Keeping power

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by rocker, Apr 9, 2007.

1. rocker

rocker New Member

Are you only allowed to keep so much gun powder at one time in the USA or does it vary per State?

2. prototype

prototype New Member

Interesting question. I never thought this was a problem. I'll have to check around.

3. dtroyb

dtroyb New Member

The laws have changed in recent years concerning black powder. When I buy it I only get 2 pounds at a time. If you buy more than that the seller has to fill out some sort of BATFE form. So I don't bother with it.
    You can get a dealer's permit of some sort. I don't know what is involved.
    I'm in a Civil War reenacting group and we have a member who buys in bulk but I've never asked about the process.

4. socialnorms

socialnorms New Member

How much do you use every time you shoot?

5. dtroyb

dtroyb New Member

50 grains a pop. It's easy to go through a couple of pounds of Goex during a two day event.

6. The Lone Weasel

The Lone Weasel New Member

What I'd like to find is a carrier that will ship triple Se7en without a ridiculous $20 surcharge. I used to buy black powder for about $5/lb when I was a teenager, now this new "propellant" costs $25/lb plus the fee for transporting it. I live in the Texas Panhandle and ride a bicycle, take a public bus to Plainview to get things I can't get in town or get shipped for a reasonable price, but they won't let me carry triple se7en on the damn bus.

I'm just not gonna pay $55 for a pound of fake blackpowder. Anybody know a legal workaround? Thanks

--

Yours truly,

The Lone Weasel

7. Moe M.

Moe M. New Member

Most Walmarts and gun shops sell BP substitutes, most sell for about $15.00 a pound, reenactors usually buy wholesale under a club lic., there ain't no legal short cuts, ps- Black powder is still the best.

8. dave_in_ga

dave_in_ga New Member

I have seen it (Real BP) recently for as low as 9.00 a pound. Some mail order houses will throw in the shipping and hazmat if you buy 25 pounds. Get your club together for a group purchase. You can't legally resell the powder without a Federal Explosives License, but you can ' distribute " it to club members.

If you go somewhere and buy it, they won't sell you more than 25 pounds.
    Even if you take a car load of people with you, you can't carry
    more than 50 pounds in a private vehicle.

Check Maine Powder House or Upper Missouri Trading.

9. spottedpony

spottedpony New Member

State or local laws may be more restrictive, but BATF regs. limit you to a max. of 50 lbs in your posession at one time. In some cases they do allow a greater amount, but then your looking at special storage locations, specific powder magizines, and a host of other issues.