Kel Tec pf9?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by JMAtactical, Sep 3, 2012.

1. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

Whats your take on the weapon over all

2. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

Check out the open thread on the concealed carry section. It's been going for a few days.

I had one and it served it's purpose. I liked it enough, but bought a different gun that filled the same purpose; so I sold it. If I still had it, I'd probably use it as a bug.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

3. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Don't know much about it other than it does have it's fans. Personally, for $70 more I'd get an LC9. And, I may buy a S&W Shield when I'm confident any bugs are worked out. With a pocket pistol, I'd want a thumb safety and the LC9 and Shield provide that. Plus, I prefer to stick with the bigger US manufacturers...but that's just me.

4. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

I had one and it was a good gun but I did get an occasional FTEs and that's not good for me to use for SD. Also there's a lot of reports of failures and that's not good either. I sold it and got me a Sigma 9mm. No problems at all with it.

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have one and it works like a charm. Zero failures ever, apart from failing to be enjoyable at the range. It weighs next to nothing, performs well enough, and feels like a firecracker going off in your hands. But it's a solid performer for the price.

But if you can afford to spend a bit more, do. The Ruger LC9 is a better weapon, and the S&W Shield better still, in my opinion. Both are quite affordable.

6. Oblivion9

Oblivion9 New Member

If you get a good one they are great. If you get a bad one and are patient and send it in to be fixed they are great. If nit they may not be for you.

Excellent price. Excellent size/weight.

7. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have a P-11 and a P-3AT both were a real pain in the butt. They shoot great now. The P-11 I bought used and fixed it my self. It was a lot of work, The P-3AT I bought new in April. I just got it back from warranty service less than 2 weeks ago. The P-3AT does work very well now.

I will not buy another kel tec under any circumstance. In fact, you can't give me one. I can buy a Hi Point for a lot less if I want a gun I need to work on NIB.

8. fmj

fmj Active Member

My pF-9 has always worked...you just need to have a solid grip on it so it will cycle. Its a jumpy lil rig.

I owuldnt hesitate to buy another 100% made in america KelTec product...unlike TAURUS garbage!

9. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I have one and carry it on occasion. It took about 200 rounds to break in the action. About 1500 later, no problems. Thats common with the pf-9 apparently.

Do not dry fire it without a snap cap. Half of your firing pin will end up flying across the room . That said, great customer service and they did replace the pin for free. took about 2 weeks to get it.

10. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

....or a Kimber :eek:

11. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

Wow not impressed. My buddy bought one and we just got bavk from the range. I wish i could post the video of it failing to fire almost every other pull. I hated the way it fired when it did fire and it is currently sitting at the gun smiths. Failure to fire plus the mag dropping while firing and i must say i am very dissapointed. I mean my sigma 40 performed without flaw.

12. fmj

fmj Active Member

Sure sounds like a case of operator error to me.

13. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

How is the mag dropping and failure to fire operator error...

14. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

He bought the gun didn't he? ;)

15. gollygee

gollygee New Member

In my case, dropping the mag is because the mag release is right under my thumb, due to my limited grip with my other fingers & I tend to grip harder with my thumb & occasionally drop the mag.

Don't know about the failure to fire if a round is in the chamber. Does the round show a firing pin mark? Again, because of my weak wrists, mine short cycles so the slide closes on an empty chamber then I get a 'click' in stead of a 'bang'.

16. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

Oh i see what your saying. That may in fact be true because i operated the pistol and was able to fire all the rounds in the mag without issue. I had not considered that

17. fmj

fmj Active Member

This is what i am getting at.

This little rig takes some getting used to.

If the mag is dropping during firing, it is because you are hitting the mag release button under recoil. This is not the fault of the gun but the shooter. Another issue new shooters find (my wife had this issue) is that it wont cycle properly due to a "limp wristing". Not saying your limp wristed, but the gun does have quite a bit of perceived recoil due to the nature of its size. Yet another issue new owners find is not allowing the trigger to travel all the way out before attempting to squeeze off another round. The firing pin will "short set".

These are all operator errors.

I have also found, my gun came with a magazine "extension" piece. Altho i dont have overly large hands, i DO have "man hands" and that little bit of extension helps me get my little finger on the grip...one wouldnt think it, but it DOES help control the the muzzle flip.

The PF-9 is IMHO a great little pocket (mouse) gun. But it certainly takes some getting used to. Nor does it lend itself to pleasant extended shooting periods. People talk about a guns break in period when new...in the case of the PF-9 i have found that the gun breaks in the shooter.;)

I will firing 2-3-4 mags thru it, then pick up the 1911 or 686 and shoot those for a while then go back to the PF-9 and fire a few more mags and so on and so forth when at the range.

When I first bought mine, i was at the range getting broke in. The guy in the stall next to me was shooting the S&W body guard. We swapped guns for a couple of mags. (as is often the case) I found that little .380 had the same amount of perceived recoil and one of the worst triggers i have ever encountered...for $100 more.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  18. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

I will pass that on. He is a new shooter and it fired fine for me