Kel Tec P3AT .380 ACP

By Mark F, Sep 1, 2008 | |
  1. Mark F

Mark F Active Member Supporter

View attachment 177214

Manufacturer - Kel Tec

This is my "carry" autoloader, a Kel Tec P3AT. It's a .380ACP caliber 6+1 capacity. It is about as small as you can get with a 380 and still hang on to it during your "time of Need". I had some feed issues at first but a polish job on the ramp fixed it. Kel Tec says it needs breaking in... maybe so, But you can't put you life at risk with a gun that "needs breaking in". That's why I opted to Fluff & Buff my Kel Tec right from the start. It will shoot any .380 ammo, but +P IS NOT RECOMMENDED on a regular basis. I don't use +P because it is brutal on your hand in this pistol.

What I really like about the P3AT is, it fits in your front pocket nicely. There is NO SAFETY, and it's recommeded to have "one in the chamber". I AGREE. The pistol IS NOT COCKED until you PULL the Trigger. So you are safe having one in the chamber & no safety. It's a "POINT N' SHOOT" pistol.

Ruger makes a similar pocket 380 called an LCP. It's almost identical to the Kel Tec. The Kel Tec is a little less expensive but Ruger is a good Brand Name... so you'll have to decide for yourself which one you like better.

For what it's worth, I take my P3AT everyehere...​
  2. seedy

seedy Member

one of the best carry pistols for lightweight summer clothes. designed to be shot a little and carried a lot. Price Payed: $0.00 Recommended? Yes Pros: very reliable Cons: narrow grip

3. reptile45

reptile45 New Member

a great conceal carry gun with a nice lil punch Price Payed: $0.00 Recommended? Yes Pros: carry mine all the time,wallet holster back pocket,small but will do the job Cons: none found as of now,had it a about year and a half,no ftfs
  4. Hawkwatcher

Hawkwatcher New Member

When I got mine new out of the box, the first thing I did was strip it and give it a good cleaning to remove all factory grease. I also polished the feed ramp with some emery cloth. I then went to the range and shot two mags of JHP ammo through it. At first the groupings were very wide but by the 2nd mag they tightened up and then ended up with tight groups after only two mags. This is a marvelous weapon for the experienced shooter. Overall, I'd have to say it is well worth the cost, is well made, and very accurate. If you like a small weapon with a lot of bark, this is your gun. I absolutely adore this weapon. Price Payed: $270.00 Recommended? Yes Pros: It is extremely light and very easily concealed. It is also able to handle JHP ammo. Big enough to do the job. I absolutely love this weapon. Cons: This is not a primary carry weapon for beginning shooters. It needs a few tweeks and a bit of breaking in. It is also not a "point and shoot" weapon due to it's light weight. It has quite a lot of bark and buck but 2 hands take care of this.
  5. Grunt13

Grunt13 New Member

Very good carry pistol. I never leave home without it. Shoots good for a pocket pistol. It takes some getting used to because of how light it is and the increased recoil. Carrying it everywhere it gets surface rust fairly quickly. Rust, pocket lint, rain, dirt etc... has never been a problem with function. Would recommend to anyone. Definitely practice with it so you know what to expect if you need to use it. Price Payed: $300.00 Recommended? Yes Pros: Light, simple to use Cons: finish
  6. wgp8435

wgp8435 New Member

I like the lifetime warranty which I will use to send this back for factory repairs. I read a lot of good reviews before buying this little guy, but have had issues ever since purchasing it. It is just not reliable. Imagine being confronted with a life and death situation and you pull your Keltec out quickly and realize you have to shoot to save your or your loved one's life, and all you hear is "click." God help us. Carrying a small concealable gun is false security unless it is "absolute." This one, unfortunately, is not in that category. Price Payed: $270.00 Recommended? No Pros: None if you die from mechanical failure. Cons: I have run about 700 rounds and have continued problems with intermittent jamming or failure to fire and/or eject. Is usually one mishap every 2 magazines. I have tried various brands of ammo plus used good maintenance. Is fun to shoot when it works, but this is not for sport shooting. I am going to continue carrying my Glock 19 which is too big for my tastes, but gets the job done in an emergency.
  7. maddoccanis

maddoccanis New Member

I carry in a Desanti pocket holster as a backup. Price Payed: $300.00 Recommended? Yes Pros: small size Cons: DAO accuracy Synopsis: shoots accurately with practice. you must slowly squeeze till hammer is ready to fall, then finish with a little squeeze.
  8. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

A great carry gun, a horrible range shooter. It's quite unwieldy when firing it at the range. Not at all fun to shoot in any quantity. However it serves the purpose well for an every day carry weapon with ease of concealment. I wouldn't recommend this for a woman to carry given that it can be difficult to control. For the ladies I'd say the P32 .32 is far superior. However, I'd buy it again to carry Price Payed: $309.00 Recommended? Yes Pros: Small, lightweight, accessories readily available Cons: Not a pleasure to shoot, not easy to strip and clean Synopsis: A good carry gun