k98

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by mach1337, Oct 10, 2010.

1. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

So was at a gun show last weekend with a few guys from work. we all had about 250 cash each on hand and all wanted new toys. was looking for a rifle or shotgun when we came across a guy with a few nosins and k98(brno yugo and turk) so the guy was kind enough to cut us a deal since we all wanted one. any way long story shot we got 2 k98's and 1 m48 for $500 bucks. picked up a box of surplus ammo and that was that. still havent been able to shoot it since all we can find are indoor ranges. and we really want to go out to the desert and shoot more then 50yards. tell me what yall think. the first 2 are on the tail gate at the gun show. the second 2 are since i got it home added a no drill scope mount and made a paracord gunsling.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      14.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      17.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      16.2 KB
      Views:
  2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Mausers rock, and it sounds like you guys did OK at the price you paid. Two years ago you could have had all three for about $150, but Mausers have gone way up.

AimSurplus has a great deal on the Romanian 8x57 usually. It is magnetic, so can't be fired at a range, but can be used in the dez if you have an approved spot.

3. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

sounds Great! but i havent found a spot to shoot at yet. i know that you can shoot on blm land but i dont know a good spot to go in the SD area. Anyone got any suggestions or recommendations!

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Sorry, I'm too far north to help you with Diego.

5. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

This left me scratching my head. Why would a gun be magnetic, and why would that prevent you from firing it at a range?

6. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

Ahh, Google is my friend. You meant the ammo - steel core ammo tears up the range back-stops, I get it. Pardon my ignorance.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Nothing to pardon, I should have been more specific. I was answering that post on my phone so was cramped for space/time.

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Here in CA if it sticks to a magnet, it does not matter if it is steel jacketed, or cored. Not gonna be able to shoot it at a range.

10. jpattersonnh

OK! The rifle itself is an M48 in the pics not a K98.

11. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

ok if you really want to get technical its a Turkish M1938. The M48 is Yugoslavian and has a shorter barrel. i know its not a k98 but closest thing i could get to it in my price range.

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The one with the scope and sling looks like a Turk. M48 is still a 98, though, just with a shorter action.

13. jpattersonnh

I guess that is true to a point, but not if you collect. M24, 24/47, M48.....

14. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Yeah, its definitely a Turk, if you got really luck there would be a faint "Gew 98" marking on the side rail. For most collectors a Turk is as close as they will get to owning a real untouched Gew 98. Most of the WW1 Gew 98 were sold or given away as reparations after the war and most of those guns as well as alot of the guns retained by the Germans were cut down and reworked into the K98 configuration.

You really want to see an odd ball you should check out my Israeli 98 its a 1917 Amberg Gew 98 with all the WW1 markings intact as well as a few Nazi markings and the Star of David. It is cut down and wearing a K98k stock and other odds and ends. As far as I can tell the Czechs converted it to the k98 configuration after the war and sol it to the Israelis who later converted it to 7.62X51NATO. The Czech connection is evidenced by the VZ-24 style front sight hood.

Here are a few photos:

Attached Files:

15. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

M14 there the same gun I made the sling out of paracord and did a no drill mount and scope on it.

JP not a collector just wanted a old bolt gun that i could have some fun shoothing. maybe use as a hunting rifle until i find something new that i want.

16. Highpower

Highpower New Member

There are some "collectors" out there that would want to see you covered in tar and feathers for putting that scope on that gun. Fortunately, I don't think you will find any of them here. :)

IMHO, it was your money - it's your gun to do with as you please.
    It certainly is a nice looking clean rifle. Congrats, and enjoy it.