K98k problems..please help

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Slickrick214, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Slickrick214

Slickrick214 New Member

I just picked up my K98k this afternoon. When I got it of course they shipped it with the bolt out of the gun and wrapped up in bubble wrap. I'm having trouble getting the bolt back into place. The saftey lever is stuck in the far left position and I can't get it to move. How do I get the saftey lever to move again and what position does the safety lever have to be in to re-insert the bolt into position?

2. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Interesting problem. I don't have one, but the '03 Springfield is supposed to be a ripoff, er, a clone of the Mauser so perhaps the safety lever needs to be between the safe and fire positions.

3. Slickrick214

Slickrick214 New Member

Yea the Springfield 1903 mechanics is suppose to be a direct copy of Peter and Paul Mausers design. Springfield pretty much copied the locking lug design and made it their own rifle in what is now the famous 1903 Springfield.

I got onto surplus rifles website and read over the whole thing then tried it for myself. It took forever before I finally got it right and trust me I'll NEVER make that mistake again. It was a huge pain to pull back the sear and twist the bolt shield to uncock it. I practically went through the ceiling when I finally got the bolt back into position.

4. Slickrick214

Slickrick214 New Member

Ok here are the pictures.

[​IMG]
    Stand up shot

[​IMG]
    Side view of gun and Reich eagle markings.

[​IMG]
    Side view of gun again and close up of Reich eagle markings.

[​IMG]
    Side top view of manf date and arsenal markings on reciever

5. Slickrick214

Slickrick214 New Member

[​IMG]
    Top view of manf date and arsenal markings on reciever, bolt handle and on safety

[​IMG]
    View of barrel, barrel bands and cleaning rod

[​IMG]
    laying down compleate view of gun.

6. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

nice. how much did you pay?

7. Slickrick214

Slickrick214 New Member

By the time I got done with buying the gun, shipping and the transfer fee it came to about 500 dollars.

8. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Good thing you have the cleaning rod. They just look funny when the rod isn't there....

9. Slickrick214

Slickrick214 New Member

Yea I know. I was detemined to get one with a cleaning rod. Overall the gun is in good condition. The metal is pretty good. It was rated by the dealer at about 60% bluing with slight patina mix. Thats just about right to me after looking over all the metal parts once I got the gun. The bluing on the barrel and reciever is in pretty good shape. It has a few patches of patina here and there but overall the bluing is still pretty nice after 60 years. The trigger and trigger guard and floor plate are in the worst shape. The bluing is pretty much compleatly gone and its all patina. There is no pitting though so I can live with that.

10. Electron Don

Electron Don New Member

11. slammer

slammer New Member

Hi to get the bolt back in place pull the trigger and slide it in, to remove, pull trigger and take out.
    Hope to have helped

12. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Don't know much about Mausers do you?:rolleyes:

13. GarandGuy

GarandGuy New Member

To avoid a fiasco here, remember to keep the bolt cocked for removal and replacement, but you do not have to pull the trigger to remove a cocked bolt, you use the bolt release on the left rear portion of the action. And yes it is a pain in the butt to cock a bolt to replace it in the rifle as the party saw when he got his rifle. I have a severly Bubba'd K98 that I am going to donate to Stalkingbear for a caliber change / rebarrel. Why? I have no use for the 8mm / 7.92x57mm. I just hope the party that had the problem had a bench vise handy and some old rags or boards to wrap the bolt with to avoid marring. :D

14. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

bolt removal

Hawg:be nice now.he only has a 22.wait til he takes the firing pin out.
    :rolleyes: :eek: :D