Keltec

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by snakeoil, Aug 15, 2014.

1. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

Anyone besides me like Keltec fire arms?:confused:

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I am impressed with the PMR30. I also like KelTec for its distinctive styles and design creativity.

3. 1turkeyhunter

1turkeyhunter New Member

Havent seen or heard much good from Keltec, maybe this thread could help sway a bit.
    Although, I would really love to purchase the ksg shotgun. Looks to be quite nice. Maybe get some feedback on here also before up and spending the money......

4. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

...on most forums, all you hear is Kahr , Sig, etc....

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Internet fads come and go. A few years back SIG bashing was unbelievable. It is a form of group behavior - anyone can join the pileup and feel "connected". Then all of a sudden it was gone.

You can make a name for yourself by standing up for the the long oppressed KelTec. The time for justice is now :D

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I've had a couple. I had no real problems with either. Their innovation is very good, but their execution is somewhat rough when compared to other guns. My sub2000 worked fine, but the fit of the polymer receiver at the grip had rough edges. Gaps and flex, which would cause pinches and blisters. The gun worked fine and the concept was great. It would have been even better if they improved the design to fit together better. P3AT was similar, a good design that seemed like corners were cut in execution. Ruger came along and basically made the same gun the way it should have been from the beginning.

Maybe Ruger could make a folding , polymer 9mm carbine that takes Glock mags.

7. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

My sub 2000 works fine....it ejects spent ammo...all my Keltec hand guns including my PLR 16 do the same..Great weapons that work for me.

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I would love a 2000 with beretta mags since I don't own any Glocks....would also love the PMR& RMR 30's...
    I have this P3AT spitting here,..I'm almost out of the 380 I got with it,..have to decide if it's a trade or a keeper...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

9. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

It happens all the time in the restaurant business. A chef makes a name for himself and establish himself as one if the best in business. He will get great reviews and everything is wonderful. Then all of a sudden people start bashing him and start giving him bad reviews when absolutely nothing has changed for the worse. Hell sometimes it changes for the better. It will happen to every good chef out there. It's a phenomenon nobody understands.
    Maybe that chef has elevated their clients expectations and they keep wanting more.

10. rerun33

rerun33 New Member

I have a plr 16 and I love it. I enjoy shooting it more than my AR. The only problems I have with it is: A. It says 5.56 on it but it hates it. It will do every thing it can to piss you off when loaded with 5.56. Failure to eject, jam, you name it. I can dump mag after mag of .223 no problems.
    B. It only seems to like me. Sounds crazy I know but every time I let someone new try it it throws a temper tantrum. It won't fire, it jams, it double feeds. I load it, cock it, throw it on safety, had it to the new person and the tantrum begins.
    I still love it tho. Can't talk about my baby without a pic.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1409624174.933831.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

11. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

What is the difference in 223 and 5.56? Shell casing?...My PLR shoots Lake City Military without any problems...30 rnds at a time....

12. rerun33

rerun33 New Member

I have no idea. All I know is 5.56 is a no-go in mine. It don't matter what brand .223 I use. Brass or steel case it eats it all up. I have dumped several pmags in a row and my beta once or twice and never one issue.

13. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

I think the 5.56 is military...if that's so, I don't have your problem...all I buy is Lake City ammo...stripper clips..I do put one tracer in near the bottom of the mag...:confused:

14. rerun33

rerun33 New Member

I'm fine with it really. I don't shoot In any matches or anything. I just go out to have fun and relieve stress. As long as it keeps going bang I'm happy :).

15. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Along the same lines as Hi-Point, just not as good customer service. Sometimes you get a good one..both have their fans,,Both are alot of gun for the money..

16. DrFootball

As I said further up this thread, it's not "if I do or don't "Like them" because to develop a dislike of a certain gun would mean you have experience shooting it. Kel Tec's are hard to find here for some reason. My friend "Gave" me one in exchange for a small Amt. Of cash and some 45ACP Ammo. I've had it apart and back together several times now. I have about 300 rounds through it now, and the last 80 with no trouble. It beats the stuffing out of your hand, but it shoots. For now it sits idle, as I'm out of 380. The only other person I know here who has one is my friend who is a real estate broker, but was NYPD for 10 years before moving here 20 yrs ago. He has a PF9, and for him, he raves about it. If I could a Find a KSG or a SUB2K in 9MM/Beretta mags.,, I be more of a Kel Tec fan,...Also can't find PMR 30's here for less then $800, that's down from a Grand 2 yrs. ago...Same thing with the RMR,...maybe they made 10 of them or something,..

Edit: at this point I many wind up with the Hi-Point 9MM Carbine....

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I own a couple Kel Tec firearms. I can't say I like them. Both guns required a lot of work after delivery to make them function properly. I got the P11 for a song because the previous owner couldn't make it function properly.

If you are a tinkerer you can live with a kel tec. If you cannot put new brake pads on a car you probably cannot keep a kel tec running.

18. DrFootball

How about taking apart electronics?? Does that Qualify?(lol..)

19. rachilders

rachilders New Member

Yep, have a couple of K-T's. Got a PF-9 and a PLR-16. I HAD a P3AT but it's been hijacked by my wife as her "truck" pistol. The PLR is also my Avatar here.

FYI, I turned my PLR into a project gun a few years back and it's now a SBR (yes, I have the Class III stamp). As you may see, it's had a few modifications since I bought it about 6 years ago. It has several versions, with a folding as well as collapsible, AR style buttstocks plus accessories depending on what I want to do. Get's quite a few looks and questions at the local gun range when I bring it out, especially from the local LEO's who frequent the range. I've NEVER had a problem with the gun or gotten any grief from the police about having it. Actually, the local lawmen are the one's who seem most interested in what it is and how to get one for themselves! :cool:

Attached Files:

20. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

Great reply! Thanks RaChilders...I too, have many Keltecs...mainly because they are made in Fl.....and relatively inexpensive.....