Kel Tec P3AT problem found

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by danf_fl, May 2, 2014.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I started to have problems disassembling my Kel Tec P3AT.

I found the problem to be in the recoil rod area. The head of the rod is dis-formed a little (no longer round, but with flat areas).

Removing the slide is getting difficult. The head of the recoil rod is "catching" on the metal inside of frame and stopping removal of slide. It looks like there is a "divot" in the metal where the recoil rod head would normally be situated. With the recoil spring assembly removed, there is no problem.

I'm getting with Kel-Tec.

2. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

I don't know if you have ever dealt with KT's customer service, but it is honestly some of the best customer service I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. If you shoot them an email, they are good at getting back back to you and will generally send you whatever parts you need no questions asked. If there is an updated firing pin for your serial number, have them send that as well.

3. danf_fl

They are sending me a new guide rod. The new firing pin can wait for now, and I am reserving the right to send the pistol back. :)

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I had the same problem with my P3AT. I would send it back if you still can. I have to fix something about my P3AT all the time. I doubt it fires 250 rounds without breaking something. I only use standard FMJ ammo in the P3AT.

I keep my kel tec pistols running well enough to bet my life on them but I will never own another Kel Tec regardless of the price.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  5. danf_fl

I got the new guide rod and the problem has not reared its head (yet).

6. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

My p11 had a problem with the take down pin coming loose when fired. One email to keltec. And they mailed me a new one. No charge guns been working flallly sinceo

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Like you said with scopes, everyone can have a lemon. I had a P3AT and it was reliable. I sold it because I just did not like it. I did not like the LCP either. I traded off a very good P11 for a PF9 and it was a bad mistake. The PF 9 was never reliable. The old P11 never had a gun related malfunction in over 6K rounds of anything that would fit in it. It had been tuned by the gunsmith I bought it from. I thought it might be nearing the end of its life span with that many rounds. I traded the PF9 off for something but dont remember what. I picked up a newer model P11 but it just did not have the same feel. It was reliable through the 400-500 rounds I put through it. I would like to get a Sub2000 with Beretta mags.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

My P11 is pretty sturdy. So far the only thing that breaks is the ejector. Once the ejector gets a shiny spot from contact with the slide call for a new ejector and roll pin. It won't be long until the ejector breaks. I almost didn't buy my Glock because it has the same type ejector. I am glad I did get the Glock 19. It's the only 9mm you will find that has a 15 round capacity and a 4" barrel that you can pocket carry.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I ran into something interesting yesterday. The lgso handed me his G19 with a Crimson Trace LG619 that goes on the back strap and the gun fit my hand. Filling in that back made a big difference.

10. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Kel-Tec's CS is amazing. I also love how inexpensive their parts are. Speaking of, I need to go order me the takedown/barrel retaining/slide retaining thingy ma-bobby pin for my PF9.

11. kuntreebouy

kuntreebouy New Member

I own the su22lr and love it, I can run any kind of 22lr through it and empty the mag as fast has I pull the trigg.,, I also owned a su16c and never had a prob. with it either, I did sell it though, I have 3 kids ,ol lady, and a blue collar job, so I had my ar15 and the su16c and had to part with 1 so I kept my ar15, I would've loved to kept the gun but with my financial situation I couldn't afford to keep 2 guns in the same caliber, I cant shoot them both at the same time, maby later in life ill be able to afford to get another su16c and not have to sell it, the only bad thing I can say about keltec is the warrenty doesn't transfer to the 2nd owner, with that being said,, ill just buy it new when I can

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The P3AT has been disaster for me. The first 7 months I owned the pistol it was in FL most of the time. After keeping the gun for 5 months kel tec sends the gun back with 75% of the feed ramp cut off. Finally I called my credit card company to see if the buyer protection will help me get my money back. We have a conference call with Kel Tec. My gun is back in two weeks running like a champ.

As you might might imagine all that left a sour taste in my mouth. If Kel Tec had fixed my gun right the first time I would still consider buying another Kel Tec. As it stands I am done with Kel Tec.

13. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I am not sure why Kel Tec is still in business. Personally, their ideas and ergonomics for their firearms are outstanding, But when it comes to the quality, they are just not there. I had high expectations for the KSG and it is semi-ok and semi-not ok.

14. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Some people equate weight and price with "quality."
    Keltec builds the lightest carry guns on the market. Their manufacturing methods allow them to keep pricing low. They do this extremely well. I think that's quality.

15. danf_fl

Firearms are a secondary product for Kel-tec.

The main company produces aircraft parts.

16. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Wow. Learn something new everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Kinda makes me not want to fly.

18. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

That is absolutely wrong! The other company is not related to the Keltec that makes guns.

19. danf_fl

That is what was explained to me when I called trying to get some PMRs.

I apologize if that is incorrect.

20. Mercator

Mercator New Member

As you said, because it is different, plus value.
    Most will agree, most any KelTec is a hit-or-miss proposition. The KSG? You probably expected too much bro. It looks great on the glossy covers. It is also the loudest (per my FFL, to whom nothing is too loud), nastiest smoke-inhalation device known to the shooting world. For the price of an M2? The first ones flew off the shelves, but that seems over.