Keeper PICS (or it didn't happen!)...with SPECs

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by sweeper22, Jul 6, 2013.

1. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I've built about 10 ARs this year. I even managed to continue building throughout the recent fiasco. Most of my builds have been sold, no pictures taken, never to appear on this board (I apologize). But I currently have 3-4 keepers (on the fence with one), 3 of them builds. Members and posters are always demanding pics, so here ya go...

This is my range/varmint/100-300yd 'sniper' in a compact package. Essentially a skill builder for me (I have to confess I'm better at building than shooting).

[​IMG]

Lower: STS Arms cerakoted
    LBK/LPK: PSA/Magpul ACS kit
    Barrel/Upper: BCM 16" 1:8 midlength
    BCG/CH: STS cerakote M16, Ranier Raptor CH
    Optics: Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32
    Significant extras: Hiperfire 'Hipertouch-24' 3lb trigger, RRA cantilever mount
    Weight: 8.5lbs

[​IMG]

DD M4v3 complete rifle, with preferred upgrades
    BCG/CH: DD M16, BCM Gunfighter
    Optics: EOTech XPS2-0
    Significant extras: CTR stock, QMS trigger, Magpul AFG, Crimson Trace (pistol, LOL) light
    Weight: 7lbs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    two pics, because I love this featherweight workhorse!

Lower: PSA
    LBK/LPK: PSA/Magpul CTR kit
    Barrel/Upper: BCM/EAG tactical 14.5" ML upper
    BCG/CH: BCM, BCM ambi gunfighter
    Optics: Vortex Sparc (highly recommended)
    Significant extras: Magpul BADlever, ALG QMS trigger
    Weight: 6.5lbs!!!

[​IMG]

Lower: PSA
    LBK/LPK: PSA/Magpul CTR kit
    Barrel/Upper: PSA 16" carb length
    BCG/CH: STS cerakoted BCG, BCM Gunfighter
    Optics: Vortex Strikefire (x2)
    Significant extras: MI handguard, Troy Tritium front sight
    Weight: 7lbs

[​IMG]

*all claimed weights include all optics and parts, with one unloaded magazine*

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I would hate to have to choose which one(s) to keep.

My favorite is number four, but with the Sparc..

You have great taste in SUR's.

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I envy you sir. Some nice rigs up there.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

#4 is the one I'm on the fence about. Good build, but I'm wondering what does it offer that the others can't provide me? Might sell it. Plus I really prefer midlengths.

My favorite is the ODG PSA/BCM...which I actually have the least money into (go figure) of the four. It's a great rifle, super compact, weighs next to nothing, and so far I love the $195 Sparc (every bit as much as the $500 EOTech).

5. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. Great looking rifles.

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I concur on the ML preference. I also prefer free float tubes that cover the gas block.

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Very nice lil family you have there.....have you considered moving your eotech back onto your upper receiver?

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

It started out there because I considered placing a 3X behind it. Decided against that, but I'm kinda liking it that far forward...so we'll see.

What's the downside in having it forward?

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

The forearm can and will shift depending on how much pressure is exerting upon it, resulting in point of impact shifts. The shifts may be small, probably not noticeable in short range shots, but you'll probably see sizeable shift in long range shots. Its always best to mount your optic on your receivers. If you manage to bend your receiver enought to shift POI, you got bigger problems to deal with!

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I kinda figured that's what you were getting at. The DD quad-rail is pretty rigid and about as fixed as you can hope for, but I realize there's bound to be some play vs essentially none on the upper. I'll probably leave it for now and consider it a yet to be determined process.

That rifle, with all the upgrades that are on it (CH, stock, optics) is nearly a $2K setup. But I'm okay with leaving it influx for the time being, because I would consider the $1300 PSA/BCM to be my go-to SHTF gun. That 14.5" ML is just so light, compact, and I know and trust every part in it.

The other downside to the further forward red-dot might be 'two eyes open' shooting'. But I shoot right handed and am quite left eye dominant. I shoot pistols well with both eyes open, but am a very one-eyed rifle shooter.

Thanks for the clarification/advice. I may apply it in time.

11. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

If I had to pick one, I would pick one of each!! Nice builds.

12. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

All I can say is......... DAMN!!! Those are some nice looking rifles!