kentucky long rifle

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by texaswoodworker, Jun 12, 2011.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a good kentucky long rifle or a simular gun for under $500? I am wanting to try blackpowder competition shooting and thought that this would be a good gun to start with. I saw some for sale at cabelas (think they were either traditions or pendersoli) and was also wondering if they are good?

Thanks for the help.

2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

They're pretty good entry level guns. Unless you're just set on the Kentucky style I'd go with a Lyman Great Plains in either flint or percussion. Flinters won't work with subs unless you use a small charge of black under it.

3. texaswoodworker

I'm not completely set on the kentucky long rifle, I like it's style and its the best old fasion muzzleloader I could think of. I'd like to learn some more about the lyman. Any advise on where to get one and wether flintlock or precussion is better for competition?

Thanks

4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

5. texaswoodworker

Thanks for the advise. It's pretty close to my price range so I'll probably get it. I plan on using it to hunt some too so which caliber would you reccomend? 50 or 54?

6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I much prefer the 54.

7. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

You might even consider the Kentucky rifle in kit form also from Cabella's... $299 for the kit.. You can finish it however you like and the pride of knowing you built it yourself... Just a thought.

8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It's probably a good shooter, also for round balls. I can't get over that hinky brass spacer in the two piece stock.:eek:

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, everybody went ga-ga over the bolt action-in line- shotshell primed muzzleloaders for hunting, and the traditional side lock percussion cap muzzleloaders were suddently last year's thang. I picked up a VERY nice Thompson Center Renegade in 50 cal, very nice wood, excellent metal- for under $200. Will shoot round ball but really likes maxis, and is more accurate than I am.

10. texaswoodworker

I looked and it I have to agree with hawg about that 2 piece stock. Other than that I like it but I think I'll go with the Lyman for now. It would be a neet project for the futer though.

11. texaswoodworker

I also looked at this and I liked it. I had to compare it several times to the Lyman befor I finally made a dicision. I decided that I like the Lyman a little better but it was really close.

Thanks for the advise everyone, I found some lymans on gunbroker for around $300 so I'll check those out.

thanks again.