Keeping a deer overnight

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by wickedins4nity, Oct 4, 2011.

1. wickedins4nity

wickedins4nity New Member

So here is my question as I have never shot a deer at night. What is the best thing to do if I shoot a deer in the evening and the local processor is closed for the night? I would have it field dressed immediately, but then what? It is about 60 degrees at night right now. Thanks for the help!!

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

If it's only getting down to 60 degrees at night, it's going to be very risky. Maybe you should ask the processor what HE would do. The one I use stays open later in the evening during deer season.

3. wickedins4nity

Thanks, I will do that and see what he says. I know a lot of people hang it overnight but I just don't think it's cold enough yet.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If you had to keep it out all night, I would get the hide off ASAP.

5. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

There's a good chance the meat will spoil. Skin the animal if possible. You can cool the meat using 6-8 ten pound bags of ice. Stuff some ice in the cavity and place the rest around the carcass. i carry a big cooler that will hold the animal along with six one gallon milk jugs full of ice when hunting deer and hogs in hot weather.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Most of the 'necks around here let it sit overnight stuffed full of ice & covered over with ice; softens it up a bit they claim.

7. fmj

fmj Active Member

<<is one of those 'necks being refered to....60 aint bad...pack the gut cavity with ice and you'll be fine, just get it in ASAP

8. wickedins4nity

Thanks for all the responses, definitely helpful input. Now I just need to see a deer :rolleyes:

9. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I would fall in the category of red neck. Haha. I cut them up and stuff it in the cooler. Luckily i have a full walk in freezer two miles from my house that i have a key to. :D

A lease i hunted a few years ago we had a large ice cooler like your local gas stations would have. It was sweet. Kept the meat real nice a cold. Not bad for a $100 craigslist grab.

Good luck hunting. Just remember to keep some money handy so you can pick up some bags of ice after you kill one. Pack it full and proceed to finish taking care of the deer the next morning. I wouldn't let it set for too long though.

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Boy, the last people I would listen to when it comes to safe food handling.....is us! ;)

11. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Butcher it yourself.

12. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Is green bologna still good to eat??:eek:
    Maybe if I fry it first??? :rolleyes: LOL
    Ooh yea we know a lot about safe food handling.

13. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

haha. I second that. ;) Hasn't killed us yet. :D

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

now that's funny! but seriously, just pack as much ice as you can and get it to the processor as soon as they open in the morning.

15. hoodweisen

hoodweisen New Member

I throw em in the spring fed creek behind my house for a day or two it definatly tenderizes one

16. powg

powg New Member

deer down ?

rule number one ....always have a cooler and ice on your hunts .... if you dont kill ....a buddy ,might . quarter deer up and ice it down quickly ..... get it to processer next day if possisible . if not ...drain bloody water , re-ice can do this for 4 days max . rule two keep all meat covered in ice in warm weather .

17. wickedins4nity

I think this is a really great tip, I will have to get more ice and a cooler and then I'll have it ready. Thanks!!

18. Hotshot

Hotshot New Member

I have owned a deer processing plant for 12 years and have see all kinds of people that think they know what is correct. Call the local processor, he will probably stay open until you get there with the deer or he may let you put it in his cooler until he opens the next day. I stay until midnight on some busy nights. If you clean it yourself, please WASH it and place it in a cooler with ice-keep the water drained. Keeping a deer in water does not make it tender, just slimy. Last, if you do not have the place to skin, gut and cut up a deer it is a hassle. Just call the processor.

19. adjusterr

adjusterr New Member

I don't know what your check-in requirements are in your state but if you have checked the deer, I would skin it, cut out the backstraps and tenderloin, quarter it and save the neck, put it in a cooler and ice it down. Usually, the rib cage is hardly worth saving. It's worth the effort as a sour deer is a real heartbreaker and 60 degree weather will sour one real fast. If the deer is gut shot or you have a bad field dress, wash the cavity if you can. Good luck with your hunt.

20. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

deer meat

best do this when ya tag one!
    skinning caribou - YouTube
    [ame]http://youtu.be/3WsD67hi2dU[/ame]
    We never ereally had a cooling issue.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011