Kahr cm or pm?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 7mmstw, Mar 16, 2013.

1. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

I don't see where the advantages of the pm are worth the extra $200. Any thoughts? I need a hot weather carry gun and I don't 100% trust my .380

2. 1911love

1911love New Member

They are way better put together. You will forget that $200 a year from now, you will remember quality for a lifetime. I had a K40 and was pleased. I sold it only bc it was too heavy for EDC in Florida. Now I EDC a Glock 19 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB. GTG with cargo shorts and a tee.

3. bradford027

bradford027 New Member

Ive never handled the pm but ive had zero issues with my cm9. Probably around 1000 rds through it at this point. Surprisingly accurate pistol for its size as well. As i understand it the only differences between the two is different rifling and cheaper roll marks. Wasnt worth the $200 to me but to each his own.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Trigger feels pretty much the same to me. When I purchased my PM9, that was the biggest quality I liked about the gun. So why the PM9 rather than the CM9? Because I had the budget for it. I'm sure the CM9 will serve just as well.

And the PM9 comes with an additional 7 round mag.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Buy what your wallet can stand.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a CM9. Great gun. I carry it everyday. Shoots straight, and goes bang every time. It even looks nice. I dont ask for more than that out of a carry gun.

7. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

The CM has polygonal rifling, better serrations and sights, and overall better fit and finish than the PM. The PM also has several stamped parts(the slide release, for example) while the CM has the machined parts. They're both fine guns. It all really depends on the price you're willing to spend.

8. ScottA

Got that backwards.

9. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

The rifling is a moot point. It's a 3 inch barrel. On a 6" long slide with a long sight radius I can see it, there is only so much accuracy you can attain out of a micro compact pistol. I don't like MIM parts either but I don't see how those parts would Ed up a failure to feed/chamber/fire. I've heard the trigger is better on the pm vs the cm but that's unconfirmed. Set of a kahr, I know they are great pistols,(own a cw9) but if $649 vs $400 used online I want to know for sure if the extra is worth it, I like the drift sights and extra mag on the pm but I can cut a front dovetail, and buy another mag. Not trying to be an *** but $200 is another 8 hours of work or 8lbs of varget (if I could find it).

10. RustyShackleford101

Damn it. I have always , ALWAYS done that. My mistake.

11. RustyShackleford101

Damn it, you're right. I have never, EVER gotten that right. You shoulda seen me when I got into shooting Glocks, it took me about a year to get the numbers straight.

12. RustyShackleford101

Polygonal rifling does have some other advantages, though. Those would be, an increase in average muzzle vel., less bullet deformation, longer barrel life, and less fouling. Again these are somewhat moot points for a carry gun. It all depends.

13. ScottA

Kind of like Mercedes model numbers.

14. RustyShackleford101

Exactly, there's just something about model numbers!

15. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

I have a PM40. Fit and finish is superb. It is a snappy little pistol. I use it for a BUG only. I also have it listed in the classified section of the forum. I originally bought it for a gift for my grandson, but he didn't like the recoil. He asked me for a Ruger LC9 instead and enjoys it better.

I am a large person (300+) with large hands and have trouble shooting it with any accuracy beyond 7 yards. I generally joke that the safest place on the firing range is standing in front of my target. I installed Laserlyte sights on it to help with target acquisition and they do help remarkably well. Using a rest I can hold about 5" w/o the laser and about 3" with it. Offhand about 6" and 4" respectively. All at 7 yards. Combat accuracy.

The trigger is smooth and 7-8 lbs. All in all I find that it's a high quality pistol, but would not recommend it as a first pistol for a new shooter.

16. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Useless money wasted on something that's not a competition gun. Octagonal barrel is pointless, thicker slide is opposite of what you want in a carry gun and 200 worth of ammo should never be underestimated!

17. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

Your arrogant stupid remarks show a great lack of knowledge of what you are talking about both here and the 40 cal. thread. You sound like a dumb teenager trying to force his way into an adult conversation with nothing to contribute except smart-*** remarks.

18. RustyShackleford101

You made me feel sad :(. I guess I'll go eat some ice cream...

19. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I'm short in response for sure. But it's easy to see that this is merely one man's opinion on the subject based, of course, on his value on things.

I don't value a polygonal barrel for a self defense gun, it's a useless addition. Same with a thicker slide with nicer etching, means absolutely nothing to me. Other than those I see no differences. They're both built well enough to last a lifetime, both great guns, so for me 200 bones is the biggest factor possible in deciding and would be an absolute waste of mine to get the PM.

Sorry if you feel that a poor assessment man, feel free to rebut and inform of something I may be missing. I think we'd all appreciate it.