K-31 Swiss

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by nitestalker, Oct 8, 2012.

1. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I thought I would try a K-31 Swiss 7.5X55 on our 1,200 meter range. This rifle along with a number of other Milsurps lives in the gun room. I found a 20X scope and mount for the K-31. The first test were with military loads using a 173 grs FMJ these shot great at 100 yds. They were very good keeping hits very regular on the 600 meter gongs.

I have read that the K-31 will not shoot the BT bullets. I order .308 BT 147 grs. bullets from Widners to feed my Garands. Having 1,000 of these bullets I decided to find out if the K-31 would shoot the BT.

After trying a number of powders with only marginal success I settled on Rl-15. The final load is 50/RL-15 fired by a Federal Gold match LR the K-31 will keep 5 well under 1 inch. This load should work well out to 700 meters. Some day very soon we will try ringing that 40 inch plate marked 700.;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've read in guns magazine that the prvi factory loads will stay at 1 moa, swiss surplus at 1 1/2 moa. Hornady also makes some, but never heard anything about their performance.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Duplicating GP11 is very tough. For a 150gr load, I use data from Hornady 7th edition. I picked up a bunch of Combined Technology 150gr BT moly coated for 16.00 per 100 a few years ago. They shoot better then any other 150 I've tried. I did pick up 1000 Privi 165gr PSPBT and after 1 set of testing It looks like a new winner. I've never heard that the K-31 will not shoot BT bullets. Guess no one told my rifle either. It is a fun caliber to reload for as I find more experimentation than w/ most calibers.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

St. Marie in his reloading Info. says the K-31 will not shoot BTs. The PRVI I bought 173 grs. was dirty and not accurate. These are really fine rifles.

5. jpattersonnh

I did read his article after I posted the other night. I really think that all the components combined are a huge factor when loading this caliber. I have some Graf brass, it shoots pretty good, good enough for 200 yard hunting. Prvi Partisan brass runs about the same. Now, I have 40 Norma cases that outshoot both by a long margin. I also use CCI 200 large rifle primers. W/ IMR4064 it seems to work very well.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Thx for your Info My best results have been with reformed .284 Winchester brass. I bought the reformed brass from Buffalo Arms some time ago. Have you tried .284 brass.?

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The real challenge in reloading for the K-31 will be the shape of the bullet. Compare the shape of the standard military load to most .308 bullets, and notice the LONG taper of the ogive. Those bullets have a better BC than most .308 bullets- designed to "reach out and touch someone" over on the next mountain.

8. jpattersonnh

That I have not.

Looks like all GP11 is boat tail, does it not??
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GP11_coupe.JPG

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sure looks like it. Am too tired to go find the kinetic puller and take down a round.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The supply of these fine rifles is about gone. Wideners Supply has all models in stock ready to ship.

11. CPFarmer

CPFarmer New Member

Gp 11

I've used several different loads in my 06/11, but the GP 11 seems to work best. Its match ammo, and is very consistent. SAMCO has the ammo fairly reasonable, and a few of the K-31s also.

12. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

Swiss K-31

nitestalker Good to talk with you again. I have a gun show coming up next month, and I am really wanting to find a Swiss K-31. I know what I want in one as I used to help out at a local gun shop, and "detailed" a lot of them that came in through directly from the importer. That shop is now gone, and I never knew what price they had on them at that time. How much do you think I would have to pay for one today. Or to put it in another way, how much would I need to get a nice one? What is the system of the Swiss, Boxer or Berdan?

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

HM2, The best deals I have seen on the Web is Widenners Ammo they have some nice ones for $299+ S&H. I bought mine years ago when they sold for $125 bucks. I expect you may find one for around $250 dollars but they are going up all the time. The surplus ammo is about gone it is Boxer primed good stuff. The Partasin Brand in the 173 grs. bullet is close to the orginal loading. I load the 147 FMJ BT I use in my Garands. The St, Marie Alumn scope mount is neat no drilling. My best loads have been reformed .284 WCF brass but the 7.5X55 Swiss works great.:)

14. jpattersonnh

GP11 is berdan primed and not reloadable w/ standard boxer die sets.

15. CPFarmer

CPFarmer New Member

Samco Global still has the K31s for $289. They also have plenty of the GP11 ammo in stock. I've got a 1906/11 and have found its probably the most fun and accurate of all my milsrp rifles. 500 meter consistent shots seem to be no problem with the Swiss guns. My 15 year old makes 1000 meter shots consistently with it. Just wish I were younger and could see the target plate at that distance. lol

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Thx for the correction on that Milsurp ammo being Berdan. I never see it for sale. I handload everything for the most part. :D

17. jpattersonnh

That's cool. I really find Norma brass is far better accuracy wise then anything else.

18. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

Berdan is OK. I have recently started to reload it when I was having trouble finding any surplus 8mm Mauser for my 98k. GP-11 shouldn't be a problem unless they use a different sized primer like the Soviet 7.62x54. Nitestalker, I think I will see if I can find a better price at the gun show first. I have a nicer old Colt Army Special 38 that I am going to try to make some kind of a swap. The guys at the gun show have less overhead, and seem a little more easy to "deal" with. My eyes can't make out the sights on the Colt any more unless I use a blinder with an iris in it

19. mag318

mag318 Member

I was lucky to acquire a couple cases of GP-11 so I have basically a lifetime supply of this very good ammunition. I'm sure all of us here will agree that these are amazing rifles that wreak of quality. Most of all they are just plain fun to shoot.

Attached Files:

20. xring3

xring3 Member

I love the K31....along with the Swedish 96 the are about the best of the mil surplus....I have 2 K31's and wish I would have got a third....I actually got a response from a troop tag on one of the rifles.