Kansas Wheat Harvest 2012

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by W. C. Quantrill, Jul 7, 2012.

1. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

I was there, driving the semi.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpubBN9Mufg&feature=share[/ame]

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

OMG that looks sooooo boring!!! :eek: It's like looking into the pit of oblivion, there is no end in sight :(

pretty cool, thanks to all those farmers and workers who toil away so I can make triple stack PB&J's on multigrain bread :D

3. W. C. Quantrill

12 days of this, every one over 100 degrees out there. Every time I pulled that white truck out of the field, I was taking $7500 worth of grain to market. When the grain was sold, it did not pay for the fertilizer, fuel, and chemicals to raise and harvest this crop. Each of those green combines cost almost $200,000. It took 2 days to cut this field. but then, it was a mile long and almost a mile wide.

Its a go big or go home business.

4. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

Several of my friends have worked the wheat harvest..... for ONE summer.

5. W. C. Quantrill

Every time you go to the store and pick up a loaf of bread, now you know that there was a farmer somewhere that produced the wheat that made the flour that made the bread.

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

and all this time I thought it was the Wonderbread man :p :rolleyes:

7. W. C. Quantrill

Farming is like flying an airplane, hours and hours of painful boredom, interrupted by moments of sheer terror.

8. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Forgive my friend with the sharp tongue. If when we have a hicup in the supply chain, he can write the wonderbread man for something to put in his empty stomach. Thanks to the farmers, to the checkers who make our food easier to obtain than anytime in world history. We really have it better than we deserve. It will probably end.

9. W. C. Quantrill

He was just makin a joke. No harm no foul. It is really amazing how many people think that the food is made in the back of the store. Dont kill animals, go buy your meat at the store where no animals were hurt.:D

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Duh, meat comes from the meat tree ... everyone knows that :rolleyes:

:D

11. W. C. Quantrill

Nooooo,,,it vas a Ham-bush.......

12. CourtJester

CourtJester Active Member

Did they put anything else in after the wheat? A lot of folks here in southern Michigan have pivots so it's not too bad but a lot of others are losing their ass because it's too dry to double crop, or even keep their corn alive.

13. W. C. Quantrill

90 days since the last rain, 30 some days of over 100 degrees, you can drop a crescent wrench in the cracks in the ground, weeds are not even coming up, trees are dying. Like the last guy said, its so dry, that the last wildfire flagged down a fireman and asked him for a drink of water.

Early corn is about knee hi and a lot of guys are just chopping it. Milo is about ankle hi, what beans that were planted early and sprouted burned up. There wont be any fall harvest in this area.

14. CourtJester

15. W. C. Quantrill

I think grain prices are going to get high this fall, cause there wont be as much as they thought that there would be.

16. CourtJester

Just about all of the prices will be higher than expected at the start of the season

17. W. C. Quantrill

Wheats about $6 here now. I'm going to hang on to mine for a bit and see if it goes up a couple bucks!!!!

18. tjacobson

tjacobson Member

Thanks to all farmers and farm hands. If you haven't done it, you have no idea of the work load, stress, danger, endless days and nights. It turns you into an engineer, welder, mechanic, accountant, and a Man (or Woman). Having trouble with your kid? Put him to work on a farm for one summer... He'll come home one day and be a young man, his jeans will be pulled up right with no underwear showing, his hat strait but slightly worn, and he will respect what he spends his money on. Hell, he might even offer to help with the bills!

19. W. C. Quantrill

Thank you, TJ. Those are strong words of praise for those who well deserve it. We have a local branch of Teen Challenge here. We put those youth to work on the farms here. They get the foolishness out of their minds in a hurry. 16 hour days in 100 degree heat takes the piiss and vinegar out of them, and sweats the alcohol and drugs out of them. They learn work ethic, and they develop at least a shallow understanding of the skills you mentioned. They work along side myself and a couple other fellows who care about them and their recovery. For most of them, that is something that they have never had before.

20. fmj

fmj New Member

shoooot...growing up on the farm i can tell you it IS tough work...but you still have time to drink beer! GOTTA drink beer! NOTHING cuts the dust after a long day n the field like an ICE cold beer!!

Now, for the dumbass punks from the city that dont know any better, i can see it being a tough row to hoe!