Ka-Bar?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by hogger129, Aug 20, 2009.

1. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

Was looking at a Ka-Bar USMC fixed-blade knife. Wondering if they are any good? If not, what are some other suggestions of fixed-blade knives?

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

What will be the knife's main function and how much research have you done on its specks? Have you actully held this knife in your hand or the one you are thinking about purchasing?

KA-BAR KNIVES, KABAR TRADITIONAL USMC KNIVES

Jack...........

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

That first one is damn close to a machete in my book Dunner. Yes I like SOG knives also. :)

Jack

5. OC357

OC357 New Member

I have the original USMC K-Bar made in Olean NY. It is a nice knife.

OC

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It depends on your budget. The K-bar's, Ontario, Camillus lines are similar. Good knives at reasonable prices. Cold Steel and SOG are definately steps up in quality and price.

7. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

It's an OK knife for the price, but there are better choices out there. If you get one of the USMC knives, go for the plastic sheath. Ka-Bar's leather sheaths are paper thin and rather crappy for actual use.

The factory edge leaves a lot to be desired, but the steel they use is easy to sharpen, and it takes a nice mirror polish.

I handle lots of these knives (I'm a collector and own a knife shop), and I've seen quite a lot of variation in the fit and finish quality. I had to return a couple. All the flaws were purely cosmetic, though.

If you like tinkering with your knives, get one with the rubber handle. It's easy to take off and replace with something different. Here's a pic of a Ka-Bar camp knife with a new handle on.

Since there are dozens of different choices out there, it would help to know your budget and what you plan to use the knife for.

Attached Files:

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I have an Ontario Spec Fighter that I really like. It seems to be a better made knife than the K-Bar,IMO.

9. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Ontario has fit and finish issues as well, depending on which of their lines you get. The grinds on some of their knives are just horrible, uneven as hell. Their new Ranger line is really good, though. Every bit as well done as the ones straight from Justin (http://www.rangerknives.com/). You can get the RD 6 for under $100, it's a bit thick for my taste (but then, I like girly knives), but you get a lot of performance for your money.

Ontario Ranger Series RD 6 Ready Detachment 6" Plain Edge, Tan Micarta Handle - Knifecenter.com

[​IMG]

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Franciscomv,I agree,But then just about everything made today has some sort of flaw or quality issue. Companies just don't care anymore about what gets shipped out of their factories. It is all about how fast can we make it and how much is our profit margin vs the % of crap we have to take back from the consumers buying it.
    When I went looking for one of these types of knives,I looked at many manufactures products. Some were very expensive and their quality wasn't any better than some of the cheaper knives,but there were also some that were worth the price if you wanted a knife that was going to get used often.
    I don't have many daily uses for a knife as big as the Ontario Spec Plus Fighter or similar knives,but for what I will use it for,the Ontario had what I wanted in fit & finish along with a decent steel that will last and also hold an edge.

Attached Files:

• 023.JPG
      023.JPG
      File size:
      89.5 KB
      Views:
  11. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Good lookig knives. I wonder what Hogger decided on?:)

12. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Greatest knife ever made.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

^^^^
    What this guy said. I miss mine. I'll replace it as soon as I can.

14. FullautoUSA

Get the stacked leather. Mine smells amazing.

15. FullautoUSA

I've got my own "this is a knife"

Attached Files:

16. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I have a small collection of them. My favorite knife made.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's all I'll ever get. Besides the smell, they color well with the sweat of battle and blood of my enemies. Oorah.

18. FullautoUSA

Were you in the Marines.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member