Kel-Tec Rifles

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Corwin46, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Corwin46

Corwin46 New Member

Does anyone have any experience with Kel-Tec rifles. Are they reliable? Are they some what accurate? I have been thinking about getting one since the prices are affordable. Any Information would be greatly appreciated.

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Pieces of ****. Avoid them.

3. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Just wondering ... does that include Kel-Tec Sub 2000 9mm? One of the hardest weapon to find brand new out there. Just wondering.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

What does availability have to do w/ quality? Just wondering.

5. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

How do you really feel about them... LOL:D

6. fireguy

fireguy New Member

It is easy to make a bold statement like that and run. Do you have any experience with a Keltec rifle? I'm sure the members here would like to hear about the faults you have found in this platform.

7. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

I used to own a Kel-Tec SU-16. Outstanding rifle in every respect. It shot every brand and type of ammo I put it in without fail. Accuracy wise, it's probably not up to AR-15 standards, but it outshot any Ruger Mini 14 it ever came up against. It was a piece of cake to take down and clean, and the ability to fold it for storage was a big plus. So was the fact that it took standard AR-15 magazines. It is one gun that's on a very short list of guns I truly wish I had never sold. Still don't know why I ever did. If I had a chance to get another, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Who ran? As you can see I've made multiple posts in this thread. The OP was an opinion based question and I responded with my opinion. YMMV but I like my firarms a little more sturdy.

9. fireguy

fireguy New Member

OK, your opinion is based on practically nothing substantial. Fine.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

How is durability not substantial when dealing with firearms? Maybe the demands we put on our firearms are different.

11. fireguy

fireguy New Member

You did not say anything about durability. You said "sturdy". Sturdy is what I want a ladder to be. I don't ever remember seeing a review of a firearm where they ranked its "sturdiness".

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Lol I like when people start grasping at straws.

13. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Would it help if I said I put over 1000 rds through my SU-16 before I sold it? Never a hiccup. Functioned like the day it was new.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Round count is useless by itself. 1k in a day, year?

15. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

The OP asked if anyone had any experience with Kel-Tec rifles. I have had direct personal experience with one, and it was a very positive experience. So I shared that with the OP, as requested.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

And I have no problem with that. You and the other guy seem to be up in arms over my opinion. Like I said we obviously have different expectations from our firearms. I have no problem with a difference of opinion amd I don't remember saying your opinion wasn't valid.

In what time span did you go through the 1k rounds you mentioned because that does play a role in judging quality.

17. Corwin46

Corwin46 New Member

To Paladin201: Thanks for the input. This is the type of info I was looking for. I'm disabled and on a very limited income. There is no way I can afford an AR or Ruger mini 14 so the prices on the Kel-Tec SU-16 models had me very interested.

To mjkeat: I understand that you do not like this brand. Can you give me some more info as to why. I don't want to buy something that has serious problems as I can't afford to fix it.

Didn't mean to start a fight. Just doing some research before spending mt very limited funds. I appreciate any info, negative or positive, but I would really like some details as to why you have come to the conclusions that you have.

Thanks again to both of you for your input.
    Corwin46

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You didn't start a fight. There's different levels of use that require different levels of durability. We should have asked what your intended use was first. Sorry about that.

19. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Corwin, I have tried to find out why the MJKeat character doesn't like the gun. He obviously can't understand straightforward questions and give straight answers. I've only been around the Keltec handguns and have not had any problem with them. I would welcome informed discussion about your request on the Keltec rifles, I may want to try one some day. Hope you get some more responses besides the positive one from Paladin201.

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter