kel tec owners please help

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by dsmith84, Mar 15, 2010.

1. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

hi guys could you guys help me? i wanna buy a kel tec p3at from a friend but i wanna make sure its clean but we can't find the serial number on it. could anyone tell me where to look? i feel like i looked at it pretty well and couldn't find it but there also weren't any spots were anything looked sanded or grinded off. again where is it? where do i look? i'm gettin a great deal almost too good to be true thats why i really wanna make sure its not hot before i buy its brand new looks unfired with case and trigger lock for $120 so i really wanna jump on it plz help guys

2. greenjeans

greenjeans New Member

Mine is on the back of the slide just below the hammer. Mine is 1st generation. Don't think it changed on second, but not sure. I certainly would be leary of a $120. P3AT, especially w/o a number.

3. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

IF it isn't there after exhausting the normal spots for #'s check for a little "dremle" work. Never owned or shot one but I am also pretty keen to find an id on a firearm...

H

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Sounds too good to be true. Does that help?

5. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

No # anywhere ?.. For that price ?.. You could go to the "seedy" part of town and sell it for 150.. Just kidding !!
    If the person you are buying from cannot verify where it came from, chances are he's up to no good also..

6. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Should be just below the hammer, above the tang. The numbers are laser engraved. The polymer grip frame is not part of the registered portion, only the steel "chassis", and the two are easily seperated.

If for some reason, you can't find it, seperate the polymer frame from the steel and look again. The numbers are required to be visible without disassembly.

Sounds too good to be true...

7. greenjeans

greenjeans New Member

[​IMG]

The P3AT is on the right. The numbers are not hard to see. Like I said before, this is a Generation 1, but I think all of them are in the same place.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

A friend? Just ask him, and ask for a bill-of-sale!

One bit of hesitation on his part, WALK AWAY.

9. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

well i was in kind of a hurry when i looked at it and that might've been the one place i aint really look. thanks alot guys that picture really helps a bunch too. i'm gonna go by there tomorrow and check it out it looked brand new and still in original box with trigger lock on it looked unfired (no 380 ammo locally have to buy online) probably the problem and my friend doesn't know much about guns and acquired it from a family member for next to nothing so i think i just finally got a stroke of luck and got a great deal

10. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

What a lucky day!!!

So today was payday and I called my friend to come look at the gun and check 4 numbers since i now know where to look and he told me he pawned it. no sweat though we rode to the pawn shop and he got it out and went through the background check and the guns is clean and i got it for $120 with case manual and trigger lock+key. I was expecting not to be able to find any 380 ammo in town because it has been super scarce but the second place i tried had 50 count boxes of winchester. my luck is usually never this good. i'm so psyched heres pics

Attached Files:

11. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

sorry about the size of the picture i dont have a program to resize them

12. Force4000

Force4000 New Member

Looks like a good gun especially for the price. I would suggest writing down his drivers license number etc. Maby making a photo copy of the license in case the gun does have history. If the guy is really your friend you can make your own judgment.

13. Car54

Car54 New Member

Go play the lottery now......

14. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

took it to the range and shot about 30 rounds thru it. it performed beautifully. i just ordered the extra finger grip extension for the mag on ebay cant wait til that gets here