Kahr pistols

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Johnny, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Has anyone ever had a chance to shoot a Kahr? Are these reliable and accurate / worth the price?

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Kahr

These little pistols are excellent in quality and relibability and especially suited for people with small hands. The double action only pull is a bit hefty however. For my money,considering I have large hands,I LOVe my para ordnance C6LDA. It has a dream of a trigger pull-the smoothest,lightest pull available from ANY manufacturer,3"barrel,and has NEVER malfunctioned EVER in any way with any ammo I've put thru it!!! I like my para pistols so much I'm a stocking dealer. I have shot a bunch of them and all have been outstanding.

3. hideit

hideit New Member

that's great to hear
    i rather put a kahr in my pocket instead of a keltec
    can't wait to see the pm45 - guess ill have to

4. Chuck

Chuck New Member

So would I but price is a consideration. Kahr certainly doesn't give their products away.

5. Varro

Varro New Member

A lousy review on the PM9 in the November issue of HANDGUNS... :(

6. HadEmAll

HadEmAll New Member

Kahr initially made their name with their K series - steel frames. Various models of compact .40 and 9mm. That's what put them on the map. Almost never heard a complaint about them. I have a K40 that I've had for years. It has fired every round I've run through it without fail. 180, 165, 155, and 135 grain. Sweet, soft trigger.

I don't see many K series around at gun shows these days, mostly the P series - polymer frames.

7. biped

biped New Member

KP45 Kahr striker fired pistol w/out trigger

Ya. It happened last summer. I'm reluctant to talk about it because it was really dumb. This .45 went off about 6 inches from my head and put a hole in the ceiling of my office. Old Marine Corps saying "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". Well, believe it or not, I like this pistol. I live and work on a ranch. I was on the receiving end of a long and boring telephone conversation with one of my employees. I carry the Kahr daily. I got it out and, one handed, began working the slide back about an inch from the muzzle. I let it slap forward a few times. Finger not on trigger. Boom! Empty didn't eject. I've only revealed this recently to friends and one said I should load a empty "primer only" round to see if I can duplicate it. I may do that but thought I'd go online to see if anybody had similar experience with striker fired pistols.

8. Gunnutz13

Gunnutz13 New Member

Similar experience

A newbie comes to me asking opinions of differnet makes and models...we go to a few area gun shops...he handles...he looks...he asks alot of questions...and he settles on a Taurus Millenium...in 9mm which is a striker fired weapon. He works as a bouncer in a go-go bar and feels that he can get to a fanny pack ( yea...I know...but that's what he wanted to do ) faster than a concealed holster...bar didn't encourage or discourage carry, and he had a brand new CCW permit before he even thought, bought or handled a gun.
    One day, not too long after the purchase, I walk in to see him and see if he had gotten a chance to fire it at a range. He says no...but would like me to show him how to field strip it in the back room. He goes into the DJ booth to retrieve the fanny pack, and in the meantime, I turn my attention to the barmaid to grab a brew. The next thing I hear is a loud bang, and I immediately duck and turn towards the booth...I see him run out the booth towards the mens room...now even 15 feet away...holding his one ear...and the DJ still looking around saying WTF ?!

I run to the booth to secure the weapon, which was lying ay the DJ's feet..still smokin'...drop the mag...clear the stovepipe jam... rack the slide again to make sure another round wasn't in the chamber...asked the DJ if he was hit ( NO ) and went to the men's room to see to my friend, thinking he was hit. Luckily, he wasn't...he ran because he panicked. Then he tells me what happened. He had grabbed the fanny pack and turned in one motion...the weight of the gun had shifted towards the end where the zipper was partially opened...and the gun slipped out and hit the floor of the booth landing on the striker and causing the chambered round to fire. Lucky for all... him...the DJ...ME...and the rest of the patrons, the bullet went into the back of the booth...into drywall which contained a brick chimmey that stopped the round dead. I actually took my knife and popped it out of the drywall 10 minutes later. If it had gone ANYWHERE else, someone, including me standing maybe eight feet away, would have been hit. Needless to say...he gave up on the whole CCW thing, sold the weapon...and never touched another firearm that I know of until him and his girl moved to another state. And that is my striker firing system story...:cool:

9. biped

biped New Member

Striker fired mishaps

Bummer about things going bang when they're not supposed to. I'm not giving up on striker fired guns yet. It seems most of the new polymer striker fired hi-caps like S&W and Springfield are pretty reliable and good fighting pistols. I'm still a 1911 guy but carry the Kahr KP45 because of the obvious, smaller/lighter/shoots good. Seems I'm caught in them middle.

10. stalkingbear

kahr vs para

It's amazing that people never listen to me when I attempt to tell them about products that perform above the rest of the pack it ain't even funny. Para ordnance Lda series is the best of both worlds. They come in tiny 6 shot 3" barreled versions,all the way up to full size in both steel frame and alloy framed models. Extremely reliable 1911 style but with the smoothest, lightest,SAFE,hammer fired DAO trigger action on the market-5.5-6#.
    Anyone considering a ccw owes it to themselves to at least check them out.

