KelTec KSG

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by shooter58, May 19, 2014.

1. shooter58

shooter58 New Member

Just picked up a KSG. Put about 100 rounds through it so far without issue. Any thoughts on the KSG?

2. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I would love to own one. One day I hope to

3. shooter58

shooter58 New Member

Not an easy thing to actually see one in person much less find one un-fired for sale. The thing is a cool as I thought it would be.

4. armoredman

armoredman Member

Saw one for the first time yesterday. Didn't have a chance to touch.shoot it, was at the range.

5. shooter58

shooter58 New Member

Which range were you at?

6. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I would buy one to scare liberal. Thats about all the usefulness I see in them. To each their own though. Glad you enjoy it.

7. shooter58

shooter58 New Member

I have owned a few shotguns fit for combat and this trumps them all. Flawless function, 18" barrel and 14+1 cap.
    You are so right. To each his own. After having the KSG the bar has been raised on the level of performance I will accept.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Our general store has had a few come in and sell over the year. If your in western NC contact Prices Creek General Store in Burnsville and ask if the they have one in stock.

9. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Um yes can we have a picture of your wrist. First 10 ejections completely broke the skin on Mac's wrist. He gave it a bad review. Now the UTS 15 is a terrible gun (I have done my research and have personal experience with it). Mixed reviews with the KSG, but I am going to hold off until they fix all the flaws. Bud all I can say is if you are using that firearm for defense, you better run damn plenty of rounds through there, as with any SD firearm, to see if it's 100% functioning.

10. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Both the KSG and the UTS 15 caught my interest but I have yet to see either in person. What didn't you like about the UTS 15? Just curious.

11. armoredman

armoredman Member

shooter58, was at Rio Salado, north of Phoenix, between 8-10 yesterday morning.

12. shooter58

shooter58 New Member

I have over 100 rounds through it. Not one hit my wrist. I'm saying its a training issue if anyone is getting wrist impact from ejected shells. Not a single malfunction so far. On close inspection of the action, I can see that if the slide is not stroked with authority, there could be a problem. The last 1/4" of slide travel is nessesary for full function. A front vertical Magpul grip seems to make it easier to get a full stroke on the slide. Like I said. Not a single issue. It has now taken the home defend role for me. Even my wife has had no issues as I gave her a quick 5 min orientation to the function requirements before her first shoot.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  13. shooter58

shooter58 New Member

I like the KSG better for a couple of reasons. It's physically smaller and shorter. It's also much easier to top up the mags on the fly (much like a conventional pump) as compared to the unusual method of loading the UTS and I just liked the looks of the KSG better. Totally personal preference. Both are pretty cool rides.

14. shooter58

shooter58 New Member

It's a gun that needs to be run correctly with just a bit of training. I don't think mine is any better than the ones others have tested. Just need to be aware of how it functions. Full strokes all the way back will produce flawless function. Point the elbow of the trigger hand out a bit and don't tuck it in and you will see that the shells will not hit your wrist.

15. shooter58

shooter58 New Member

As someone pointed out, if you buy one and are not comfortable or able to run it properly then I also would caution against using it as primary defense. But once mastered, you too will be hooked on it.

16. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Looks cool, also looks too heavy. Saw vids of both Guns. I think I'll stick with a semi-auto, and wait for a drum to come out on the mag fed. Ones...held the KSG at SHOT, was more interested in hounding them for a a Sub-2000 and a PMR-30..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

17. shooter58

shooter58 New Member

The gun itself is not heavy compared to your typical 12ga. What gets heavy is all that ammo.

18. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

The UTS 15 shouldn't even be called a gun... It is a piece of plastic rubbish, and the 1% of metal that's in the gun is cheap steel and rusts. The dual magazine tubes have a 1/4" gap, allowing drit and moisture to get in there. Not to mention that FPSRUSSIA (just using him as an example that's not the only youtuber that has had problems [nutnfancy]) went through three of them within one hour. The UTS 15 is garbage.

19. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

What kind of ammo are you running through them? The federal stuff that has barely and brass or something like Remington that has a long jacket of brass near the back of the shell. I think this is one of the most common issues with ANY shotgun action is the fact that shells like federal don't give the gun enough slip to properly handle the shell.

20. shooter58

shooter58 New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1400619169.390773.jpg

A variety of shells. All worked well. I'm sure I will find something it doesn't like as well t some point.