Kel-Tek PF9

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by foot2400, Apr 10, 2014.

1. foot2400

foot2400 New Member

I'm going to be getting a kel-tek pf9 this weekend and I was wondering everyone's thoughts on them. I've read a lot of reviews on them and see that they are kinda junk. Does or has anybody have or had one? Is there anything I can do to make them reliable? The one I'm getting is having problems with ejecting. I have read the the extractor spring sometimes comes loose or are just weak. I plan on using this one for experience in gunsmithing for myself. Let me know your thoughts.

2. Mercator

Mercator New Member

One word for that is "inconsistent". There is no way to tell how every new PF9 will behave until you start practicing with it. Some people are very happy with theirs. I wasn't.

It's been a while, so correct me if I am wrong, but I think the extractor is actually removed for regular field stripping. That means easy, and probably cheap, replacement.

Another word from experience, you may have to shoot the heck out of it to polish it internally and break in. Also prepare to accept the fact that your PF9 does not like wide nosed hollowpoints. You will get to know it soon enough. Good luck and good shooting.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have a P11. I can easily carry the P11 in my pocket. If you are a tinkerer Kel Tec is all right. You get a pistol you will carry a lot for a great price. Kel Tecs have a lot of small parts that you will have to change as maintenance. Personally, I would look at the Ruger LC9. The size advantages of the Kel Tec is meaningless if you can't keep it running.

4. foot2400

foot2400 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm paying $100 for it. So to me it's a win win. If I can fix it then awesome if not then I'm sure I will learn something trying. I have all the machines I might need and I know the concept of how a gun works. I just need the hands on.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You need a set of long roll pin punches to fix a Kel Tec. The Harbor freight punches are fine. The pins are not hard to get out. You want to have the right size punch to eliminate collateral damage. Parts are cheap and easy through the kel tec store.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Crap shoot. I had a really good P11. I wanted something a little smaller and traded for a PF9. Big mistake. I got rid of it and picked up another newer P11 but it was not the same. My old one had been worked over by the gunsmith I bought it from. It had a decent trigger and never malfunctioned in over 6K rounds. Mostly reloads. I did have one dead primer but nothing would set that one off. The P3AT was reliable but miserable to shoot. No more Keltecs unless I run across a sub 2000 cheap.

7. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I carry the Kel tek, I have the belt clip kit installed plus the trigger addition.
    It fits so flat you can carry with just a T shirt to cover it. I wear mine between my pants and belt, clipped on my belt.
    If you buy one, contact Kel Tek for the clip kit, about $12.00
    DSCN0631_resized.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  8. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

My father was going to get the PF9 but the gander moutain guy told him Kel-Tek has had a rough history of their quality in firearms. I can't really say anything becuase I have never dealt with Kel-Tec firearms. If I were you, I would get it and go through at least 250-500 rounds of ammo and if it fails, then that is better than needing it and it fails.

REMEMBER: .380'S AND POCKET PISTOLS ARE NOT BUILT TO BE RANGE GUNS. THEY WEAR OUT SOOO FAST BECAUSE THEY ARE PURELY MEANT FOR SELF DEFENSE!

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Agreed, and besides the Sub 2000, A PLR 16 or PLR 22, Or PMR-30...I have a P3AT i'm messing around with,...I got it in trade for some 45ACP ammo. If I get it fixed and working, big win...if not,..It'srty something to practice with. I'd rather have the P11 because the grip is slightly larger and thus, somewhat better overall. Buddy of mine has 2 PF9's, a P11, and an SU-16 in his motor home, and swears by them,...
    CDNN has Mags for all the Kel-Tec Guns BTW ....OP: Make sure every Mag you buy feeds cleanly, and get a good after market grip, if you can find one, and if you can make it work right, it will wind up being a good pocket gun. But watch what you FEED it. Someone above mentioned Wide nosed HP's which in fact are advised against. If you can find JSP's, use them. Some heavier HPs(124Gr. & 147Gr.) are also recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  10. foot2400

foot2400 New Member

I have read good things about the P11. But I haven't seen one in person yet. Thanks again everyone for advise.

Dr. I glad u mentioned CDNN for mags because this one only has one mag with it. That was going to be one of the first things I replace. As far as grips hogue makes a nice little slide over rubber grip I was going to try out. The gun will be here Monday so I keep everyone posted.

11. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

IMHO one worked well enough for Zimmerman.

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I had one. It was light, cheap, and functioned flawlessly. They're not built for high volume shooting, and they're neither fun to shoot nor easy to be accurate with for most folks. But they do work.

While I'm sure there are many duds out there, I'm confident most of the cycling issues these gun endure are user-induced. They simply don't operate well without a confident and positive grip. They can feel like a firecracker going off in your hand.

