Kel tec. Pf9 fte problems???

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by running_fool, Mar 14, 2013.

1. running_fool

running_fool New Member

I have a Kel tec pf9 and the only ammo it seems to like is the Winchester white box 115g target rounds. All others seem to get stuck and don't eject. Anyone else having similar problems?

2. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

You can get help with that at KTOG forum... I had similar problems with mine... finally got to be such that I wouldn't trust it for edc so I sold it... good luck

3. running_fool

running_fool New Member

That's what I am afraid is going to happen! I appreciate it.

4. ThinkFastHolsters

ThinkFastHolsters New Member

I was in this category also when I had my PF9. At first 85% of my rounds were keyholing at 15-25 yards. Turns out it was some sort of machine issue when the barrel was rifled (or lack there of) so I sent the slide and barrel back and got the old fluff n buff treatment. After that I started getting FTEs but whats weird is that mine HATED winchester white box and yours loved it haha. I had had enough (this was all in the first 3 weeks after i bought it) so I sold it and bought a M&P Shield and never looked back!!!! most people get lucky with the PF9 and get a reliable workhorse but then there are people like us who get the crap end of the stick and get the lemons!

5. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

Yup I did all the usual... fluff n buff blah blah.... so many different brands ammo... fed fmj was the only thing it would shoot flawlessly... but I didn't want to carry fmj for edc... I went with Springfield... XDs and never a problem... the XDs was considerably more money... but considerably less issues glad I changed...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  6. running_fool

running_fool New Member

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with issues. I am a small guy and have a hard time concealing most guns. This one barely works. I just don't trust it to work properly in an emergency.

7. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

Had the same prob... that's why I chose xds... very close to same size

8. fmj

fmj New Member

most of the time the problems with PF-9's are operator error. Most dont want to hear that...but its the fact.

Its a tiny little gun that packs a wallup to the hand/wrist. When i first got mine i occasionally had FTE's (stove pipes) wife had em much more frequently. What it comes down to is "limp wristing" the gun.

Get a grip on it, fire it often and allow the gun to break you in. As Cane talks about the 1911 500 breakin...the pf-9 requires the same...only its not just "breaking in" it own mechanical parts...its breaking in the shooter as well.

I am well over the 500 rd count in my pf-9 and i dont hesitate to EDC mine. (i much prefer the 1911..but its way to big for many of my carry situations where total and complete concealment are necessary)

9. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

I don't agree... I know how to shoot a gun... the problem was quality ...you get what you pay for... if it was limp wristing I would think the XDs would give more problems its got a bit more punch then pf9... but it has never had any of the issues the kel Tec had

10. ThinkFastHolsters

This may be true in the case of a novice shooter or someone who isnt expecting the snappy recoil from the PF9 but these FTE issues that have come up a couple of time already in this thread are definitely due to poor production. Mine had no FTEs with 50 rounds of Horandy CD or 75 or so of Federal Premium but then would hang up every other shot on WWB and speer gold dot. I know most guys say "eff that, i dont limp wrist!!" (in a macho man voice) when they are accused of such but I have done my fair share of limp wristing early on and know the symptoms and the issues with MY PF9 were not due to that. Its a wide spread issue with Kel Tec. Either you get one that works or you get one that doesnt. I am of the latter!

11. fmj

fmj New Member

xd's are a different animal being a double stack they have a "blockier" profile and easier to control. I have shot more than a few mouse guns in .45 and didnt have the initial trouble i had with the pf-9.

I have shot many, MANY different brands and styles of pistol, the pf-9 is the one that gave me the most issue "getting a grip on it". Its surprisingly snappy little gun, its a handful!

That typed, EVERY type/brand/style of gun i have ever shot has always had some sort of misfire/feed at some point. GLock, XD, Ruger, Smith, 1911....380, 9mm, .45 etc.

I refuse to buy into the "you get what you pay for" excuse...in my life i never buy the cheapest of anything, but i never buy the most expensive either. I have found middle of the road equipment best.

I have seen Kimbers out shot by my beat up old springer....I have seen glocks fail....I have seen/had Taurus fail. My 1911 had issues, until learned the gun and dialed it in...same with my pf-9...same with my 686.

People NEVER want to blame themselves, its easier to blame a mechanical contraption...in my 30+ years of shooting i have learned that MOST (not all) the time its operator error and NOT the gun.

12. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

XDs is a single stack. 45... I'm saying Kel Tec does make a lower quality firearm then some of the others and the problems that the pf9 have are the same for a lot of shooters... I'm just pointing out that you either get a good one or bad one... mine was bad... and the recoil on the pf 9 isn't anymore "snappier" the a polymer in 45 caliber...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  13. fmj

fmj New Member

My friend, i heartily disagree. 1st the XD's are a double stack and second the pf-9 is more of a handful than any other rig i have handled. (.357, 44 mag, and 500 short barrels excluded....kinda)

14. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

No disrespect bro.. but I carry this single stack XDs everyday....

ForumRunner_20130317_091018.jpg

ForumRunner_20130317_091032.jpg

15. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Asking if a Kel Tec has problems is like asking if a Scotsman drinks. Well of course!

16. fmj

fmj New Member

Yeah, thats an XD - S...the S stands for single stack....Most of your XD's are double stack. I have yet to see an XD-S for sale around here mush less see one on the range.

My entire point, In my experience, Keltecs are a fine, as good as any other out there that cost more $$, firearm. I carry one every day and DO bet my life on it.

17. ThinkFastHolsters

LOL he was saying XD-s every time, not XD's :D too funny

you are lucky to have a good experience from the start with KelTec. Quite a few of us (as displayed in this thread) have not been nearly as lucky and it has turned us off from them going forward. As far as the "you get what you pay for" i agree with you on that outlook. I have seen numerous Hi Points run like champs with no issues and while they look ugly and make me want to throw up, its $150~ well spent for the user because it worked. But for me and the other gentlemen in this thread KelTec blows and I wil never own one again. Not because I am a new shooter and I dont know how to operate certain firearms, but because we got one out of the bad batch and we are not dealing with that crap again. Glock and S&W will be what makes up most if not all of my handgun collection because I know I can count on them

18. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

Lol :) this is one of those times correct spelling makes a difference huh.... yes I meant XDs... not XD's... and thx I know the difference I have a double stack .40 XD... but my point as well with zombihunter

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  19. fmj

fmj New Member

one last note on this subject.

I have seen the infallible Glocks FAIL.

I have shot the S&W Bodyguard it had one of the stiffest, grittiest triggers i have ever squeezed.

My PF-9 has one of the best factory triggers i have used. (in that style/at that price point only the Ruger LR9c has a better one...and that is $100 more)

Kel-Tec is 100% made and manufactured in America. I drooled over the XD's for a while, when i had a wad of $$ i was going to pull the trigger, but on final inspection saw the croatian stamp and passed.....my safe proudly contains ONLY 100% AMERICAN made firepower.

Whereas i know Keltec has had its issues when they first started operations....i believe they have ironed out their issues. Any company when first starting out is going to have some "growing pains". It seems the ones reporting the troubles are guys that bought the first generations of the keltecs...mine is only about 2 years old.

But i also know the feeling about being snakebit by a product/company. I had a Taurus PT-145 that every time i shot it the frame broke...after the third trip back to the factory (waiting 6 months to get it back each time) i sold the damn thing to guy that just "HAD" to have it....will NEVER buy another Taurus POS again.

20. running_fool

running_fool New Member

Update to the Fte problems. I called Keltec and they sent me a new extractor pin and spring. Problem solved! Three hundred rounds and no problems.

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk