Firearms Talk banner

Kel-Tec PF9 ammo issues

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  John_Deer 
#1 ·
(QUESTION AT THE BOTTOM)

So I finally just took my new PF9 out to the range to test it out. Since I only had one box of 9mm (Blazer Brass 115gr) I bought another box at the range to shoot with. The ammo I bought was from a local company that reloads once fired brass; it was also 115gr.

Well I started running into a few issues. Two fired cases got stuck in the chamber and I couldn't for the life of me rack the slide so I had to remove the extractor, remove the barrel and push the spent case out with a rod. I also noticed that the primers looked flatten like the loads were too hot and they were experiencing primer flow.

Luckily the guy who works for the ammo reloading company also works for the range. Well after some time of test firing with multiple lot numbers and multiple weapons, we came to the following conclusions.

1) My Kel-Tec PF9 has a rather large firing pin hole which allows some primer flowback. This is not critical or because of the ammo (which was my first thought) because we tried the same ammo in several guns.

2) The local ammo is all from once fired NATO brass. NATO appears to not have as deep of a "extraction groove" (the actual name escapes my mind right now) below the rim.

3) My PF9 like the commercial ammo over the NATO brass.

They ended up refunding me my money on the ammo and are going to set aside a few boxes of their reloads in the commercial brass when they get some made up for me to try out. That range is always very helpful but I was extremely impressed today by their desire to help out and do some research with me to try to work in my new gun.

So for anyone who owns a Kel-Tec PF9, what type of ammo, both range and self defense, have you found that works best. I have read that the PF9 doesn't like 124gr or higher. Is this true?

See less See more
#2 ·
I know thi smay not help but here's my experience. My friend has a PF-9 which I put through paces before I decided to buy an LC9. The PF9 was finicky and even FTF'd some commercial loaded ammo. That gun sucks imo and wouldn't trust it for carry. The LC9 still occasionally FTF's reload but I've had zero issue with commercial ammo. I'd recommend getting a different weapon if it's for carry. The LC9 is only $350....

#3 ·
I appreciate your opinion, but I decided to buy the PF9 for various reasons over the LC9 and other guns. I am still testing it out and have no money to go buying any more guns right now. All of my problems have been with the reloads made with NATO brass and haven't had a single problem with commercial loads. I am just trying to see if anyone has some knowledge on what type of ammo will work best with this gun as ammo is hard to come by at this point in time.

Most guns have the potential to be finicky with some types of ammo.

#4 ·
In case anyone was wondering, I figured out the issue. My Kel-Tec PF9 does not like military or NATO brass. Apparently Winchester white box is also military brass.

The guys at the range today helped me figure this out. It ran Blazer brass just fine and a box of Winchester PDX1's with no problems. Now my hand hurts from running so many rounds through a small snappy gun.

#7 ·
Mine shoots flawlessly ANY commercial round, but will NOT fire handloaded rounds. The result is exactly as the original poster described in his post. I bought one of the Classic Lee Loader kits for 9mm and it has turned out to be a total waste of money....stick with factory ammo and you'll be just fine.

#8 ·
It took a lot of work and a few learning experiences to get my Kel Tecs running flawlessly. Most of the time the problem with a Kel Tec is trash in the finish under slide rails. Cut off the end of 2x4 in thin piece that will fit under the rails. Glue some emery cloth on the 2x4. Now, you have a perfect tool to clean under the rails. Buff the outside of the rails paying particular attention to the end off the rails.

When breaking in a new Kel Tec Tula or any steel case ammo will speed up the process. I have got all types of guns running right by simply shooting a box of steel case ammo with the problem child.

I prefer Wolff magazine springs for all my guns but they perform best in a Kel Tec. The P-3AT runs best with a 13 LB Wolff recoil spring. The heavier springs did not help the performance of the P-11. They only help to fire the weapon faster with less muzzle whip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.