11. henryk

henryk New Member

Looking good for anyone having the $1100 buring a hole in their pocket. That would be a consideration for some folks I am sure. :)

12. stalkingbear

para

In the first place,you CAN'T put a price on your life. Secondly,paras run from 675 to 850 for most models new. We ALL blow more money than that every year,and protection like that's worth every penny. I can tell you've never fired 1 but you owe it to yourself to-even if only to TRY to prove me wrong!!

13. stalkingbear

kahr vs para

When you compare the prices,there's not much difference between the two.

14. henryk

henryk New Member

Whoa! Slow down a bit! You'll strain something. lol Not trying to prove you wrong on anything. :)

The Para I looked at was $1099. ($1100 rounded off) A lot of money for a lot of people. I can well afford it but I know many people that can't. Some gun is probably better than no gun. People buy what they can afford at the time of purchase and can upgrade later when they can. Nothing wrong with that.

Putting "a price on your life" is something a gun salesman uses to get you to spend more money than you can afford. Doesn't work with me. My two carry weapons have never hiccupped in all the range firing I have done with them. Never had to use them off range and hope to never have to in the future.

15. biped

biped New Member

Para LDA & Kahr n 45 acp

You are preaching to the choir on that issue. I've got both. The edge for everyday carry goes to the Kahr KP45. My original 3" Para LDA wouldn't run consistently and I traded it for the 3 & 1/2" Para LDA. I've put over 6,000 rounds through it and it is my all time favorite handgun. I've whacked javalina with it a couple of times. I eventually sent it to BarSto and had them install a barrel. The heavier barrel eats recoil assemblies after about 450 rounds. Next to your body in a IWB rig the perspiration eats on the finish of the Para pistol. The Karh isn't nearly so nice to look at but polymer is impervious to sweat and the gun shoots good and it is light weight and smaller than the Para. I've got 3 other Para single action hicap .45's that I like a lot. P-14-45 is all steel, P-13-45 is all steel, and an alloy made from a frame kit in commander size.

16. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Para vs STI & KIMBER

I have owned three Paras, a P14 LDA, a P14 SS and a P-10 (like the Warthog)
    One day while I had a Para apart I measured the distance between the slide rails, front& back- Funny but I got two different numbers! That isn't how an expensive gun should be made! After I got rid of my Para's I ponied up the almost $2,000 and bought an STI Edge 2011- That is a real gun! 15 round magazines and I can really hit what I'm aiming for with it, after that I bought a Kimber Ultra Ten II, the Kimber cost $550, has a 3" barrel and holds ten rounds. Like BIPOD said, the finish doesn't get rusty on the Kimber either like it did every time I put the Para P-10 in my pocket!
    I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who like their Para's, I have certainly heard plenty of bad stuff about Kimber, just never have experienced any. I don't believe I have ever heard anything bad about STI (except the price!)
    I sell guns and I have heard plenty of good things about the Rock Island Armory 1911's, and from guys who will buy three and four of them. From my experience with 1911's it really wasn't the amount of money spent that made it a great gun, it was getting a well-made one, and I think that will take luck or experience!:D

17. stogie25

stogie25 New Member

I have a Kahr K9. I don't carry it very often, but when I do I carry it in my pocket with a pocket holster because it is very small. If I carry any pistol in my pocket without a manual safety I don't keep a round in the pipe (just a little too close to the family jewels and not that hard to rack after I draw it).

After about three years with it I will say it is a very nice weapon that has never given me any problems. Absolutely no accidental discharges. The only way I can get it to jam is with Wolf ammunition (but that jams all my 9mm's). It is accurate for it's size, and a pleasure to shoot.

What I don't like about it is dissassembly. It requires a hammer and a punch that I rigged up with tape on the end to get the lock out for dissassembly as well as a wooden spacer that I made to hold the slide open the correct amount to get the lock out. Even the factory instructions said to use a hammer. Generally I am not a fan of using a hammer on my guns.

18. NavyMan

NavyMan New Member

I like my PM9 pretty well. Has been very dependable. Small, light and a good defense cal.

Down side I think they cost too much, and they kick like hell. I might trade it off on a Walther PPS. Or not.

19. StickbowmanMI

StickbowmanMI New Member

Kahr Firearms

The Kahr pistol is a great Carry firearm. I own several of them that are 9MMs and they are easy to conceal and easy to use. I like that they are double action only with no safety to disengage when you may be in a tight situation. Check out their web site and I am sure that you will find one that suits your purpose. :)

20. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

I'm with the Bear on this one. If your "perfect carry" (And it's a different firearm for everyone) happens to be upwards of $1000, know that it's money well spent. Reliability is only one aspect of what you look for in a carry gun. A big one, but there are still other considerations, and if I'm trusting my life to a gun, it's gonna be the one I can use best.