K98 8mm Find and Questions

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Immortal4419, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Immortal4419

Immortal4419 New Member

Hey all, I just got home on Leave for a few days and decided to stop by the local gun show. I had no intentions of buying anything, but what I found was a Serbian K98 8mm rifle. Nothing too crazy, fair shape even though it looks like someone scrubbed some of the metal with a scouring pad....and very nice markings. The real kicker is a small Nazi stamp on the bottom behind the trigger then what appears to be the start of David on the top behind the bolt. Its my understanding that it could have been a serbian rifle, captured by the Nazis then somehow ended up in Israel. From what Ive read the Israelis put the star of David to "purify" the weapon of the Nazis. Ive also read that most Nazi markings were removed.

Does anyone know any more info about this stuff? I was intrigued and had to pick it up, I will try to get pictures soon.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Never buy the story, buy the rifle. The story is plausible, but the Star of David was meant to show ownership more than anything. Many WWII weapons ended up in Israel

3. Immortal4419

Immortal4419 New Member

No real story here it just caught my curiosity and would like to learn more. The rifle itself is in great operating condition with an excellent bore.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Several variants of the K98k. All seem to be nice shooters. Good find, enjoy.

5. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

Take it out and shoot it. My k89 is my favorite rifle to shoot. These rifles can be tack drivers.

6. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Id love to have one, almost bought one but didnt. Had to be responsible with the money cause my pickup needed tires, the rifle was sold by the time i got enough money again...mad :(

7. Immortal4419

Immortal4419 New Member

I love shooting them as well, I usually took my buddies out but now Ive got my own. Took mine out today, worked great except that it seemed I was a little high and to the right most the time.

8. Immortal4419

Immortal4419 New Member

Serbian 1924 8mm

OK so I feel stupid calling this a K98 now, Its a 1924. I knew that but I still posted it here wrong. :confused: Here are a few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Very cool. Not that common to find one intact these days.

10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Nice rifle. I hope that front sight blade has just been knocked out of alignment. I've never seen one that far to the side before. Also check that rear action screw to make sure it is the proper length, it doesn't look like it's long enough. The Nazi crest on the wood, does not necessarily mean the action was a Nazi gun. Many were damaged during the war and were restocked with later. I'm also not sure that's a Star of David, could be I guess. Looks more like the 5-pointed star of the Russian communists to me. That would make it a Russian capture rifle which is common.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The rear action screw does look short, and that is not a capture screw with it. If you remove the action from the stock, there should be a serial number that will match the action. If it were a Russian capture rifle it would have an X stamped on the left side of the receiver, w/ some god ugly black paint covering the metal parts. It has no X. With no Waffenamp stamps on the metal, it is most likely a replacement stock. It would take very little to get the correct screws and clean her up.
    http://e-sarcoinc.com/98msrguardscrewsetwlockscrewsmltyused.aspx