Kel-Tec KSG

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by JiroZero713, Jan 25, 2011.

1. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

Anyone excited for this new shotgun? I am....one tube filled with slugs the other filled with buckshot.

14+1 Shotgun in a sawed off sized package for less than 880 with all the standard rails you really need?

I'm sold.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwN8jHSEhCE]YouTube - Kel-Tec Shotgun (KSG)[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi0OWQCkcVc&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Id be down if the price is right and the quality is there.

3. denverdan

denverdan New Member

As long as they fix the problems they've been having with the trigger.

4. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I emailed Kel-Tec a suggestion a few days ago about a system that switches the tubes automatically when one runs dry, while still keeping the manual switching ability mid-magazine. They fowarded the email to the engineering department but haven't got a reply other than them telling me that. We'll see if they like the idea.

What kind of problems were they having with the trigger?

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

looks clumsy to me. also looked like it wa having cycling issues. no replacement for a mossberg590.

6. JiroZero713

I haven't heard anything about the trigger.

And on the 590 comment I'd say it does replace it due to it's compactness. At least for me.

Those Shotguns while good are front heavy. With the way the tubes are oriented it seems the center of gravity might work to your advantage with the new KSG

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  7. JonM

JonM Moderator

it looked like those guys in the vids were having a lot of difficulty cycling it.

8. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

When the guy emptied the first tube, and dropped the hammer on an empty chamber, he then had to cycle a switch to the second tube, and press the release switch to load the round and cock the hammer. That seems a little clumsy. So really it is 2 7-round shotguns with a long period in between tubes. I had some sort of idea that it would switch tubes automatically.

John Browning, where are you? He would have come up with a mechanism that would switch tubes upon the last shell in either tube.

When a higher end manufacturer comes to the table with a double-mag-tube shotgun, it will have that feature.

9. denverdan

denverdan New Member

It appears that if you fire the weapon and keep the trigger pulled as you cycle the slide forward the trigger does not reset.

Kel-Tec KSG Shotgun video « Gun Nuts Media

I don't know that as a fact my self, I haven't yet had a chance to handle the weapon.

10. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I believe that's what everyone thought at first, I know I did. So I figured why not email them and give them an idea of how to do it. Not sure how they missed that being a good feature during the conception of the gun but hopefully they'll incorperate it.

From what I understand the gun isnt due out until the last quarter of this year. So that should be enough time to fix the trigger issue. Not sure if its enough time to incorperate a feature to switch magazine tubes automatically, but we can always hope, right?

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Keltec is known for basic guns that function dependably, not for fit and finish. I didn't think THEY would fix the problem, but someone with a greater reputation for a better looking weapons system would show them how it's done.

Think P3AT; becomes the Ruger LCP

The PF9 becomes the Kahr PM9

It'll happen. Maybe Remington will be the company...

12. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I'm pretty sure that will be fixed by them because i'm pretty sure it can be deemed unsafe. So unless they let that halt production I'm certain they'll fix it before the general public gets a hold of them.

13. JiroZero713

I think you are very mistaken.

All of our Kel-Tecs function reliably and have a perfect Fit and Finish for what they are for us.

14. hnealg

hnealg New Member

As I understand it, the samples they had at the S.H.O.T. show were pre-production units. I would think the guns in the video would be the same. (Also, a manual of arms for this weapon may take a little more ramge time to develop!)
    For me, I'll wait until they've been on the market for a while and any bugs worked out. The concept looks great. I'm hopeful.