Katherine Johnson died

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by W.T. Sherman, Feb 24, 2020.

1. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    kfox75, Pasquanel, BVAL and 3 others like this.
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Incredible woman and an excellent movie. Now I want to watch it again.

3. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Agreed! An unlikely but true American hero!

Pasquanel, W.T. Sherman and Ghost1958 like this.
  4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Thankfully this was a brain that was not wasted. She overcame tremendous barriers to become a true hero.

5. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

An amazing person!
    I had the privilege of personally meeting/greeting Commodore Grace Hopper at the Atlanta airport in the '80s: she was waiting for the same flight. We spoke briefly and it was an honor. A wonderful person!

6. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

She had an honorable career. She was very good at what she did. Calling her a hero is dizzy theatrics, Mrs Johnson herself knew better. That John Glenn singled out her personal calculations of his flight (as opposed to what, trusting her competition? computers?) is likely a fairy tale. I understand the benefits of virtue signaling in real life, but here-- give me a break. Please take it with all due respect, gentlemen.

kfox75, locutus and JRDallas like this.
  7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Mercator, The odds of her even getting past the 8th grade were staggering at that time. She went on to get a college degree which was very near impossible for a black woman at the time. She then went on to get a responsible job at NASA. More odds. She did not lay down and have a pity party crying woe is me. She earned her way and that alone makes her a hero.

8. winds-of-change

All those women working for NASA were incredible. Such a great, uplifting true story.

kfox75, towboater, BVAL and 2 others like this.
  9. KITANDTASK

KITANDTASK Member

WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT HER?

10. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I think she is an American hero who overcame the odds and was never truly honored for her service and loyalty to our great multicultural nation.

RJF22553 and BVAL like this.
  11. Mercator

Overpraising minorities is a form of condescension. Sounds like Mrs Johnson saw it clearly, but who can stop you. Just remember, when everyone is a hero, nobody is.

JRDallas likes this.
  12. KITANDTASK

KITANDTASK Member

WHAT DID SHE DO THAT WAS A SERVICE?

Mercator likes this.
  13. winds-of-change

I work in the medical field. I consider my job a service.

kfox75 likes this.
  14. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I replied to a question it was and is MO and there is nothing condescending about what I said.

Merc, if you don't have anything nice to say why don't you put a sock in it instead of lurking in the background making snide remarks.

Perhaps you're the one with race issues.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    RJF22553 likes this.
  15. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

she did her job well and God Bless her for that.
    I've known "REAL heros" on the field of battle who got NO recognition for it!! No medals...because the company clerk was too overwhelmed to type them up on an old smith corona manual typewriter, or somebody didn't witness their act of heroism.
    A lot of people did there jobs.
    Hero is a very much OVER used word.
    I've had people tell me I'm a hero because I have a Purple Heart with 2 oak leaf clusters (3 Purple Hearts to you civilians). I tell them, NO, I had the misfortune of getting fragments from RPG's twice and a hand grenade once! Something I'd gladly pass on.
    I did my job!!

winds-of-change and ellis36 like this.
  16. winds-of-change

It is absolutely true the astronauts trusted the ‘human calculators’ more than the computers in the 1960’s. Do you know how primitive and prone to malfunctions computers were in the 60’s? Katherine Johnson Goby was an extremely intelligent woman who was nurtured along by her Mother, her teachers, her husband and her own confidence. She was truly a national treasure. Along with several other women who worked with her who were incredible engineers and computer programmers.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    kfox75 and W.T. Sherman like this.
  17. Mercator

That's fine. You can consider it a calling, a mission, all the good things. Service is government employment with a rank and a chain of command. You are not a uniformed member of any service, nor was Mrs Johnson.

What Pasquanel wrote (and did not edit long enough) is a another handy example of devalued meaning. When everyone is a racist, nobody is.

18. winds-of-change

I understand you are referring to ‘service to one’s country’. But there are other careers, jobs, professions, that can be considered ‘service’. Doctors, nurses, policemen, firemen, clergy, soup kitchens, homeless shelters.

kfox75 and W.T. Sherman like this.
  19. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Either way, she was awesome.

RJF22553 and W.T. Sherman like this.
  20. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

She grew up in an era where women - particularly black women - were considered sub-standard and not intelligent. She proved them - and us - wrong, and through her calculations contributed in saving our Apollo-13 crew members. No, she wasn't out there in a capsule in dire trouble, wasn't under fire, but her MANUAL calculations saved them and showed all who would honestly recognize them a masterful mind that broke some minds from a both misogynist and racist mindset. And she did it quietly as she considered it her job - just like our service members, law enforcement and firefighters do.

IMHO, she was more significant the Rosa Parks and others: all important.

RKtullahoma and W.T. Sherman like this.