Featured Kel-Tec P3 AT Screw Problem

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by sheriffjohn, Jan 13, 2018.

1. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Active Member

Received a little Kel-Tec P3AT .380 from an online gun auction yesterday in really rough shape. In addition to dried mud and sand inside, no finish on metal, accumulated hardened ackumpucky, and heavy "Chew" marks on the grip, It will not do more than dimple a primer.

I've thoroughly cleaned, scrubbed, and soaked everything so the gun is as good as that can get. However, the firing pin is inaccessible unless the screw holding the spring on the outside of the rear of slide can be loosened. The slot is buggered up to the point I cannot tell if the screw is for an allen wrench, "star" bit, or what. Anyone know what fits said screw ?

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Sheriff,
    That is what is called a Kel-Tec Button Head Screw. I am almost positive it is not slotted, it is a Hex Head Screw. If you can not get it out. You may want to get you a small set screw extractor or go to a tool shop that has one.
    You can get new Kel-Tec Button Head Screws. They must have some issues where they are needed frequently?
    Here is a picture of the type of Screw Extractors!
    SET SCREW EXTRACTOR.png 03

sheriffjohn likes this.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The screw on my Kel-Tec is a hex.

4. sheriffjohn

Thanks Guys ! You solved my problem. I also visited the Kel-Tec website and found everything I need to restore the little pistol. Unbeknownst to me, the only FFL part on the gun is the aluminum "block" (for want of a better term) which forms the basis of the action. Kel-Tec even offers the complete "grip" for $34 which is the frame and most of the pistol sans slide and barrel. As soon as I get the buttonhead screw out, I can clean the firing pin race and see if it needs replacing. More polishing and perhaps ceracote and the gun will truly look like new. Thanks again !

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Sheriff,
    I also think Numrich Arms - Gun Parts Company has parts for them if you need an additional source.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  6. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

When you reassemble the gun, make sure you use blue Locktite on the extractor screw.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  7. sheriffjohn

Well, Management (wife) spotted my new project on the workbench. She was not impressed. "Why didn't you just buy a new one ?"

"Uh...I didn't know that was an option." Note to the newly-married (or those who about to be) : Unless you spouse shares your love of guns, it's best to pay cash (not the Visa Card) and sell one or two occasionally with great fanfare on the profit. Just sayin.