Kahr for carry

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Gojubrian, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I've been looking at a Kahr for concealed carry. I've been carrying a xd40 subcompact iwb and that is becoming a pain in the butt. I have a good quality holster and belt, it's just too thick like a brick.

I'd like to stick to a 40 and the emp is out of my price range, so.... CW40, PM 40, or P40? All are thinner and lighter than the xd.

Thanks for any help or pithy comments. :)

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I'm in exactly the same boat you're in and I decided on the Kahr PM40. It has the most firepower available in the same basic size & weight of a .380. You can get them new for about 600-650. You'll also be able to use the same ammo in both of your guns if you decide to get a .40. The PM40 is polymer frame and lighter than the MK40 which is all steel. I'm currently saving my pennies toward it.

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Thanks Bear! How about the P40? Seems a little more shooter friendly? 1/2" bigger length and height.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The reason I chose a PM40 personally is because it'll be replacing my LCP .380 in my pocket. The P40 or PM45 may be a better choice for you.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I see, just slip it in the ol pocket. Thanks Bear!

6. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I've never handled any of the Kahr 40s but today I was picking up my P380 and I saw the PM40 in the counter and I almost confused it for the PM9.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I see the CW and PW have different barrel rifling, and the P' are made from better materials. I'm saving my pennies too and may try to sell the xd40sc to help fund it.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I can tell you first hand that shooting the PM40 with hot defense ammo is not a lot of fun. All .40s are snappy and in that tiny platform it's brutal. (Perhaps I'm a wuss). I've also owned a P40 (as well as a CW40) and they are much easier on your hand.

Overall, Kahr makes great concealed carry guns though...

9. orangello

orangello New Member

I too have lusted after a Moonie mini pistol. I think i caught the bug when a buddy showed me a lil PM40 he was cleaning for a friend. I'm pretty sure i've taken dumps bigger than that lil pistol. It had really odd sights, though.

I hope to pick up a CW9 at some point.

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I imagine it would be rough. The P40 is still plenty small enough for iwb and I think I can get a grip on it. I still need to check them out in person. I should be up and around by the end if the week and able to do so.

11. DrJason

DrJason New Member

I believe the PM40 and PM9 are almost the same size.

I can't speak about the PM40 but have the PM9 and haven't had a single issue with it, its a great little "pocket" gun. Very easy to conceal.

12. Samples.32

Samples.32 New Member

I JUST got rid of the p 40 GREAT fun. I loved shooting it. People with bigger hands complain it is too snappy, but I just loved it. The only reason I traded it was because I had my eye on something else, but I will be getting another soon.

13. Hollander

Hollander New Member

Go to the Kahr Arms website and you can compare all of their guns side by side in terms of specs. I found it really helped with my research and selection. I have the PM9 and the P380. I traded my MK9 towards and EMP .40. I really would like to get the MK40 since I owb carry and with my good holsters the weight is really not noticeable. I am debating between keeping my PPS 40 or selling it and getting the MK40. Decisions, decisions.

14. Firechiefplayer

Firechiefplayer New Member

I have a Kahr CW40 and it is a great handgun. I purchased it from Buds for $366.00, The price was right the size was right and it shoots great right out of the box. My daughter loves shooting the Kahr over my Sig, Glock, S&W and Desert Eagle. Good luck and I do not think you can go wrong with the CW40.

15. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

CW9 works for me.

16. Stormy209

Stormy209 New Member

I have a cw40, and I love it. Shoots well and carries IWB well.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

17. SgtSam

SgtSam New Member

I've got a Kahr CW9. Don't for a second think that the CW series are poor quality, they definitely are not. Kahr don't make crap!!!!

They made some changes to lower the price over the P9. Let's be fair and state that some of the parts are less expensive in the CW vs the same parts in the P9. NOT CHEAP! As for the barrels, the CW9 uses the old fashioned ballard style rifling, rifling that has been used for many many years, still is, and it works just fine. The P9 uses polygonal rifling, a newer process that works better, but costs a lot more. The CW9 is a very fine little pistol, the price not withstanding.

The CW40 is just a little more powerful version of the CW9, and just a little larger, not much!

I really like mine! Especially since my wife took my Ruger SR9C.:D

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I have both a cm9 and a cw9 both very nice pistols. No issues with ether. Price around here is 410 for the cw40 at local gunshop. Hard to compair the epm with a plastic framed kahr as there a big weight difference that would make the emp a bit easier to control but with extra weight, height, width and lenght to deal with. Not much maybe but it does add up.