Kahr CM9.

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by afi1, Aug 30, 2011.

1. afi1

afi1 New Member

About a week or so ago my wife and I went out to a few gun stores to try on some new guns. She has been carrying a Sig Sauer P238 in her purse. I'm a big fan of that little gun, however the .380 is not an inspiring defense round. I'm not a fan of the 1911 style manual of arms in a carry gun either. I prefer simple guns, which is why my carry guns are Glocks, or my LCR. She tried out the Glock 26, S&W M&P9C, Walther PPS, Kel Tec PF-9 and Kahr PM9 to name a few. She's leaning more toward single stack 9mms, because she wants to carry IWB after our daughter is born (she's 9 months pregnant). She really liked the Kahr PM9. A friend of mine carries a Kahr PM40 as his backup, and I've put a good many rounds through it. It's a handfull, but I figured the 9mm would be a nice balance.

Today, after shooting 100rds through my duty gun (Glock 21) at the open range, I went to the gun store. They had a new Kahr CM9 on the shelf. I look at it, and the tag says $565. I ask the guy what he can do on price, and he says $410. So I call the wife up and have her bring her Sig up to the store for a trade in. I get $350 for the sig, and 4 free range passes. I take the gun straight out of the box, no cleaning, no lube, no nothing. I fired 100rds of Winchester white box 115gr FMJ, 100rds of PMC 115gr FMJ, and 10rds Winchester 125gr +P PDX1 JHP. There were no malfunctions at all. I expected there to be some, because Kahr's are knows to need a good brake-in period. The gun was run hot too, so hot I burnt my support hand thumb on it several times, and eventually had to bring it down against the frame. The gun also shot fantastic. I couldn't be more impressed with it. It handled well, even with the +P carry ammo. The sights are fast, and the trigger is amazing.

The lower left target was the first 15rds through the gun at 5 yards. Dissregard the lower right, it's got some .45 and .22lr in it. The center target is well over 100rds from 7 yards, rapid fire. The top left is 7 yards fairly rapid. The top right is 10rds of carry ammo rapid fire.

Attached Files:

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Looks like she's a winner to me ;).

3. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Amazing deal and great shooting!. She looks like a keeper.

4. Rarity

Rarity New Member

The Kahr looks great. Definitely is a keeper.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

The CW and CM series here go for 409 for the 9mm and 420 for the 40 and 45 so you got a good deal. Now take that nice pistol a[part includeing the mags and give a cleaning a lub job. You have great CC pistol. I carry one

6. mark1616

mark1616 New Member

I have a CM9 on the way. I can't wait to get it to that range. Good shooting!

7. crinko

crinko New Member

I just bought a kahr cm9 a few weeks ago and was having a few problems with it so I had to send it off to kahr. I got the little guy back and ran 300 flawless rounds through it so hopefully soon I can carry it, I just personally want to put about another 150 flawless rounds through it and then it will go everywhere with me ;)

8. afi1

afi1 New Member

Ran another hundred rounds of PMC FMJ through it today. 50 head shots at 7 yards, and 50 center mass shots at 15 yards, all fast fire.

Attached Files:

9. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Damn, pretty impressive groupings at that range!

10. afi1

afi1 New Member

It's all combat style shooting, but even so, I still out-shot my carry G23.

11. fmj

fmj New Member

Are those Khars made/ manufactured in USA??

We just pulled the trigger on the Kel Tec PF-9 for the wifey. (her call against my advice...she just HAD to have a dainty little carry piece...she has since learned the recoil is a bit stiff for her:rolleyes:) Couldnt argue with $300 tax/title/license/out the door. I am kinda diggin on the little piece...but it aint no replacement for my 1911;)

12. afi1

afi1 New Member

The Kel-Tec, post recall, is a good gun, from my experience. The trigger sucks, and the false reset click, which will drop the hammer from half cock and lite strike the primer is a no-go for me. Recoil is sharp in the PF-9, and I have to say the Kahr does a better job with it's grip design/shape of mitigating the recoil. The mag release is better, too. If she trains to a level of proficiency with it, the Kel-Tec is a very viable defensive tool, in a credible caliber.

13. fmj

fmj New Member

at this point we like the trigger. we have found to better than others we have tried. (MUCH better than the S&W body guard) Being a fully made in america gun was the deal maker.

Not sure what your getting at with the "false reset click". Please explain in further detail.

14. afi1

afi1 New Member

After the shot breaks, when releasing the trigger, you feel a click. On a Glock, or most other pistols, from this point you would press again. If you do so with the PF-9, the hammer drops from about half cock, light striking the primer. And yes, the trigger is much better than the S&W Bodyguard. As far as being made in America, that can be hit and miss in reference to quality. There is a lot of stuff made here that sucks.

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

My buddy just picked up a CM9 and I get wait to get to the range with him. My primary summer carry piece is a PM9 which I love. I'm sure the slightly larger CM9 will handle like a dream.

TACK

16. afi1

afi1 New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's the same size.

17. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Nice shooting! Thanks for sharing the range report.

18. fmj

fmj New Member

Thanks for clarifying that!

Not something i have noticed with this lil rig. That being said, you can bet yer arse i will watching (feeling actually) closely next time out!

I understand quality can be hit or miss. But i do my best to support the home team when at all possible. If its junk, i say so and spew from the highest mountain tops....if its good i do the same.

To this point the Kel Tec PF-9 i dig...but shes still new and i am still shaking her down.

19. afi1

afi1 New Member

I'm right there with you brother. There are just some guys who only buy American... Mostly in reference to cars/trucks, when most are made in Mexico and Canada. If there is a good product made in America, I'll run it.

20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Your correct, I meant to say that he picked up a CW9, which is slightly larger.

TACK