Kel tec pf9

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Gvillegator, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Gvillegator

Gvillegator New Member

Just curious what u all thought of them? I have one that is basically my truck gun and I actually like it a lot more then I thought I would. Put plenty of rounds through it and and never had a FTF or a FTE that I heard where sometimes problems. Anyway just wondering ya'lls thoughts on it.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you got a reliable one that you like, then you should be set.

My opi ion is that KelTec is capable of producing some good designs. Their execution can be a little rough or crude in comparison to other manufacturers and their quality control doesn't seem so consistent. Some people get a gun that works great, some people get a gun that still needs work. Most that I've seen, need some smoothing out of sharp edges and sometimes working surfaces as well.

Nothing wrong with a good working one.

3. fmj

fmj New Member

I like mine well enough. Even if it doesnt lend its self to comfy shooting.

It worked well enough for George Zimmerman....

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

And it only took until the 3rd post before it came up. ;)

5. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Mine is great except with WWB. Then it has fte issues for the rest it is great.

6. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

like mine. I installed the belt clip kit and trigger kit. I clip in inside my belt and it lays so flat, I can conceal just wearing a T shirt and jeans. I consider mine as strictly CC. It is not a gun for at lot of shooting at the range. I have had no FTF issues.
    DSCN0634.jpg

7. fmj

fmj New Member

LOL! I do what i can.

8. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Mine runs good on anything except NATO brass. Some winchester white box is made of NATO brass. Don't ask why it hates that stuff but I avoid it like the plague.

I don't think shooting it is too bad. The recoil is snappy but manageable. The standard grip is a little short for all of my fingers but they make a +1 extension that goes on the bottom of the magazine and solves that problem while turning the capacity of the gun into a 8+1.

The best thing I like about the gun is parts for it can be bought straight from the kel Tec website very inexpensively. They are super fast on shipping and if you have a problem just give them a call and they will fix it.

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

From a morbid curiosity standpoint, I can't but wonder if KelTec has seen any increases in sales of the PF9, or in general, due to it's new fame (or infamy if you prefer.)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  10. Gvillegator

Gvillegator New Member

I have some of that Winchester in the white box haven't shot any of it though with the pf9 mostly federal with no problems. Did it FTF or FTE? Like I said I haven't had one problem yet and the more I shoot it the more I like it. Thanks for all the replies one of the main reasons I joined this sight was the friendly and knowledgable posters.

11. fmj

fmj New Member

no such thing as bad publicity. Bunch of free advertising.

Its funny folks say their rig wont eat WWB. I have yet to find anything mine wont eat. Horndy critical defense, federal ball, 146 gr subsonics, WWB...all of it.

12. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I had a few failures with WWB but mostly with once fired NATO brass. My problems were failure to extract. Once the gun fired the case would get stuck in the chamber midway through extraction because the extractor would jump over the rim of the case.

13. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

How do you know what NATO brass is?

14. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Because the range I bought it from does their own reloading and they told me that lot was from military surplus brass. Upon very close inspection it appears that the extraction groove on NATO brass (or at least the stuff they had) is not as deep as the off the shelf stuff. Just to be sure of the problem, we tried the ammo in multiple guns alongside mine and mine was the only one with the problem, but no problem with off the shelf stuff. They also let me try some 9mm rounds they reloaded in non-NATO brass; worked great.

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I had a PF9 for a while. Functioned fine. Not much fun to shoot and difficult to be accurate with beyond 10 yards.

It's what I'd call a 'value' carry gun. They're like $260-320, and it's a solid option in that price range. Also quite light and compact. You can do better (for a few hundred $ more), but you can also do a lot worse for the same price of the Kel-Tec.