Keltec issues

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ALfiremedic1, Apr 2, 2013.

1. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

About a week ago I bought a keltec 3AT .380 and took it out for the first time today. It's already been broken in as far as I know. I went through a box of 50, and I had 12 FTF and 6 FTE. I was shooting the Lawman ball ammo, don't remember the grain. Any ideas?

2. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

My wife had one and it did the same, but with Herter ammo. We got rid of it. I cleaned the crap out of it and still did the same thing. Maybe there is a trick, but like I said we got rid of it.

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

FTFire? Feed?

FTEject or extract?

Important differences in diagnosis.

Did you clean factory gunk?

4. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Did you buy it new or used?

5. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

The P3AT requires a vise-like hold to prevent "limp wristing" failures. This is why I recommend the P32 instead.

6. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

Factory gunk has been cleaned. Bought it from a dealer and had low round count. I might try again next week, but if it doesn't work, I will be taking it back

7. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

It too may be a matter of a picky gun. My Ruger LC brothers, which the KelTecs are modeled after, both hated Blazer brass, but loved Remington UMC. Try something different before you assume the worst.

8. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

Screw it...I'm gonna take it back and get a Ruger LCP. Can't go wrong there.

9. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I liked mine. Never had a problem with it. The only reason I sold it was that with age (65+) I have increased weakness in my hands and I found it harder & harder to rack the slide. Otherwise a nice gun.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine was reliable BUT I had to hold on tight and it beat the crap out of my trigger finger. The LCP is not much if any better. I sold that too. They will teach you to flinch. I now have a Sig 238 and it is a pleasure to shoot and accurate.

11. roadster

roadster New Member

I have never had a problem with my p3at. Some say you have to break it in but mine was good out of the box.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont have a problem racking but my Sig 238 is easier to rack if you cock the hammer first.

13. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yup, another reason to love SAO or DA/SA guns!

14. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

I know it's not comfortable to shoot, but its for protection. I do trust the Ruger name and quality. If I can't get this problem fixed, that's where I'm headed

15. coonbait

coonbait Member

if you can take a look at the KAHR CW380, much better then the kel-tec and ruger. the CW380 is new go on their web site and look at it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  16. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

One if the reasons why I like the keltec and Ruger is because of the belt clip option. I summer carry at 6 o'clock and always wear shirts and t shirts. I'm a smaller framed guy so that configuration fits well.

17. rpg1520

rpg1520 New Member

Did you mean the CW9 or PM9?
    Excellent guns, I moved from a Kel-tec PF9 to a Kahr, night and day difference.

However, when I bought the Kel-tec the firing pin fell out after about 50 rounds and I sent it back to the factory. When I got it back the gun was much smoother and better running, I think they went thru the whole gun. You might consider doing that if you have the time to wait for them to fix it.

18. coonbait

coonbait Member

the CM380 it's new. i have the CM9 and really like it.

19. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

Well I solved all my problems. I went s got a Smith&wesson bodyguard today. My keltec still had issues after a thorough cleaning and ammo change

20. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Lol there ya go. I tend to sell guns I do t find reliable as well.