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Good stuff!! A kid had an idea and was allowed to act on it. What's wrong with that? I'm sure he learned TONS of great stuff while working on it and none of which he will soon forget.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

In most states in the US he would be expelled for even possessing the plans for such a project.

7. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Where the hell is flux capacitor? :confused:

Jack

8. dirtysouth

dirtysouth New Member

That was great. Only thing close to a gun we as allowed to build in wood shop was a crossbow. Im glad kids still have some imagination