Kel-TecPF9

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Jpigg1, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Jpigg1

Jpigg1 New Member

Currently carry aRuger LCPas my everyday pocket carry and was looking to upgrade caliber. Was contemplating on getting a Kel-TecPF9 and was hoping to see if anyone knew if it was a good gun. From what I have researched it is, but wanted some real live feedback. Thanks!

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

It is not a well finshed pistol and has a heavy trigger and can be hard on the shooter. In shirt It is a basic MM CC pistol. If the shooter is up to it they can function just fine. I CC'd one for 2 years and fired close to 2000 rounds thru it. Never had an issue. But I did move on the kahrs as my carry line . Small heavy recoiling pistols in general can be problem prone do mainly to owners skill level and ammo . Buy a mid sized framed pistol and anyone can shoot them well.

Run a search on different forums and read people view of the handguns you have an interest in. Go to KTOG forum too and ask and read reviews there.

3. Jpigg1

Jpigg1 New Member

Okay thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

4. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I carry the Kel tec 9. It has performed very good for me. Once you know the trigger, no problem. It is not a range gun, thats for sure. Strictly a self defense weapon. I installed the trigger kit and belt clip kit. I dont use a holster. I clip mine on, and inside my belt. It lays so flat, I can carry with a T Shirt on.

DSCN0631_resized.jpg

5. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

You'd be worlds better off going with a ruger lc9 unless you have the patience to send your gun back to the factory 2 or 3 times while they "fix" crap that never should have come from their factory broken.

6. 1911love

1911love New Member

+1

That's how my EXP was with it. Now I'm looking to sell/trade mine. It's the hard chrome model and I put the Crimson Trace Light Guard on it. If I did it over again I would've gotten a Kahr PM9. Now that the XDs is out I'm not sure though.

7. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

Ask Mr George Zimmerman if his kel-tec got the job done :)

8. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

Great for self defense,but as a range gun,it really punishes the hand after awhile.

9. fmj

fmj New Member

Its a damn fine weapon.

I have carried mine with confidence for over 2 years.

Its an inexpensive weapon that goes bang every time you squeeze the trigger. (after it gets you broke in)

But as stated above, it does take some getting used to.

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Thugs everywhere agree... It's damn effective!

Just ask TM... Oh... Wait... You can't ask him. :p

KT's are not the "nicest" carry guns out there but... They are "thug" tested and victim approved.

Tack

11. Jpigg1

Jpigg1 New Member

Thanks all. That's exactly my intention for a gun like this. Not looking for a range shooter. Just want to upgrade my LCP to a dependable 9mm that can be carried in my pocket, doesn't break the bank and i can depend on in the unfortunate event I'd ever have to pull it out and use it.

12. 1911love

1911love New Member

LMFAO! Sounds like the old Kix cereal commercial, "kid tested, mother approved".

13. 1911love

1911love New Member

Might want to check out the Kahr CM9 too, it's a lower cost PM9.

14. fmj

fmj New Member

I would caution about just purchasing and "putting in your pocket".

It does have some "quirks" you will want to get used to before carry.

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

There are better options for $350-500. But there is no better micro 9mm for $250 in my opinion.

The PF9 isn't much fun to shoot. It's a no-frills lightweight carry gun, and shooting it can feel like a firecracker going off in your hands. Accuracy is difficult, but attainable for a practiced shooter. They're pretty darned reliable so long as you avoid limp wristing and maintain a positive grip.

I carried one for about a year. Upgraded when the Shield 9mm and XDs45 came out. Both are massively better. They also cost twice as much. The PF9 is an excellent option for its price point. But if you can afford the extra $100-150 for an LC9 or CM9, itd probably be worth it.

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have a Kel Tec P11 that I pocket carry. It's a double stack and it's very comfortable. I even use the magazine extension. If you are handy with tools you can shoot a kel tec. I have two kel Tecs. Both of them have broke. I keep fixing the kel tecs. I do shoot them a lot and they are true pocket pistols.

My P 3AT traveled back and forth to FL for the first five months I owned it. Then the head popped off the take down pin. I fixed the broken take down pin. Kel Tec did send free parts. The P 3AT shoots fair but it requires practice to be proficient with the lil thing.

The ejector broke on the P 11. Once again free parts and fixed it at home. Thr P 11 has a long trigger. I had to put a whites trigger stop on it before I could shoot it well.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013