Kahr PM9 vs Kel-Tec PF9

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ScottA, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Yes. You get what you pay for.

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. No. The Kel-Tec is a bargain, but not cheap.

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. For crying out loud... go shoot them yourself.

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

So what do you think? Is the PM9 worth twice as much as the PF9? For those of you with experience, what are the two like?

2. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Scott, while my vote is for the Kel-Tec, the Kahr PM-9 is significantly smaller than the Kel-Tec PF-9. The Kel-Tec PF-9 is about the same size as the Kahr CW-9. I think you'll find the PM-9 is close in size to a Rohrbaugh, and costs half as much:D

3. ScottA

Hey, there you go! That's the way I'll explain it to my wife. "But honey, I saved $600 by not getting the Rohrbaugh."

Can I move in with anyone after I try that. :eek:

Size will matter. I'm looking for a pocket 9.

4. Viking

Viking Active Member

MK 40 is on my wish list, all Kahrs are spendy but worth the money. Everyone I've looked at, including poly framed models were quality build.

5. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

no experience with the Kahr, but I own the pf9. Its a good gun, and small. I'm a small guy, and it disappears on my body.

6. DrJason

DrJason New Member

I haven't shot the Kel-tec but I do own the Kahr, absolutely love it, easy to conceal, I've put close to 1000 rds thru her without a hickup.....I would highly recommend it

7. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

The price is the hardest thing for me to get over for the Kahr PM9. If I had the extra money I would more then likely get one. But I would look at what other options are out there.

8. ScottA

The options seem pretty slim for a pocket 9. Any one else have suggestions of what would fit?

9. notamoocher

notamoocher New Member

I have the kel-tec

Great gun, works everytime, a lot of holsters, lights and lazers are now available for them. I suggest buying the Kel-Tec and several boxes of ammo with the savings.

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I owned a PM9 for a long time.

[​IMG]

I think it is worth every dollar. But I am someone who would rather save a little longer and get a great gun, than buy a less expensive one and be still drooling for that nicer gun.

I've shot the PF9, too. It gets the job done, but the PM9 just feels like quality all over. And the recoil is easy.

11. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

It all boils down to what you yourself want. If you want to spend the extra money then get the Kahr. I would love to get one. The Kel-Tec and the Khar are both great guns. I have not heard of to many people complaining about either one of them.
    For my pocket/ankle carry I use a Taurus Model 85SSUL in .38 Special.

12. Leathermarshmallow

Leathermarshmallow New Member

I carry the PF9 on a daily basis. My son carries a Kahr. They are both great little guns. My PF9 is not the most comfortable to shoot. It is like having a firecracker going off in your hand. But I have learned to shoot it well and it has never missed a beat. I trust it 100%. AND you can get it for far less than the Kahr.

13. slipy120

slipy120 New Member

I also own and carry a PF-9 daily and I like it very much. It is easy to conceal and has never failed me. Your not going to drive nails from 25 yards but it does the job at normal defense distances.

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Scott- I'd love to hear your thoughts once you reach a decision. My next purchase will probably be a spring/summer carry, and these are two guns I'm looking at. Basically, it's LCP, PF9, or PM9. Might give the G26 a look as well.

The other option I'm seriously considering (it might actually be the favorite) is the soon to be released Sig P290. Not crazy about being a crash test dummy, but they should be hitting the shelves in the next few weeks. MSRP is said to be $550 for one with night sights. I'd like to get a look at these. I believe they're single stack 6+1's.

And now, add the Ruger LC9 to the list of candidates. Apparently the whole pocket 9mm thing is trending in the right direction, with the 380 market getting flooded.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  15. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

You got me all-aflutter with mention of a new pistol by Ruger, the LC9. This is the first I've heard of it.

But it is taller and longer than a PM9 (after 3 minutes of quick research), so I've already discounted it. The LCP's main benefit is its tiny size. That's the PM9's benefit, too, being just a little larger with the trade being a better caliber.

16. ScottA

Birthday is in two weeks. So I'll have word for you by then.

17. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I do like a small .40, but I still have a CZ Rami steel frame in .40 in my store showcase that I like. A big plus is the double stack mag which gives you an 8+1 capacity.

18. Viking

Viking Active Member

I've handled a CZ Rami like yours, it felt good in my hands, had a quality feel to it. Low capacity magazines like in Kahr and AMT II Backup .40 S&W leave me wanting but it's sort of the price one pays for sub-compact pistols. Then again being that they are quite concealable I could carry two, yeah right like I can afford that:(.

19. ScottA

I got a chance this past weekend to play some more with the Kahr. I finally had to come to the conclusion I was looking for two guns.

As impressive as the Kahr was, I knew handling it that even its smallish size and weight for a 9mm would be too heavy to insure I would carry it consistently. The Kel-Tec is essentially the same size and weight as well. Therefore, I ordered a S&W Bodyguard 380 today. It's a compromise, but I'd rather be sure to have a pistol I know will always be in my pocket rather than one at home.

Now on to the 9. I'll have to see how the birthday proceeds go, but I've asked a friend who might have a good lead on a Springfield EMP 9.

20. proscene

proscene New Member

K vs. K

I've owned both the Keltec PF9 and the Kahr PM9. The keltec was a gun I really wanted to love but there were just too many issues:
    Firing Pin issue
    Mag release problem
    sloppy fit n finish
    Extractor failed twice.

The Kahr PM9 . . . . NADA issues.
    It costs more but for me it was worth the dependability. It always works!