Kel Tec PLR 16, best PDW?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Cory8395, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Cory8395

Cory8395 New Member

The Kel Tec plr 16 is a nice little "pistol" chambered in 5.56x45 (.223). Its design is similar to the AK, M-14, and M1 Garand, making it incredibly reliable. Simply due to the size, price, accessories, and potential capabilities the Kel Tec plr 16 is one great PDW (Personal Defense Weapon). However, it is sporting the 5.56x45 (.223), witch is one extremely criticized round, people love it or hate it, I hate it. Caliber conversion kits are cheap (depending where you get them) so upgrade it to a 6.8 spc (or any other round you would prefer). Thanks for reading, I hope this post helped.

Attached Files:

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

It could be super-fun, but a personal defense weapon? IDK 'bout that! And to upgrade a Keltec to 6.8 seems like pure financial folly in my opinion. No stock on a weapon firing 6.8 SPC? Not my idea of fun...nor of accuracy.

Interesting way to say hello to the community. How about you pop on over to the introductions thread and tell us about yourself? Welcome.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Cory,I have owned a PLR-16 since they were put on the market.It is a fun gun to shoot,but to say it would make a Personal Defense Weapon is a big stretch.This is probably the loudest weapon that you could fire.Unless you are wearing very good hearing protection,you WILL damage your hearing the very first round that is fired.I wear plugs and muffs when I fire this gun,it is just that loud.

And unless you know something I don't,there are no caliber conversions available for the PLR-16.You can either get it in 223 or 223,take your pick.
    Although,Kel Tec does make it in 22LR,the PLR-22.

[​IMG]

4. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

I would have to say there are better choices out there like a Draco, AR pistol or a Serbu super shorty then wasting cash upgrading a Kel Tec.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Looks like a troll to me.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

One post. E-mail and IP are clean. *shrug* Might just be someone who likes the platform and is trying to foster opinions.

Personally I think the idea of a "pistol" shooting 5.56 or 6.8 SPC as a hidden, concealable, PDW a sincere stretch. That is a rifle round for a reason.

Try explaining THAT to the local PD after you let loose with 27 rounds of small caliber, fast moving projectiles at close range, more than half missing your target because of the recoil. :eek:

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Where I'm from only two types would carry a 5.56 or 7.62 pistol. One group is Italian, the other Russian. Let it run, bet it is a troll. They never asked for an opinion.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I'm not disagreeing, I am just saying the e-mail and IP are clean, so it's not one of the usual trolls. :rolleyes:

9. Cory8395

Cory8395 New Member

A troll is? And if you read the original post by me, there are lots of different accessories you can add, like a stock, and fore grip for more accuracy. The pic is just one of many custom options. and for a PDW you don't need the range of a normal rifle (hence the name PDW).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Actually no, you can't. Not without a tax stamp for an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) because that would violate Federal Law. Something the members here, on FTF, take very seriously when it comes to information being posted.

11. Txhillbilly

JD,You'd be suprised by how accurate these guns are.With match grade ammo,I can hold a 2in group at 50yrd,and around 4in at 100.
    Dead guy all day long in my book!
    Hell,Even shooting Wolf 62gr HP,I can dump a beta mag and have 95 percent of the rounds on a pie plate at 50 yards.Recoil isn't a factor with this gun.

12. sgtdusmc

sgtdusmc New Member

I have one and it is very accuate at distances beyound normal hand gun range. Also it is a gas piston gun and mine has always funtioned well plus it uses AR mags. I never thought that it had much recoil.

On road trips I carry mine next to me on the seat of my pickup with a small towel over it (CCW)

For self defense the muzzle vol. of 55 gr fmjs is just at the low side of fragmenting. I would look at a heaver expanding (not varmit) bullet say 60 to 70 grains. It should stablize a 70 gr bullet and have a volicity of close to 2,500 fps. that actually could be a formatable load

13. Wambli

Wambli New Member

This gun is similar to the AK, M-14 and M1 in the same way that a Honda Civic, a Hummer and a Ferrari are all cars. It is a neat gun that could be a decent self defense weapon if the user spends a lot of time learning to handle it proficiently but most folks won't and there are a LOT of IMO better choices out there for most SD scenarios.

Very curious, why do you hate the .223? It's cheap to buy or reload, inherently accurate and does it's job rather well when one picks the correct bullet/ammo and platform for the task at hand.

I totally fail to see the benefit of a 6.8 upgrade for any purpose this gun is designed for.

And on your second post, if you put a stock and/or a vertical grip on this puppy you'll be having some VERY serious conversations with the ATF boys who have NO sense of humor for folks that don't do their homework.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  14. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus New Member

With the appropriate tax stamp. The rear stocked, suppressed PLR, with a 100 rnd Sure fire magazine (or 2 or 3) it would be keen for CQB and building clearance.

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Dang. Another 5 year old thread from an OP that made 2 total posts and never came back.

We need to establish a grave diggers union for some of the threads that get uncovered around here

16. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I didn't even notice the dates! :D But Schnuffs still makes a good point. ;)

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yes. But since the thread there are pistol offerings from Sig, CZ, and others to compete as platforms that can be converted to SBRs after the NFA requirements are met. Or those that are ready hosts to use an arm brace for a pistol based PDW.

18. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus New Member

I was looking for accessories for my PLR16, Googled same and page 4 of Google brought me home... knd of a crazy mobius loop, glazed of course.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  19. Txhillbilly

I agree with the grave digging,Threads should be locked after 1 year of inactivity,IMO.

The PLR will accept any of the Kel-Tec SU-16 butt stock assemblies,so it is easy to turn into an SBR if someone wants to. I've thought about doing mine many times,but just have better things to waste $200 on.

20. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

But people are encouraged to use the search option to avoid creating duplicate threads. :confused: