K98 Mauser

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by PcolaCatFan, Mar 10, 2012.

1. PcolaCatFan

PcolaCatFan New Member

My father brought it back with him from WWII. We shot it together when I was 10 or 12, but I don't think he shot it again after that. He passed away last year. I took the Mauser to the range a few weeks ago. I love it. What would you guys suggest for a good scope?

Attached Files:

2. PcolaCatFan

PcolaCatFan New Member

Here's a range photo!

Attached Files:

3. chewchew

chewchew New Member

Some of the K98K sniper rifles had Kahles ZF 58 scopes or 39's.. I have some original pictures of K98K's with 4X ZF 58's on them .I'll post them mon when I get back home.

4. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

If you want to turn a $300 gun into a $125 gun any scope will work.

5. PcolaCatFan

PcolaCatFan New Member

Ruining the gun is not my intention. Getting a better look at the targets is. I've visited a lot of sights trying to get a feel for an appropriate sight.....thought someone here might have traveled this road before. That's all!

6. PcolaCatFan

PcolaCatFan New Member

Thank you!

7. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I know what you mean about seeing the target more clearly, my eyes ain't what they used to be either. As long as you can stick to a period type scope and mount, I think you're OK. I wouldn't modify the gun by drilling and tapping any holes in it. I did that with mine only because I got the gun from someone who had already messed with it and it had no more collector value. They are fun guns to shoot and yours is special because of the connection to your Dad.

8. PcolaCatFan

PcolaCatFan New Member

Exactly! I've been to some K98 web sites. There's so much info out there I'm having trouble deciding what's best for my budget without compromising the authenticity of the rifle.

9. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

You appear to have a matching early 98, and as another has said, if you want to destroy the value, then scope it. I myself suffer from aging eyes but that doesnt make me want to drill and tap an original Sharpes rifle. I just settle on the fact I can no longer shoot 1" groups at 100 yards and am satisfied with 3" groups at 50 yards. Once ANY alteration is made it can never be undone. Fewer and fewer of these unaltered guns are around anymore. Not only will the reciever be drilled and tapped, but the bolt handle will have to be ground, replaced or bent and the safety changed. The is however a solution I believe. Somebody is manufacturing a scope mount that relaces the rear sight without damage. The scope will then be a long eye relief "scout" type. This will eliminate the need for bolt or safety alteration, and the scope base can be easily removed and the rear site replaced with no alterations.

10. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I agree with the other guys, I'd sooner drill and tap my forearm than mess with a piece of history.

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

OK, The real skinny! Your Rifle was made by JP Sauer & son in 1937. It is not rare, but still a vet bring back. If you have the capture papers it could go for close to $1200.00, without them, 500.00 to 750.00. Scoping it would make it a $200.00 rifle. Pretty simple. This is a DOU 1945 that was finished by the Czechs. It is a post war build. The scope is an original, the bases are modern made in Austria. As this rifle sits, it is about $3000.00 value. It is not an original sniper, but it is correct w/ the exception of the butt plate which should be checkered and the trigger gaurd which should be standard, not winter. It stays this way to show what it truely is.

[​IMG]

12. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

The "scout scope" solution sounds like a good way to go. No alteration to the rifle that can't be brought right back and he gets to be able to scope it.

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

14. PcolaCatFan

PcolaCatFan New Member

That's what I'm looking to do.

What do you think about this?

Mauser K98 Scope Mount And Scope; Mauser Karabiner Kar K98 Rifle Scope With Mount, Rings Lens Caps ILLUMINATED RETICLE. Mount Fits on front Iron sight leaf foward of the bolt so you do not have to change the bolt handle. This Mauser Sniper Rifle Scope kit is a great deal turn your old Mauser rifle into a long range sniper hunting rifle great for hunting. You get a complete kit K98 Mauser rifle scope with Illuminated reticle with 7 power settings & Scope mount, Scope rings, lens polishing cloth and lens caps. The Reticle is laser lit for day or dusk shooting with 7 variable power settings. FITS German K98 Mauser, VZ. 24 rifle Yugo 48/48A Turned Bolt, Yugo 24/47 Straight Bolt, Turkish 1903/1937/1938/1946 & Swiss Models.

Attached Files:

15. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

That looks perfect! You can put it back to just the way your Dad gave it to you in a matter of seconds. Way to go!

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You can get a scout scope mount that replaces the rear sight assembly and does not permanently alter the gun. The scopes are pricier, but you can preserve the historical value of the rifle that way.

17. PcolaCatFan

PcolaCatFan New Member

Bought it this morning. Should be here in a few days. Thanks for everyone's advice!

18. chewchew

chewchew New Member

This is a SSg 98 K sniper rifle, cal 308 with a ZF 58 Kahles scope that sold for over 3 grand. They make rail mounts with two swivel bolts for the scope. No drilling is required. You can't find a Kahles ZF58 scope because they were proto types. I have one on my k98k .When I get home I'll take a picture of my weapons in my gun room, I have many old military weapons, except a Johnson, and I just never could get the price right with the seller. I also take some with broken stocks ect and make custom rifles out of them.
    This one you're looking at is not mine. It's an auction gun that sold for 2300 EURO.
    I will hopefully get home tomorrow. I rolled my jeep down a mountain and waiting for the insurance adjuster to look at it before I retrive it.

Attached Files:

• 050.jpg
      050.jpg
      File size:
      29.5 KB
      Views:
  19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Robo, I did the same thing of posting that info without reading all replies.

(Great minds think alike) :)

20. chewchew

chewchew New Member

Here's two I customized, one is 308 cal. Mauser 98 with Nikon and the other is Remmington 03-A3, 7mm08 with Kahles

Attached Files: