KeyMod system...

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by icallshotgun88, Jun 16, 2014.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

I figured we could start a thread on the new key mod system..

this can be an ongoing thread to not only discuss advantages/disadvantages but to introduce new accessories that come out for this new system...

2. icallshotgun88

but to be honest....i don't know much about it

so please chime in on what you know about it...

what the heck is the big deal?

from what I've read, the real benefit is that its lightweight...how much lighter?

I've heard its not as strong as a traditional tri rail...

is that really what the big hype is about?
    is that its lightweight and that its easy to mount stuff to?
    because from what I'm reading most people are just attaching small picatinny rails to it and manufacturers are slowly making accessories that mount directly to the KeyMod system..

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Lightweight and slim. Shaving unneccesary weight is a good thing.

There is also magpul mlok system which is pretty much a hybrid of picatinny and keymod. You dont lose as much weight and its not as slim as keymod. Magpul says an advantage to mlok is you reverse the rail sections. Not sure exactly why you would pop an optic light laser bypod off then turn turn it around backwards. So reversable is kind of a dubious "advantage"

Keymod you dont really need to add grip panels since the keymod surfaces have shallow indentions for a positive grip. Mlok you will need panels adding more weight and size to get a positive grip.

Picatinny has the cheeser grater effect.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  4. icallshotgun88

i would just hate for it to end up being a fad that dies after a few years…
    every rifle i build/buy i plan on owning for a longggggg time.
    id hate to look back 10 years from now and regret buying into a fad. and possibly not being able to find accessories for it ya know?
    like, if they eventually stop making the picatinny rail attachments (and other accessories) for it, then it'll be darn near useless…

but it seems that all the big names are starting to adopt it, so who knows? maybe it'll be the next big thing…
    hmmmmmm.

i might just stick the a standard quad rail. the weight of it doesn't bother me much

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

im going to be doing a keymod vs picatinny rail writeup soon. ive got the midwest industries rail extension in picatinny and will be getting the exact same thing in keymod very soon.

picatinny i think is whats going to become harder to find in a rail design as time creeps on. both keymod and mlok are open source so i dont think they are going anywhere.

anyway if your interested wait for my write up in a few weeks. ill have lots of good info on the keymod system.

6. icallshotgun88

Awesome.
    I'm really looking forward to that write up.
    Will it just be a new thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Yes im going to submit it to thd boss as an article

8. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

Sounds great .....