Kicks like a mule !

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, Aug 14, 2020.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

After regretfully selling my Marlin 1895 45/70 a while go and replacing it with a CVA single shot , the recoil is like getting hit by a truck ! Shooting 300 gr. 1800 FPS ammo then moving up to Hornady .325 gr. 2050 FPS is quite a substantial difference in recoil !

I used to be able to shoot an entire box ,(20 rounds) with no tolerance testing abilities required . Now I'm good for about 6 shots and that is the threshold of fun vs tolerance !

Though the rifle ain't bad on accuracy it is a challenge on just how much fun shooting it is . I do plan on hunting this year so zeroing the new scope was a bit painful . Thank goodness I'd bought that laser bore sight or I still would not be on paper yet ! I guess this turned out to be a plug for laser bore sights ? When a box of 20 rounds goes for $40 - $50+ , it really saved me quite a bucks .

If I didn't already have so many 45/70 rounds in my locker , would have gone some caliber that didn't punch back so hard . This may be the last year I can get out so wish me luck .........!

2. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

I've got a Hi-Wall in 45/70 that leaves me with bruises every time I take it out but I can't help myself; I love shooting that gun.

3. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There's a thin line between pain & fun.

4. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Never have liked the .45-70, for recoil reasons. (Bit of a recoil wimp, here.) Even worse, the .45-110 and similar. Began to appreciate the reason for 30"+ heavy barrels.

I wish you well, in deer season. Get a few good ones.

dango and schnuffleupagus like this.
  5. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple ideas:

Buy some reduced recoil loads, Steinel and Buffalo Bore make them.

Find someone to make you some handloads at a lower velocity.

Get a shooter's vest with a recoil pad sewn in.

Get a slip on recoil pad.

dango likes this.
  6. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a time back in the 80's.
    We had to qualify every month with our M16s.
    There was a lane that had a fire ant nest nearby.
    One of my platoon mates qualified, but while shooting prone he suffered more than 500 fire ant bites.
    He went to sick call the next day. The battalion Sargeant Major was our platoon sergeant. He said that the ranger had to go to sick call becaus he had crossed the line between hard @$$ and dumbass.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    7point62, dango and primer1 like this.
  7. RaySendero

RaySendero Well-Known Member

There's no reason to take that punching recoil.
    Look for a PAST recoil shield and/or an EvoShield tee shirt,
    I have both and recommend either.

The PAST shields work great.
    I have the just field model, because its thinner and fits better.
    Many times I've sighted in a 458WM with it from the bench.
    Same with the EvoShield.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

When sighting in with a heavy recoil firearm I always pad my shoulder. A folded towel works pretty well and so does a couple layers of dense 1/2" foam.
    Rogue, does your hiwall have the thin curved butt plate?

dango likes this.
  9. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Buffalo Bore makes reduced-recoil stuff? Say it ain't so! :p

dango likes this.
  10. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

My 1873 Trapdoor has no recoil problems. Then again, I don't use modern loads. 11 inch midrange trajectory makes hitting anything something between luck and Hail Mary.

dango likes this.
  11. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

I fully agree! I use a PAST shield to work through range time with heavy recoil...saves a lot of wear and tear on my skinny frame!

Good luck dango!

12. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

image.jpeg The rifle comes with what they call a "CRUSH ZONE " butt pad . It really does help but still , the gun probably weighs in at maybe six pounds so it does move me !

JTJ likes this.
  13. Chuck Roberts

Chuck Roberts Active Member

I have a 45-70 1895, but for all intents and purposes I find the 44 Magnum in my 1894 carbine lighter to tote, and just as effective on game weighing 300 lbs or so with a lot less punishment and much more economical to shoot. Of course I handload so there is that also.

schnuffleupagus and dango like this.
  14. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Can you get a slip on recoil pad?

dango likes this.
  15. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

My son when he was 13 could fire my .270 CMC Mountaineer but after 2-3 shots the recoil got a bit much for him so we put a slip on kick pad and problem solved.

dango likes this.
  16. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't put up with that heavy recoil. Have someone sew some spongy pads into the shoulder of your shooting shirt.

Works for me, even with recoil from a .458 Winchester magnum.

Oldoutlaw and dango like this.
  17. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

I sold two M1A's as they were making me black and blue due to blood thinners and the heart doctor was worried I'd get a clot.
    sux to get old is all I can say.
    I can still tolerate my FAL (same caliber for those of you who don't know 7.62 x 51 NATO)

dango likes this.
  18. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Yes it does; I've thought about reshaping it to better fit my shoulder but haven't found someone I trust to do it.

19. JTJ

I knew a guy that had a 45-70 like yours. He was hunting and no luck so he called it a day. His wife was driving the truck when she hit the brakes and yelled there is a deer. He jumped out of the truck and ran off the road to get a shot. He did not quite get the butt up to his shoulder and it broke his arm when he fired.

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  20. JTJ

That is why I dont have a single shot 12 gauge. I dont need that kind of punishment.

RJF22553 and Oldoutlaw like this.