For new guns, the extra $100 spent for a S&W Shield or Kahr CM9 results in a massive upgrade is terms of quality and performance.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Fix it !! Maybe nothing worng with it that a good cleaning, a lube job a better class of ammo and a shooter that has good control does not fix. I had one. Ran almost 2000 rounds trouble free thru it before moving to kahrs. If its new and not "working" I would send it back to KT or ask them to send you the parts you need. They tend to do that regularly. Go to KTOG and read on the "fluff and buff" section and do what you think it may need. Get cha a old used 1.75 bike inner tube free from bike shops, custom cut a several pieces to cover as much grip area as you can . See how many rounds you can shoot before grip issues screw with it cycle well. Bid pistols 500 rounds can be shoot . PF-9, maybe 50 /100 before your hand screams hey stupid , take a break. 100 bucks is a great deal.

14. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I picked up a new PF9 just before X-Mas last year,,, I have had no troubles at all,,, the DAO trigger was much better than I had figured and it's accuracy to about 15 yards is not bad at all. It was meant for a summer carry gun, my 1911's are a little big for T-shirt wear, and I am very pleased with the pistol. I do clean it every time I take it for a round of practice, which may help reduce it's reputation for not being reliable, I know many folks who rarely clean their firearms,,, not a good practice to me, especially for an arm you may call upon to save your life or a family member's. My PF9 works well for me and after about 700 rounds, with reloads and factory fodder, no trouble after some initial break in issues,, a burr on the mag lip.

15. foot2400

foot2400 New Member

I got mine yesterday and took it apart. Found some burrs on the feed ramp and a nasty burr on the inside of the slide where the barrel has been rubbing. I'm hoping to shoot it this weekend. Other than that I like the way it feels. And very easy to conceal. Here are some pics of the burr on the inside of the slide. I'm going to smooth it out and put a little chamfer on it and maybe the barrel. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1397566173.972513.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1397566187.395697.jpg

16. DrFootball

Two other things Foot: Lyman/Pacmayr(sp. Sorry) make a wrap around slide on rubber grip that might fill your hand better, and don't carry your mags in a POCKET unless you have a concealment Vest or Jacket with mag pockets. If you can't find a pocket pouch, knife pouches work for single stack mags of 9 rds.or less.. I use 2 for my LC9, when I wear a polo or t-Shirt over my pants waist...

17. foot2400

foot2400 New Member

Awesome thanks for the info Dr. I got to looking at the burr up part on the slide again and found a couple of stress cracks. So I won't be shooting it till I replace the slide. I'm going to call kel tek tomorrow if they are open and see what they can do for me. If I have to pay full price for a new slide then it will be a couple weeks.

Dearhunter good call on the bolt on clip. After wearing the gun around the house there really isn't a wrong place it put it.

18. DrFootball

Foot-PM me if you want. Im not fully re-certified yet(as an Inst. by the NRA) but I'm in Process of getting those back, and I help a lot of folks who are new to shooting or still "beginner" level. I also help out some seniors. Just a Ex-Teacher/Trainer in me...

19. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Well I own a PF9. Overall opinion, great gun for the price, although it can be tough to handle for some and they sometimes have their quirks.

As others have mentioned, you can't shoot more than 50 rounds with this gun before it is just tearing up your hand. You CAN NOT be scared with it either. This gun requires a strong man grip to cycle reliably, and having a strong grip also improves felt recoil.

One of the first thing I suggest is to shave down any burrs inside the slide or frame. That helps greatly. Also, if there is any burrs in the grips then you will know about it when you shoot, so file those down too.

As far as parts go, they are extremely inexpensive. I went online and bought 3 of just about every part I thought could ever break and it was under $40. So now I have backups in case something does break, not that it has. (I like being prepared like that).

I have only dealt with customer service twice but both times was exceptional. Very nice staff and very willing to help.

And now I have saved the best advice for last, but this is very IMPORTANT!
    The PF9 has major problems shooting ammo that is loaded in 9mm NATO brass. This can include military surplus, military surplus reloads, and SOME Winchester whit box ammo. The problem here is the extraction grove is shallower on NATO brass (at least the brass I have come across) than it is on commercial 9mm ammo. This shallower grove causes the extractor to not have as strong of a hold on the casing and the extractor will 'jump' over the rim. When this happens the brass usually ends up stuck partway out of the chamber and sometimes will require a wooden dowel rod to remove it. So stay away from any NATO casings, find yourself a brand of ammo that shoots reliably and use that.

Hopefully this clears up any issues or questions you might have. If you have any more questions just ask and I will try to help you out.

20. DrFootball

I noticed the same thing on the P3AT,...the extractor is a bit "Wonky" with some ammo,..usually European Ammo. I find it shoots American made ammo much better.